Monitor & TV

In GTRE I tried several settings from general settings (max, high, medium) to chaning FOV, level of detail, with/wothout shadows and so on.

But about sitting to close, I tried some distance view to quickly see the differences. Now I've watched a cockpit view replay from a distance and it actualy did look better, maybe even much better. Despite the flickering trees (which were also not as annoying) also the cars that that are in front of me in a distance looked better. Less overall shimmering.

This makes me think I've should have bought a smaller TV, like 37 instead of 47 inch.

Regarding the card, it would be the Ati 4850 512mb. Comparable to the 9800gt, but worth trying I think.

• Jacek Kozlowski

You see Ivo ,when You sit so close to TV -1m-1.5m its really better to have somthing about 37".I sit alsow about 1.5m away from my TV and everything works great but i have 32" its really enough but now i see that extra 5" would be good too:becky:

Maybe go for Samsung 37" FULLHD tv,im sure its gonna work fine...just a suggestion:)

I hope I can return the TV, they do have a policy to return it within 7 days according to their website. But they told me by phone they are not going to take it back. Tried it now via email so lets see.

What exact TV you have Jacek? I am considering a 32" now and I am not sure if I would risk a 37" to be honest.

Today I wil return my videocard, maybe I go for the 4870 but not sure yet. It's very nice indeed, but pretty expensive. The choice would be easier if they take my TV back ofcourse :becky:

i drive w/ my laptop's 17" wide :D

don't forget: the bigger the screen, the more distant you should be from it, if you care for your eyes.

and as it has already been said, lcd's are cheaper and don't get pixel burnt like the plasmas ;)

• Jacek Kozlowski

Ivo my Samsung model is LN32A551 from 5series fullHD,
You can find a reviev of similar model by CNET,just instead 551 on the end of number has 450 so i think mein is newer,on Youtube (just put Samsung 32" in your YT browser).
Really i dont have any problems with it,playing everything on 1920-1080 and everything looks great,no smugging no problem at all(only Cryssis warhead i play on smaler res. but its my Pc that cant handle V.high settings with fullhd res.,i mean it can but fps is to low for that game).Alsow the look of that Tv is great.I try to post some pictures in next few days.

I think its my best buy when it comes to my cockpit so far,quality of picture is great.I really recomend that TV for use with PC.
Good luck
p.s.just make sure You take LN32A551 as its same as my.And i dont know about other models.

Thanks for the specs Jacek. And for your photo Ben. Both look like nice TV's, however I am afraid to buy another big (37") screen to be honest, especially sitting only 1m of the screen.

New graphic card arrives thursday, the 4850 as the 4870 is pretty expensive and not needed yet (I think). I still hope it will just give that bit of extra so I can keept the TV.

• Jacek Kozlowski

Thanks for the specs Jacek. And for your photo Ben. Both look like nice TV's, however I am afraid to buy another big (37") screen to be honest, especially sitting only 1m of the screen.

Ivo if You afraid buying something biger than 37" or even 37",really go for same as my 32".Its really good,and i messured how far i sit its about 110cm.I was thinking about 37" too,while buying this one.Now i see that it would be probably little too much,i dont want to destroy my sight.for 37" or bigger tv i would recomend about 2m or more distance from TV-like Ben do i think its little more than 2m

Today i bought new FIFA09 and on 1920-1080 it looks amazing.

• Jacek Kozlowski

Pc,and i was expecting more changes,but its a must-have for me anyway:)

Got the 4850 card and I must say it did make an improvement. Less shimmering but still flickering textures.

I decided anyway to return the TV as it is still not what it should be. Although the shop don't want to take it back, they have to do it according the their own conditions.

After the return I'll go for a smaller one. About yours Jacek, I chose a 100hz TV specifically to avoid "motion blur". Yours is 50hz but dont seem to have this? (Put mine also on 50hz to try but still had the same problems btw).

Ben, do you know how yours look from a closer view? It's also a Samsung I think, what type is that?

• Matt Gray

Hmm I've got a 8800GTS and although I've never plugged it into my Samsung 37" 1080 screen, this thread has got me interested...

Is it just a simple case of taking the output off the card and plugging it into the TV and setting the correct resolutions in the settings. I read a few sites and people suggest using special programs to control the graphics card for outputting to an LCD HD TV... don't wanna break it after all!

In the box I got 2 x DVI to VGA adaptors, 1 x S-Video to component cable and an S-Video to S-Video cable... I don't believe the card has a HD output, just DVI and an S-Vidoe out... so how should I hook it up?

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

Connecting is actualy pretty easy. Change the setting to the native resolution of the TV (Full HD is 1920 by 1080). For the connection I used a DVI to HDMI cable and that was it. Jacek used the VGA input on his TV and that works too. As you have the DVI > VGA converter it's probably the easiest way to go.

• Pat[fr]

Try the softh ....it works fine at home with GTL, GTR2 and GTR evo..but you need two graphics cards...

• Matt Gray

Super! Gonna give this a go today and see how I get on.... Then I have an excuse to buy a race seat to hook my wheel onto in front of the TV! :D

Certainly beats my 19" monitor that's for sure... Will let you know the results and post up some photos...

• Jacek Kozlowski

Acctualy i have it pluged by vga to my tv but other end of cable ( dont have vga in my card )i use small convertor(it changes end of plug from vga to DVI? -i think.its the most comon plug that all graphic cards have_after vga offcourse,and its little wider than vga.just dont know how its called??-dvi?) this end gose to my PC.
.....and it works great,i can set everything to 1920-1080 looks awsome.Earlier i had pretty good monitor(samsung 24" lcd) but i really like this new 32"TV much better -no lost of quality i even think it looks better now:)

• Matt Gray

Gave it a go... and it works! :D

I have a converter on my graphics card that changes the DVI-out to a VGA - then I used a cable to hookup from the VGA-in on the TV to the DVI/VGA-out on the graphics card.

Had a few issues getting the resolution to work, but after an hour of playing around, I wish I could use the TV all the time...! However, the nature of my wheel / mounting I have to use the PC monitor... still it was good to try it out and now I'm looking for a 'Playseat' type affair!

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 4 6.7%