MGP18 MotoGP 18 - First Gameplay Footage (and it looks goooood)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
MotoGP 18 1.jpg MotoGP 18 2.jpg MotoGP 18 3.jpg MotoGP 18 4.jpg MotoGP 18 5.jpg MotoGP 18 6.jpg
Milestone have released the first gameplay footage from MotoGP 18 using the Unreal 4 engine, showing a very visually pleasing new title.

Although only just over one minute in length, this new video release from the upcoming MotoGP 18 title is the first time we have seen the Unreal 4 game engine in action, and judging from what we've been shown so far it looks like a very visually impressive title and a step up in every respect from previous iterations of the long running MotoGP official game series.

Visual impressions aside, one thing that does cause some concern is the current version of the game AI. Although in the early development stages, it concerns me greatly that the player (using the Valentino Rossi Yamaha) can race with Marc Marquez without some kind of dirty move by the Spaniard.. not realistic at all...

In other MotoGP 18 news, check out this interesting video behind the scenes 'Making of' video:

MotoGP 18 will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC this June 7th, with Nintendo Switch release to follow later in the year.

Check out the MotoGP 18 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news from the official videogame of the MotoGP bike racing series.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to MotoGP 18? Like the look of the upcoming title? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Another thing I noticed is that AI seems to lack commitment to their line whenever they turn in, they seem to hesitate before commiting to their line. Kinda looks like they're weaving? Lets hope this isn't maxed out difficulty and that it has to do with how they implemented difficulty this year if there is indeed a slider?
That's how AI has always been in milestone games. I think it's related to the way AI follows the "spline".

And yes there will be a slider, with a maximum percentage of 120%

That's how AI has always been in milestone games. I think it's related to the way AI follows the "spline".

And yes there will be a slider, with a maximum percentage of 120%

Might've picked up on it cause I haven't played MGP17 in awhile, hopefully the spline can be adjusted like in the previous title so it can be cleaned up a bit.

Also thank you for informing me, slider difficulty will be nice to fine tune once/if the splines can be worked on.
Oh, crazy thought maybe, since it's a preview build... Could it be that they just slapped on the spline from 2017? I think in the gameplay of Austin I saw them cut a corner/hop a kerb following a certain line...

Might've picked up on it cause I haven't played MGP17 in awhile, hopefully the spline can be adjusted like in the previous title so it can be cleaned up a bit.

Also thank you for informing me, slider difficulty will be nice to fine tune once/if the splines can be worked on.
Oh, crazy thought maybe, since it's a preview build... Could it be that they just slapped on the spline from 2017? I think in the gameplay of Austin I saw them cut a corner/hop a kerb following a certain line...
Hmm I don't think so, they probably redrew the spline for each track. Also the latest video features the final version of the game (No more preview build).
If I remember correctly, the waving effect you described was caused by a slower AI preset, so maybe it will be less evident on higher difficulties. Though it's on a new engine so I can't really say anything at this stage.

Hmm I don't think so, they probably redrew the spline for each track. Also the latest video features the final version of the game (No more preview build).
If I remember correctly, the waving effect you described was caused by a slower AI preset, so maybe it will be less evident on higher difficulties. Though it's on a new engine so I can't really say anything at this stage.

Figured it would have something to do with that as they're basically not taking the corners at the proper speed to compensate for the player's lack of skill.

However them taking the wrong line would probably not be due to that system as they're following an invisible line...I hope you can work your spline magic on this one, XReal was a great add-on to have even for the texture updates alone!

1:48 - in old game (2017) shadows realistically changes as bike pass different lamps, in new - it doesn't !? It's always just one shadow ! Wtf ? :mad: Where's my refund button ? :devilish::D
AGAIN, very same thing !?!
What are they doing, are they blind ? I know for sure - I ain't.
In in 2017 game all was ok so can't understand how can they screw it up this time ? Maybe we can blame new engine. But does it matter... :unsure:

AGAIN, very same thing !?!
What are they doing, are they blind ? I know for sure - I ain't.
Look, for example, at 2:00 - shadow stay the same, doesn't matter that driver passes many reflectors. Oh ****....
In in 2017 game all was ok so can't understand how can they screw it up this time ? Maybe we can blame new engine. But does it matter... :unsure:
It's because the lights you see around the track aren't the one creating the shadows. Basically, they are using 2 hidden static lights to brighten the environment (there are two shadows), and then they place the artificial lights around the circuit. But these lights are just visual, they are not actually lithing the scene :)
Probably it would have consumed too many resources to make the it real-life-like

Maybe you didn't read what I have said.
It worked for them in last year game. How ? Was it old engine better ? :cautious:
I got what you said. UE4 can do it too, they just decided to go this way to save some resources for other things I guess (phsyics simulation, graphics).

Anyway, here you guys can see how good the new tracks are, not perfect, but still:
JPYYaFw.jpg

And this is what it could potentially look like:
hvim4HC.jpg

The last part of a french review talks about the AI and difficulty :

"On the other hand, if there is one thing that has not changed, and this is certain, it is that the AI will still manage to annoy us. Always mechanical, it follows most of the time his little rail without taking too much risk. At the moment of contact, it always seems as robust and the player is often the only one to be penalized by a fall or a exit of trajectory which can be fatal. Without being dramatic, this AI would make us almost forget that we are in 2018 and unless we increase significantly our level of difficulty, we overcome it easily, as it is predictable. The problem is that by moving the cursor to the right, the AI gradually becomes capable of completely crazy accelerations and braking, which you will never be able to do. So it's pretty frustrating, you'll agree. We also shared our remarks with the developers present on site, we can hope that things are better balanced at the end of the game, June 7."

So yeah, Milestone's definition of a difficulty slider is just to boost braking, acceleration and probably top speed to crazy levels to compensate for their disappointing AI.
I can't wait to see the Aprilia go 400 km/h :cautious:

I still have my point.
If the gameplay will be moddable I'll buy it, otherwise I'll skip this year.
I don't think so... have a look at Monster Energy and MXGP3, I've saw a way to mod the .pak files but the physics appears to be a compiled DLL (PhysX3.dll). They have one default (I think from the engine itself) and other under a folder named "ThirdParty " that I think it could be the physics folder of the old engine... but I didn't found any way to mod it...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.