MGP18 MotoGP 18 - First Gameplay Footage (and it looks goooood)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
MotoGP 18 1.jpg MotoGP 18 2.jpg MotoGP 18 3.jpg MotoGP 18 4.jpg MotoGP 18 5.jpg MotoGP 18 6.jpg
Milestone have released the first gameplay footage from MotoGP 18 using the Unreal 4 engine, showing a very visually pleasing new title.

Although only just over one minute in length, this new video release from the upcoming MotoGP 18 title is the first time we have seen the Unreal 4 game engine in action, and judging from what we've been shown so far it looks like a very visually impressive title and a step up in every respect from previous iterations of the long running MotoGP official game series.

Visual impressions aside, one thing that does cause some concern is the current version of the game AI. Although in the early development stages, it concerns me greatly that the player (using the Valentino Rossi Yamaha) can race with Marc Marquez without some kind of dirty move by the Spaniard.. not realistic at all...

In other MotoGP 18 news, check out this interesting video behind the scenes 'Making of' video:

MotoGP 18 will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC this June 7th, with Nintendo Switch release to follow later in the year.

Check out the MotoGP 18 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news from the official videogame of the MotoGP bike racing series.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to MotoGP 18? Like the look of the upcoming title? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
From my point of view, the brake points are wrong because (like previous games) you can pull the brakes in an unrealistically way to the lean angle. So learn how to make a good trail braking will not be a concern...

They could do a good simcade just remembering those two essencial things of riding motorcycles: trail braking and tire temperature (maintain in the correct temperature to maintain the grip).

In my opinion if those two itens had been applied we would have much more realism in their physics...

From my point of view, the brake points are wrong because (like previous games) you can pull the brakes in an unrealistically way to the lean angle. So learn how to make a good trail braking will not be a concern...

They could do a good simcade just remembering those two essencial things of riding motorcycles: trail braking and tire temperature (maintain in the correct temperature to maintain the grip).

In my opinion if those two itens had been applied we would have much more realism in their physics...

Precisely. I completely agree.

All those years ago Melbourne House got all of this right..and what enabled them to get it right was a realistic and fully functioning tyre wear / tyre grip algorithm.

Milestone to date have not been able to achieve the same thing. Which is a great shame and something which has "hamstrung" the level of realism in their games.

Milestone talk a lot in their developer interview video about the importance of tyres..I wonder if anything much has changed or improved in this respect? I sincerely hope so as it would raise the standard of the whole motogp series. So far I am not seeing it..

Precisely. I completely agree.

All those years ago Melbourne House got all of this right..and what enabled them to get it right was a realistic and fully functioning tyre wear / tyre grip algorithm.

Milestone to date have not been able to achieve the same thing. Which is a great shame and something which has "hamstrung" the level of realism in their games.

Milestone talk a lot in their developer interview video about the importance of tyres..I wonder if anything much has changed or improved in this respect? I sincerely hope so as it would raise the standard of the whole motogp series. So far I am not seeing it..
Milestone actually did SBK2001, I don't recall a game having such a nice physics. Unfortunately it was a long time ago and the people in the company and it's direction changed towards casual gamers

Milestone actually did SBK2001, I don't recall a game having such a nice physics. Unfortunately it was a long time ago and the people in the company and it's direction changed towards casual gamers

Yes SBK 2001 was a top quality and nicely polished SBK racing game. So was SBK 2000 as well.. I love the RC45s in SBK 2000. Problem is SBK 2000 will only run on a windows 98 pc.. I still quite regularly race on them both. And yes the tyre wear modelling does work quite well. I think gp500 and SBK2000/2001 in terms of their physics, as mainstream racing games, have still not been bettered tbh.. ;)

Unfortunately crash physics is still non existant, respawn even faster than in MotoGP17! This is ridiculous. When I talked to Baldassarri, (from Pons team) during Le Mans GP, I just told, if you would be in MotoGP game, you'd respawn quickly in matter of seconds, and still would be able to win. As you know he crashed then...

Played this morning on an Xbox One S & the graphics are shocking, blurry/low res text in menus & on track graphics is a blurry mess. You cannot even make out the detail on the back of riders!?. Is it patchable? Do Milestone even know? Did they test?

If this is supposed to showcase the new engine they need to fix asap because i think the majority are not using the newer version of consoles

Unfortunately crash physics is still non existant, respawn even faster than in MotoGP17! This is ridiculous. When I talked to Baldassarri, (from Pons team) during Le Mans GP, I just told, if you would be in MotoGP game, you'd respawn quickly in matter of seconds, and still would be able to win. As you know he crashed then...
varying severity of crashes that determines rider injury/bike damage=continue or not in race would be sim, also maybe throw in the manual bike recovery that was in Superbike 2001
Would be nice offline as alternative to quitting race when crashing, cannot see it ever applying to online racing so doubt Milestone would bother

Last edited by a moderator:
Played this morning on an Xbox One S & the graphics are shocking, blurry/low res text in menus & on track graphics is a blurry mess. You cannot even make out the detail on the back of riders!?. Is it patchable? Do Milestone even know? Did they test?

If this is supposed to showcase the new engine they need to fix asap because i think the majority are not using the newer version of consoles

Same here on my standard Xbox, really really blurry

Nothing like all the videos I watched the past few days, very disappointed.

It was late last night and I didn’t restart the console, I am wondering if the day 1 patch had not applied?

In an ideal world an SBK 2001 style "full crash recovery" mode (running back to the bike etc. as opposed to an "arcade" style respawn) could be an on/off option for online racing. If ppl wanted it, say in a league race, they could simply turn that option on when the host sets up the private lobby. Or I guess you could even run with it if you preferred for online public lobbies in longer races?

I actually sent my own version of an SBK 2001 video to the "modern" Milestone Development team back in 2014 to remind them about the "full crash recovery option" that was available in SBK 2001, as part of our consultation exercise with them.. They chose to completely ignore our suggestion to put a similar option into their modern era motogp games.. What can you do?

Shocking to hear how bad the graphics on on the last generation "standard power" consoles. Everything Milestone does seems rushed since motogp 13.

Last edited by a moderator:
I applied the patch before playing, version 1.0.0.3 i think it is, for people not using standard consoles we are talking MotoGP 10/11 style blurry graphics, i noticed it straight away on start menu.

Surely the majority of players dont have newest consoles? First day of release & i expect them to start getting hammered on social media.

There is also bug in controller config, Right Stick is locked & cannot be assigned to anything other than 'Rotate Camera' which is a bummer for me as i used it to tuck, plus, the graphics in Photo Mode are even more disgusting so i wont be rotating any cameras lol

In an ideal world an SBK 2001 style "full crash recovery" mode (running back to the bike etc. as opposed to an "arcade" style respawn) could be an on/off option for online racing. If ppl wanted it, say in a league race, they could simply turn that option on when the host sets up the private lobby. Or I guess you could even run with it if you preferred for online public lobbies in longer races?

I actually sent my own version of an SBK 2001 video to the "modern" Milestone Development team back in 2014 to remind them about the "full crash recovery option" that was available in SBK 2001, as part of our consultation exercise with them.. They chose to completely ignore our suggestion to put a similar option into their modern era motogp games.. What can you do?

Shocking to hear how bad the graphics on on the last generation "standard power" consoles. Everything Milestone does seems rushed since motogp 13.
Thats italians for you, you dont even make as much as a suggestion (especially regarding theyre baby motogp) as they'll throw there hands up, "mama mia" something or other & go the opposite way

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.0%