header-24h-rennen-960x295-mit-logo-v2-eng-He.jpg

This is of the biggest GT races of the year, so I thought it warrants a discussion thread.

I've really started to love watching GT racing this year for the first time, and this is one of the most important races. I'm still learning a lot about this, but the top class, 'SP9' is for GT3 cars, and most of the major manufacturers are present, with factory support and a lot of the factory drivers also. We have Porsche with multiple teams including Manthey Racing, Audi with WRT and (last years winners) Land Motorsport amongst others and Mercedes. Also present this year is Aston Martin with a full works entry with what will be the last major GT endurance race for the V12 Vantage GT3 (#007), before the new V8 version arrives next year.

There's already been a 'qualifying race' a few weeks ago, and free practice and (night) qualifying 1 was yesterday. Today there is qualifying 2 at 14:55 and the top 30 qualifying shootout (at night) starting at 19:00.

Tomorrow, Saturday 12th May, the warm up is 09:10 – 10:10 with the race start at 15:30.

All times taken from the official timetable here: http://www.nuerburgring.de/uploads/media/180313-24h-Rennen-Zeitplan_01.pdf so are local German time.

Official website: http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/events-tickets/automobile/adac-zurich-24-hour-race.html

International Livestream, provided by Vodafone Germany with the commentary feed from Radio LeMans RS1:
There also are various onboard cams available if you search youtube.

Radio LeMans audio feed (channel RS1): http://radiolemans.0157.org/nplayer.php

Unfortunately I got my timing wrong and missed the top 30 shootout but was able to rewind the livestream and catch most of it.

Laurens Vanthoor did an absolutely mega lap to get pole in the #911 Manthey Porsche, setting a new record for the N24 in the process!

Top 10:
top10.PNG

Full results of the shootout can be found here: http://24hrennenassets.azureedge.ne...ualifying-Gesamt-Top-30-Qualifying-Result.pdf

Here's the pole lap. An absolute masterclass in how to drive the Nordschleife!!!

Looking forward to the race tomorrow!
:D

Was watching the splits for that car & thinking "this is going to be huge" - then *pow*. Given it's Manthey, also a masterclass in setting a car up for the place.

Nicki Thiim flogging that ancient Aston is something I'd like to see the onboard of too. The old GTE car will still be doing Le Mans in the AM class, it's not quite dead yet - I'm not completely sure how the WEC superseason works but I think it'll also be there next year too? I expect to see customer GT3s around a bit still.

Last edited:
Was watching the splits for that car & thinking "this is going to be huge" - then *pow*. Given it's Manthey, also a masterclass in setting a car up for the place.

Nicki Thiim flogging that ancient Aston is something I'd like to see the onboard of too. The old GTE car will still be doing Le Mans in the AM class, it's not quite dead yet - I'm not completely sure how the WEC superseason works but I think it'll also be there next year too? I expect to see customer GT3s around a bit still.
Yeah that was a great lap by Nicki - I follow him across all of his social media channels and he's a top bloke. I was trying to find the onboard of his lap today, but sadly I was too late as you can only rewind the live streams 4hrs.

You may have seen this one... Nicki commentating on a lap from practice for the qualification race a few weeks ago:
I think the 'old' Aston will still be around until the end of the Superseason but as you say this year is slightly odd as the season is longer. You would think they would have to keep the same car for the whole season.

Surprised that the 24h gets no traction on RD, not even a frontpage post meanwhile f1 gets all the coverage. Outstanding perfomance by Thiim and Aston :D

That was outstanding. Some amazing skill on display in appalling conditions. What a thrilling climax to the race. My first time watching N24 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I really fallen in love with GT racing this year!
I was supporting Manthey (and Aston) so happy they won, but was gutted when the #911 crashed out as they were dominating.

Shame it didn't have some more coverage on RD, whilst F1 gets it all. I did watch the F1 race today but only after this had finished and it's pretty simple which was the more exciting!

Couldn't help myself... did some victory donuts in my #912 porsche skin to celebrate!

Here's the thing, RD staff juggle life, work etc. along with what happens on here and with Paul being ill for some weeks previously unfortunately some stuff gets missed.
Maybe a prompt a week or two before would have served as a reminder.
Alternatively maybe, what about writing something up yourselves and sending it to @Paul Jeffrey
I agree that judging by the highlights this was some race and hopefully RD will be on it next time.

Here's the thing, RD staff juggle life, work etc. along with what happens on here and with Paul being ill for some weeks previously unfortunately some stuff gets missed.
Maybe a prompt a week or two before would have served as a reminder.
Alternatively maybe, what about writing something up yourselves and sending it to @Paul Jeffrey
I agree that judging by the highlights this was some race and hopefully RD will be on it next time.
Yeah no probs I understand... thats why I made a thread. If I'd have had a bit more time I would have put more info at the top. Also didn't know what else to do with it but will know for next time! ... Maybe for the 24hrs of Spa, although that one will likely have some attention already in relation to the new AC game as its part of the Blancpain series as well as being in Intercontinental GT Challenge... I look forward to these endurance races more that F1 this year it seems... never thought that would happen!

:)

I look forward to these endurance races more that F1 this year it seems... never thought that would happen!

That'll be the end of F1 for you soon :) there's almost more GT racing than you can watch once you realise how good it can be. Pretty soon you'll have gone down the slippery slope of touring cars & national series, and F1 will be a passing fancy. I can't remember the last time I paid any attention to a F1 race. The madness of top class prototypes more than filled any need for superfast vehicles but that's come to an end for a while, unfortunately.

That'll be the end of F1 for you soon :) there's almost more GT racing than you can watch once you realise how good it can be. Pretty soon you'll have gone down the slippery slope of touring cars & national series, and F1 will be a passing fancy. I can't remember the last time I paid any attention to a F1 race. The madness of top class prototypes more than filled any need for superfast vehicles but that's come to an end for a while, unfortunately.
Haha. Yes, although I'm still watching WEC, but mainly for GTE. Fingers crossed for the new LMP regulations will be more road/hyper car lookalike... looks like Aston and others would be interested. Also fingers crossed for the next set of F1 regulations.

GTE will top this double season the LMP. FIA and ACO have lost total the way with their hybrid hype, cars are too expansive. Not to mention the crazy BoP for the the non Hybrid LMP1. If the two Toyota´s will fail as usual - we will have a real race in LMP1 - otherwise total boredom in this class and Toyota and ACO will be succcessfull by predeterming a 24h victory.

The only way LMP1 is going to look like hypercars is if they use BoP - prototypes all look how they are now because that's the best shape for the rules. I don't want more BoP, it's just a fancy name for spec racing and I'm more interested in the engineering than drivers. We've had enormously close endurance events in the past without any idea of BoP beyond technical regulations. Let's not go into changing BoP mid race like is actually possible in some series, that's just so open to abuse it's not remotely funny.

I reckon GTE-Am is the one to watch this season. But really, if you want racing, GT4 is where it's currently at - the GT3 of years ago.

Does anyone know where I can rewatch the race? I couldn't catch it live, so I watched six hours of the stream recording, but it got taken down eventually. Haven't been able to find it anywhere since then. Anyone have a link for a full reupload somewhere? I know I'm kinda late to the party, I was hoping it was just a mistake and they would reupload it, but It seemingly hasn't happened.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back