Monitor & TV

Hey Lee :wink:
I'm also using a batch file, to start al the applications I need for sim racing:thumb:. And also I'm using a second monitor for Sim View.
In the batch file I added as last entry to start Sim View. The line before I added a sleep:
ping -n X 127.0.0.1 > NUL
so its waiting X seconds to start sim view, so all other applications can start and after that X seconds Sim View start automatic already connected to sim adapter. :wink:
So I'm ready to race with 1 click :cool:

... nice one - was thinking of putting a pause in, but hadn't got round to investigating it or thought of such a simple way around it - will give it a shot later :thumb:

Do you think I could run GTR Evo on my system.

I checked the FPS with FRAPS on GTL and with settings mostly on full at 1650*1050 and I am getting betweeen 50-60+.

I think you can but you have only 1 GB Ram, this can be a bit too less. To get the best chance stay with XP instead of Vista, XP eats less memory.

If fps are too low try lower the resolution a bit and run less shadows and AA.

There is also a possibility to run low quality textures in the options menu.

[Central Topic] Monitor & TV

Although registered for a while, it is only my first post :ban:

After a break from racing GTR2 I am fully motivated again with the release of GTR Evolution and am finaly ready to do what I wanted to do for a long time already: buy a big screen to connect to my PC.

Unfortunately it is not possible to mount a projector in my racing room to get this really nice big screen racing experience as you see them on youtube. Next best thing is to go for a big flatscreen tv.

I searched a lot on the net about connecting such screen to a pc for gaming (racing specifically) but can't find much about it. Some things that I think are important:

- resolution should be full HD (1920 x 1080) because I will sit pretty close to the screen.
- low latency to avoid any ghosting that seems to be a problem with LCD tv's.

I am thinking of a 46" to 50" size and a price tag of about Euro 1250,-. Automatticly this choice goes towards a plasma as they are lower priced for these sizes.

Any thoughts or advice on this? Would be really helpfull and appriciated!

Cheers,
Ivo IJsseldijk (name change request just done :) )

• Frank Sutton

The only advice I can give is to watch out for screen burn in with the plasma. I think the newer models have better technology to help protect against it. A buddy of mine has a 50" plasma and has a problem with some burn in with battlefield modern combat via his xbox. Just something to think about. I have zero burn in issues with my cheapy 46" lcd polaroid.

The only advice I can give is to watch out for screen burn in with the plasma. I think the newer models have better technology to help protect against it. A buddy of mine has a 50" plasma and has a problem with some burn in with battlefield modern combat via his xbox. Just something to think about. I have zero burn in issues with my cheapy 46" lcd polaroid.

Heard that before indeed. It should be avoidable with new technologies and use lower contrast and brightness settings, but still it is worrying like you said.

So your LCD does everything correclty for rest? Is it good enough picture quality to sit close to it?

• Frank Sutton

I've tried it at about 1 meter and that's too close. I'm about 2.5 meters now and it's not too much of a strain on the eyes. Everything works fine at 1920x1080. I'm happy with the larger screen, but I have to say that a TH2G0 setup with a resolution of 5040 is something I am considering. If not for the bezels, I'd probably already have it. For some reason I can't get past the bezels being in the way.

Food for thought.

I'm using a 37" 1080p lcd (tv) that has an 8 ms latency and I sit about 1.75 meters back. I'm really happy with the setup.

Even though the plama manufacturers are doing a much better job of handling burn-in it still seems to happen. Think about about the Race 07 hud(speedometer,rpm,etc) being displayed constantly on a plasma. Just a thought...

Just missed your post yesterday Ben, nice guide.

I will sit about 1 meter away from my screen and can stretch it up to 1.75 or even more. Now I am using a 21" CRT and put it as close as possible.

Meanwhile I found these posts on RSC about big screen gaming, also some interesting comments about a 3 monitor setup, maybe helpfull for you Frank:

Racing on a 42" LCD? - RaceSimCentral Forums
Most immersive display setup - RaceSimCentral Forums

Here's a picture which is close of how it is my mind: [media]http://xb5.xanga.com/b6fc760014532184283487/b141231195.jpg[/media]

The burning thing worries me the most, indeed the HUD is something that is bright and in the same place all the time. But I was thinking, a race takes for example 1 hour, would that be enough to make burn-in? If you watch TV the channel logo is in there for much more. Well, thats maybe not true because there are the commercial breaks (finally something good about them..).

Maybe LCD is the better choice, no ghosting on your 46" display Frank?

Attachments

• MPSII_Hero_6.jpg
    MPSII_Hero_6.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Ken Bethards

Lcd.

I'm perfectly happy with a 24" dell on my desk running at 1920x1200

Ken

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No