Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've been on here with the holidays and work taking up most my time. I hate that there is still no damage and caution's in multiplayer that hurts any chance of this league working I would think. I really want a NASCAR League hopefully we can get something in the future. :)

We're still going to give a go or at least try but anymore than 16 (Party Chat Limitations) will not allow us to have cautions. Cautions are probably not a big deal on 1.5 mile tracks or more but impossible to not have on short tracks.

I may push back the season start. I need to do a better job promoting and communicating. Anyone that needs help with setups contact me and we can practice on party chat while in offline practice sessions. I would like a competitive season. I'm also going to go through the sign up and confirm those that are still interested in racing. Would be nice to have at least a solid 16 drivers every week until the Championship. And just to keep things simple will be using last years point system. I still don't fully understand what they are doing in NASCAR until I see the first couple of races scored.

Mike, I'm game (working in Richmond now, though), but the lack of realism is troubling. No damage? Any idea if they will patch that or punt? Peter speaks highly of the game and he's on a wheel. Are the physics good? I can forgive a lot if they get that right.

Mike, I'm game (working in Richmond now, though), but the lack of realism is troubling. No damage? Any idea if they will patch that or punt? Peter speaks highly of the game and he's on a wheel. Are the physics good? I can forgive a lot if they get that right.
Sorry Robert, I've been a little swamped at work. I think the game is as done as it will get at this point until the Sequal which is supposed to include a lot of things that were left out in this title. Lack of cautions and damage online does kind of suck, but the fact that other players are all over the track with controllers, makes it a bit of wreck-fest anyway. I've noticed that Controller players are still a bit faster in some instances even though their cars are swerving all over the place and smoking though the corners they seem to still pull away and its near impossible to pass them as they can't really hold it steady in the corners. Wheel users are far more predictable and linear in their movements. The physics are okay for wheel users. The cars feel real heavy, and you have to enter into the corners high and drive down to the apex of the corner of the car will inadvertently slide up and hit the wall. By that same token if you drive it hard down into the bottom of the corner you will probably slide up and hit the car you're trying to pass, so they did get that right. It feels pretty good with a wheel, but there are improvements that can be made with that and graphics. But the overtaking keeps Oval racing pretty fun.

Daytona

February 24th 8pm

daytona-500-duels-21816-getty-ftrjpg_1clfyf8f2jv7ez37vedmlwgne.jpg
Custom Setups
Simulation Physics
Sessions:
Qualifying 3%
Race length 50%
Points based on NASCAR scale starting at Number of Cars entered.
+3 for Winner (+3 Bonus Chase Points and Automatically entered into the Chase)
+1 for Lap Leader
+1 for Most Laps Lead

Confirmed Entry List:
#19- Michael Watts
#27- Bob Warren

Last edited:
Daytona

February 24th 8pm

daytona-500-duels-21816-getty-ftrjpg_1clfyf8f2jv7ez37vedmlwgne.jpg
Custom Setups
Simulation Physics
Sessions:
Qualifying 3%
Race length 50%
Points based on NASCAR scale starting at Number of Cars entered.
+3 for Winner (+3 Bonus Chase Points and Automatically entered into the Chase)
+1 for Lap Leader
+1 for Most Laps Lead

Confirmed Entry List:
#19- Michael Watts
#27- Bob Warren- omracer

Last edited:
Mike, I'll elaborate later, but this game exceeded my expectations (and Peter's) by about 1000%. Sure, there are still some major issues, but I think they nailed the important stuff. I'd be glad to participate (time permitting) in any league you create. Count me in for this one.

P.S. - I have run up to Richmond in my career (on my You Tube); 50% races, full damage, SIM physics. I'm 24th I think. Being "in the pack" is so enjoyable, I sometimes forget to be patient. The A.I., IMO, are almost flawless.

Sorry Robert, I've been a little swamped at work. I think the game is as done as it will get at this point until the Sequal which is supposed to include a lot of things that were left out in this title. Lack of cautions and damage online does kind of suck, but the fact that other players are all over the track with controllers, makes it a bit of wreck-fest anyway. I've noticed that Controller players are still a bit faster in some instances even though their cars are swerving all over the place and smoking though the corners they seem to still pull away and its near impossible to pass them as they can't really hold it steady in the corners. Wheel users are far more predictable and linear in their movements. The physics are okay for wheel users. The cars feel real heavy, and you have to enter into the corners high and drive down to the apex of the corner of the car will inadvertently slide up and hit the wall. By that same token if you drive it hard down into the bottom of the corner you will probably slide up and hit the car you're trying to pass, so they did get that right. It feels pretty good with a wheel, but there are improvements that can be made with that and graphics. But the overtaking keeps Oval racing pretty fun.

No worries Mike. Topsy turvy here too. Read you loud and clear on the final polish and expectations for the sequel. I hope that's the case. I got the game about two weeks ago and have been mightily impressed. This, after being exclusively dedicated to the physics in iRT and Assetto (benchmarks for the console IMO). Lack of cautions and damage online certainly needs to be addressed, but in a league full of veterans, there is no reason that an honor system would not work. You make contact with another that causes him or you to lose control, or any other structure that is not a car, then you must pit. Throw in a competition caution (can't believe I'm saying that) and you would have a half decent on line race. The damage system needs revision too. It's basically just for show. But that's okay -- it's there, so they are working towards something.

I agree almost completely with your physics assessment and especially the fun factor and very very intense immersion. This may shock you, but I rate NASCAR up there with Assetto. Why? Here is what I told Peter:

So far the game has far exceeded my expectations. You have a genuine connection to the road, which was missing from '09 and '15. You can actually feel the slip angle, and the tires stretching...a feat, even for hardcore sims. What's more, there is a perfect amount of "float" to these babies, which is natural. You are constantly reminded that you are in a race car, but it's not a GT3 car. The acceleration is sublime, and on par with what I would expect.

The give and take between cars is perfect. You can indeed "swap paint" with them, which is critical, but you can also spin if you aren't careful. I agree with you, that there are as many lines as the real tracks. What they lack in background graphics, they more than make up for in track detail. I felt dips, humps, and gulleys. The asphalt was well detailed, and the frame rate was solid. The replays are fantastic too. Too bad you can't save them.

The setups are as detailed as any pCARS setup and the pit lane changes are right on point. The tracks, if not laser scanned, are as accurate as Codemasters. And I know, I have been to Atlanta, Richmond, Bristol, Charlotte, and Martinsville.

Maybe the ohysics aren't perfect, but they feel close to it. Maybe NASCAR requires a bit of disconnect (I think so) in that a game like NHE can nail it w/o much trouble? Whatever the reason, there is plenty to be thrilled about. I noticed the road feel straight away. It's almost like a rattling against a hard suspension. I've been on an oval, and yes, especially in a race car that size, it rattles and you can feel the bumps in the road. Not the undulating kind, but the grooves. That's important, at least to me.

Then, there is a sort of bouncy steering that you can do with your front wheels or your rear foot. The cars are amazingly controllable. You might think I have lost my marbles, but the weight, the transfer of weight, the bounce in the suspension, and the accuracy of the feel, in anyone's mind, put NASCAR on par with Assetto. These ovals are very very hard to get right. Ask SMS. The way you can hang your rear end out in a turn, you can bounce off of traffic and get lucky...more than once. And you can feel connected to the road; so much so that you feel almost comfortable in the pack. Unlike any other game I have ever played, this one transfers that give and take that only NASCAR oval racing can produce. That's the real lifeblood of the sport, and why to this day the tracks like Bristol and Martinsville have so much character...because they are throwbacks.

All this gushing, but it does have weak points. I think the A.I. are just about perfect on "hard" except for the part you mention -- the speed disparity is sometimes a little much. You really don't see that in real life, but you see a form of it. I know what they are trying to convey, and it works in the big picture, as 1-15 is a tough nit to crack, and 16-42 is easier. But sometimes you blow by the #1 car like he's standing still. lol.

These tracks have massive personality also. I remember that at Phoenix many drivers would cut the yellow line in two almost, so I experimented with a lower than yellow line. I may have gotten in trouble, but my rationale was "hey, it's NASCAR" or "they already cut one corner at Phoenix."

Yes everything has gone smoothly and is in place. Currently on Windstream with test 89mps download. Looking forward to getting back to racing soon. I'm eagerly awaiting PCars 2 looks like it will be epic.

If GTR3 does not steal their thunder, we could have two "best" all around racers. F1 has gotten so good that we are getting the league back together here, following the schedule. And if Assetto gets private lobbies, as promised in the next patch, it iwll be hard to rival that game in the tire and physics departments.

#21 - OctoberDusk06

The original schedule says Daytona 250 miles Jan 20th 2017. But I assume it's this Friday instead?

We're still going to give a go or at least try but anymore than 16 (Party Chat Limitations) will not allow us to have cautions. Cautions are probably not a big deal on 1.5 mile tracks or more but impossible to not have on short tracks.

I still say Skype should be used for more than 16. It's more reliable, clearer, and less taxing on the system. You just have to set it up, which anyone can do.

Failing that, party chat is good. Question: Spotters. Are they in multiplayer? I run w/o tags and spotters will be crucial for me. I actually fine him very helpful in the game. I'd worry about a clash of move calls on party chat vs. the sponsor, which I need to hear. I think the best solution is to lower the chat volume in party just enough to hear a caution being called. I'll check the rules for that scenario.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.