NASCAR Racing 2003

I did the Graphical Tutorial update above but my cars don't have a shadow when viewing replay. Does anyone know the source of that glitch? Its unfortunate in that it completely ruins immersion and all the good that the new updates do.
Hey there, sorry for not seeing this sooner. FYI not a super experienced NR2003 guy, but I'll try to help. I've not seen that issue specifically, but I would check through your in-game options, and perhaps enable and disable shadows a couple times, see if it helps. Could also dig through the text files -- I'm not sure which one, but I'm guessing shadows (overall, and maybe even specifically in replays) are an option configurable in one of those ini files somewhere.

Hey there, sorry for not seeing this sooner. FYI not a super experienced NR2003 guy, but I'll try to help. I've not seen that issue specifically, but I would check through your in-game options, and perhaps enable and disable shadows a couple times, see if it helps. Could also dig through the text files -- I'm not sure which one, but I'm guessing shadows (overall, and maybe even specifically in replays) are an option configurable in one of those ini files somewhere.

I think I'm all set. The preview window while not on track lacks shadows. But if I actually view replay I get full shadows. Crisis averted.

I will say that one thing Nascar Heat handles better is yellow flags. Holy crap do I have NO patience for trundling around at 55 mph...

I think I'm all set. The preview window while not on track lacks shadows. But if I actually view replay I get full shadows. Crisis averted.

I will say that one thing Nascar Heat handles better is yellow flags. Holy crap do I have NO patience for trundling around at 55 mph...
Yay - glad everything is fine.

Yeah, it is tiresome, fair enough. Does the Heat AI compare favourably to NR2003, though? The amazing offline experience is what has kept me on NR2003 so far.

Yay - glad everything is fine.

Yeah, it is tiresome, fair enough. Does the Heat AI compare favourably to NR2003, though? The amazing offline experience is what has kept me on NR2003 so far.
The AI is pretty good I have to say. Lots of satisfying races. The physics are very forgiving in that you can beat and bang and your race isn't over. NR2003 doesn't have much slack in you rubbing the car ahead in a turn and you spinning.

My problem is with car handling in general. Wish it was easier to setup cars, that menu is a nightmare. Just give me simple instructions on what to change. There is a Google Docs guide to car setup where it asks "tight in and loose out? do this..." and so on. Why not have something like that with a guided engineer, like the Moto GP series

FFB on the Heat series isn't great either. Really noticeable on road courses. It does the job on ovals. What Heat does well is provide an offline experience with an actual career mode. Its not realistic and gets a bit "grindy", but its not arcadey, you don't need to win all races or get medals or anything. Meet sponsors expectations and you get cash.

One standout is the dirt racing on NH5. It feels very wonky when you get on track for the first few laps, but once you get in the groove, it feels great. Hidden gem of this game. My pro tip: run two careers, one on really hard in the dirt series so you can work your way up, and one in Cup where you build up a team. Don't bother with Trucks or Xfinity.

The AI is pretty good I have to say. Lots of satisfying races. The physics are very forgiving in that you can beat and bang and your race isn't over. NR2003 doesn't have much slack in you rubbing the car ahead in a turn and you spinning.

My problem is with car handling in general. Wish it was easier to setup cars, that menu is a nightmare. Just give me simple instructions on what to change. There is a Google Docs guide to car setup where it asks "tight in and loose out? do this..." and so on. Why not have something like that with a guided engineer, like the Moto GP series

FFB on the Heat series isn't great either. Really noticeable on road courses. It does the job on ovals. What Heat does well is provide an offline experience with an actual career mode. Its not realistic and gets a bit "grindy", but its not arcadey, you don't need to win all races or get medals or anything. Meet sponsors expectations and you get cash.

One standout is the dirt racing on NH5. It feels very wonky when you get on track for the first few laps, but once you get in the groove, it feels great. Hidden gem of this game. My pro tip: run two careers, one on really hard in the dirt series so you can work your way up, and one in Cup where you build up a team. Don't bother with Trucks or Xfinity.
Okay, thanks for the info! Interesting to know, especially in comparison to NR2003. Probably will wait to see what this new NASCAR game is like, then. It's crazy how it's been nearly 20 years, and many killer features from NR2003 still haven't been bested...

Okay, thanks for the info! Interesting to know, especially in comparison to NR2003. Probably will wait to see what this new NASCAR game is like, then. It's crazy how it's been nearly 20 years, and many killer features from NR2003 still haven't been bested...
What got me back to NR2003 was the mods. I saw GPLaps racing with the Cup90 body shape and knew I'd have to try it. Since I've been gone, they've made carsets for almost all years. I've started a "career" with shortened seasons starting with 1984 and the Aerocup mod, and I hope to go up to '95 in the Cup90 mod. Turns out the driving is still pretty rewarding.

What got me back to NR2003 was the mods. I saw GPLaps racing with the Cup90 body shape and knew I'd have to try it. Since I've been gone, they've made carsets for almost all years. I've started a "career" with shortened seasons starting with 1984 and the Aerocup mod, and I hope to go up to '95 in the Cup90 mod. Turns out the driving is still pretty rewarding.
Do it man! That Cup90 shape looks amazing. I gotta try that out soon myself.

Mods are wonderful, for sure. Such diversity of content – for all kinds of oval racing, and even road racing (although I've never tried those, like the GTP mod). Plus there are those Armory Digital UI mods, which look super cool. I've never been able to get them working (wish they weren't complicated to install) but must be awesome to use.

My only wish would be for alternative physics possibilities as a base. Like, imagine proper open-wheel IndyCar physics with a NR2003 base for AI etc... damn. I wonder if the legal remnants of Papyrus would still litigate over an alternative EXE in 2021...

I wonder if the legal remnants of Papyrus would still litigate over an alternative EXE in 2021...
Which would be ironic since they released the alternative physics to NR2003 allowing this super modding in a hissy against EA for taking the NASCAR license...

I tried a UI mod in game too, so I could get the 80's TNN graphics but it never worked right with an ultrawide monitor and I just went back to basics.

For those looking to get into NR2003 and make it look and feel as good as possible in 2021, a list of resources to check out is below.

Installation tutorial (including legit download links to the game itself, which is abandonware):

Updating the graphics (and not having FPS die because of it) with 4K skies, 4 GB patch etc:
*Note: the Revamped Reloaded shared folder is NOT required, and you should only install it if you want NR2003 to look like 2016-2019.

Sound mod for "Gen4" (1992-2006) NASCAR engines, pit sounds, wind noise:

Jimmie Johnson crew chief (Chad Knaus) and spotter pack (David Osborne):
*Note: this is the precursor to the iRacing Jimmie Johnson pack, if you'e familiar with that one.

Website with links to car mods:

Website with links to track mods:

Arguably the prettiest and most 'modern' tracks for NR2003:

Mod to comprehensively update the UI with MANY options:

Last edited:
my g25 doesn't work properly

if the pedals are configured, the steering wheel does not work

if the steering wheel is turning, the pedals do not work

even configuring by the g25 profiler and directly on windows are the same

nr2004, nascar15, rfactor and ets2 work fines

Last edited:
That's a really weird issue. Sounds like they're getting bound to the same axis or something. Did NR2003 ever work for you before with that wheel and PC? If so, I'd suggest a separate new NR2003 install. Many times I've solved weird undiagnosable issues with a clean install, upon which the issues are suddenly gone... who knows why.

it is the first time i use g25 on nr2003.
I uninstalled euro truck simulator 2, all c++ and net framework and it didn't work.
I reinstalled with patch 1201 but without the fix and it's still the same
I tested 4 types of profiles and it didn't solve.

it is the first time i use g25 on nr2003.
I uninstalled euro truck simulator 2, all c++ and net framework and it didn't work.
I reinstalled with patch 1201 but without the fix and it's still the same
I tested 4 types of profiles and it didn't solve.
Really surprising. Unless a G25 isn't well-supported in Windows 10 (which I don't think is true) then I don't see why older hardware like a G25 wouldn't work with an older sim like NR2003. There's a solution, I'm sure.

The issue is almost certainly that NR2003 sees your wheel as being on the same axis as your pedals. Go into the control assignment page in NR2003 – is that consistent with what you see? Perhaps worth checking if your wheel and pedals are recognized in Logitech software as being on separate axes i.e. can move independently at the same time? I doubt the solution is to uninstall other games or C++ frameworks... feels like a wheel driver issue. Perhaps uninstall and reinstall those?

Also, I don't know how Logitech wheels work, but my old Thrustmaster had a switch to move between PC mode and PS3 mode -- and would behave very strangely if not set correctly. If a G25 has a similar switch (and I don't know if it does) then worth checking to see if that's set correctly?

i'm using windows 7 64 bits

the axes are separated.

pressing all pedals and steering wheel at the same time, they rotate apart

I tested 4 types of profiles. 508, 509 and 510, all 32 and 64 bit, separately or all together 508 64bit doesn't run alone,

I'm using 510 64bit

alone g25 and g27 don't have change key

was trying to use an xbox 360 control emulator with no success

where is the nr2003 log file? I'm not finding it.

Last edited:
the axes are separated.

pressing all pedals and steering wheel at the same time, they rotate apart
Interesting. If you open NR2003 and click Options -> Controls -> Calibrate, so they move as independent axes as well? If so, then you should be able to assign those axes to steering, throttle, and brake, and then everything should be fixed. Also, check that you have selected "DirectInput Driver" under Controller Options at the top left.

If the axes don't move independently, though, I'm not sure what to suggest other than reinstalling wheel drivers. It's possible there are issues specific to Win7 that I don't know about here.

where is the nr2003 log file? I'm not finding it.
What do you mean? What are you looking for, exactly?

yes, all axes move independently

"DirectInput Driver" is selected

I will install nr2003 again

I'm downloading nr2003 from elsewhere to test

maybe there's something in the .log file that will help me find the conflict between the pedals and the steering wheel

Last edited:
i installed it again but the same error remains

this download and the old one showed this message, even after uninstalling all c++ and net framework

Attachments

• Sem títulooo.png
    Sem títulooo.png
    846.1 KB · Views: 140

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back