Monitor & TV

i use 50 lcd and it looks great, no problem with burn in.

Think about the Toshiba 47Z3030D which is 47" and its about EUR 1300,-. Its a lot of money so still some doubts.

How about 'motion blur'. that means how does the background look if you take corners? It seems to be less sharp of what I read about it.

Thing is, I just dont want to be dissapointed after I spend that amount of money. But the impatience is starting to work me already :p

Got an extra gig of ram to make 2gig total and purchased GTR Evo through Steam and its running really well.

The newer GTR Evo game has the auto setting meter which is keeping the FPS at 25-35 with a high level of detail. This I think is really good for my aging AGP P4 system.

• Jacek Kozlowski

Yesterday i bought Samsung 5series FullHD 32" TV wich have just 5ms response time,just to use it with my PC.Earlier i had Samsung 24" monitor wich was pretty good,but i wanted somthing bigger.Monitors that are 30" are very expensive.2 days ago i spoted this Sale in store near me.So i decided to buy this TV,didnt know if its gona work good with my PC-speccialy games (GTR evo,Crysis....)

After just one day of testing im very pleased with my new purshase.
Its working very good and the image is great.Im glad that i decided for 32" as it seats on my desk and im just 1meter away from it,so somthing bigger would be to much.The resolution is awsome 1920-1080.and i didnt notice any smugging or laging.Its just best spended money on my cockpit so far(maybe g25 was a good buy too).
I saved a lot comparing to price of 30" good monitor,it was on sale and costed me half the price of that kind monitor.:thumb:
I really recomanded buying sumsung TV for use with PC,just go for(little more expensive) FULL-HD version as its supports better resolution 1920-1080,and look at response time as it shouldnt be to high(my has 5ms,dont know about other or bigger once).All my conserns are away after just one day of use.

Grats with your purchase! I also bought a Full HD 100HZ LCD now, a Toshiba of 47" and I definitely like the big screen! It has 8ms response time but that doesn't seem, like a problem so far.

But there's a lot of flickering going on in GTRE. The edges of the commercial signs are bad, the white racing lines tec. Even when I stand still there's a lot of movement in those areas and also artifacts on specific places.

Tried several settings on and off like Vsync, 100hz, refresh rate (50/60hz), anti aliasing 4 and 6 but nothing seems to work. I think it in the AA or AS area but not sure ofcourse. In GTR2 the problem seems to be much less, only the white lines are not fluent but thats pretty common I think.

If anybody has a thought in this that would be great. I'll install some other games to see if they also have problems. Video card is a XFX Nvidia 9800GT with the latest drivers.

• Jacek Kozlowski

ITs strange i didnt have anything like that with GTR evo on tv.I have 8800gts and use AA set for 3 and Vsync. set off,res. for 1920-1080.Maybe its something that You can set in Your tv options .my has lots of menu options i didnt figure out all yet.
What cabel You use for pluging tv to PC HDMI or VGA?Ive heard some people had problem when using HDMI cable...

Strange indeed, your card is about the same as mine. Using a HDMI, what are you using, VGA?

Will keep trynh to play with the settings. GTR2 is slightly better, but not that good also I noticed now.

• Jacek Kozlowski

yeah i use VGA cable so try switching for that maybe

Just tried it and the same results. I can not switch to the FullHD resolution using the VGA so the quality was lower. But still the same problerms were there. I test on Brno in both GTRE and GTR2. Those green barriers behind the grass just show moving artifacts, even when standing still.

I did see a pretty big difference in picture quality between HDMI and VGA. Maybe you should try HDMI once just to check as it does look really good. Or maybe don't try anything as your system is working well :p

Have to admit it is beginning to annoy now a bit but will keep trying some settings

• Jacek Kozlowski

i will next month as my card dosent have HDMI entry just 2 VGA,next month im buying GTX280 as it should support HDMI:thumb:

But with VGA i can set 1920-1080 res. -isnt this FULLHD resolution??

• Jacek Kozlowski

Same with me -plug n play monitor.Actually i use Vga cabel from my tv but when i plug it to my card i have to change switch on that cabel beacouse my card has 2entrys (i dont know how they called) that are white and are wider than normal Vga entry-so im not sure that its vga(but for sure not HDMI)-most cards now have that kind of plugs behind
Yes with that kind of connection i can use only 60hz

Thanks, it really helps to compare some things with someone to eliminate some possible cause.

Still I'm having the same issues, re-installed my 7900GTO but I can not run GTRE in the HD resolution. Just installed HalfLife2 and I think I will have to get used to the edges thing. Before I used a CRT monitor and the graphics just looks much nicer. The LCD gives a more sharp picture with better colours, but the CRT looks to be much more smooth. Besides I am sitting relatively close to the large screen so obviously I see more details, not in a good way.

Still the flickering textures should not be there. I am changing my 9800GT to an Ati device, probably the 4850 to see the difference. And I am still doubting if I will return the TV, maybe LCD gaming is not something for me. Installed it only yesterday and I have a dead pixel anyway. Even when browsing I don't find the picture to look 'natural'. Maybe there some room for improvement in the settings, but yesterday I was fiddling already for 10 hours with it. But then again, if you see some pics of nice simracing setups... I want that too :)

You were used with gaming on a LCD, or did you also come from a CRT?

• Jacek Kozlowski

Ivo ive alsow heard that with lcd tv to use with PC its a lottery.Even if 2 TVs look almost the same on paper,one can work good with PC when the other works not good.....even when both have almost the same speciffication.
Before buying my i watched few reviews on Youtube of Lcd TV -about how they work with PC,i alsow heard from people on RD and RSC that my Samsung model should work good with pc.For sure i know that if You buy one of new Samsung models(FullHD) that are not bigger than 37" maybe 42" (wich is little smaller than Your Toshiba) You shouldnt have any problems -most of Samsung 37"(maybe even 42") have 5ms or 6ms reaction time wich is alsow important.
So maybe if You can still bring back Your Toshiba back to store and change it for Samsung <similar to what i wrote, than try doing that.Its just a thougt but maybe this will work for You.
Good luck:wink:

P.s earlier before this lcd tv i used LCD Samsung 24" monitor,and i have to say that if i use 1920-1080 res. i dont see any difference in picture quality between monitor and my new tv i even think it looks better on TV now...i just have to buy new Graphic card beacouse when playing Crysis on such big resolution my card is too weak but for gtre its enough.my pc is quad9300,4gigs800RAM,8800gts512mb.....i just want to buy gtx280 for this rig.

• Jacek Kozlowski

Jacek could it be his sitting to close to his Tv.
I have a Samsung 37 inch screen and I don't get any of Ivo problems. But I don't sit really close to the screen

Maybe this is the problem.I sit pretty close too -about 1.2-1.5m but i have just 32" and Ivo has 47"

im not saying this beacouse i have Samsung but i really didnt heard that anyone had any problems with S. lcd TV connected to PC,but ive heard that there are some problems with other brands- dont know anything about Toshiba tho

Thanks again guys, your input is really appreciated :thumb:

I don't hope the lottery story is true as the store where I bought the TV was not very willing to take the TV back.

About sitting to close, I watched the picture from a greater distance and it helped to get rid of the "stairs effect" of lines. When sitting so close (about 1 meter) I do expect to see some hooked lines just because the resoultion is relatively low for the size of the screen. I did hope for a slightly better result with AA, but maybe the new card will improve that. Otherwise it si not that big of a deal.

The thing that doesn't dissapear is the flickering and shimmering textures. In GTRE it's worse then in GTR2, but on a green border there shouldn't be black "artifacts" kind of things flickering around like crazy I would say. Also I see trees in the background flickering in both games. Also the shimmering of the fences and the poles of the signs for example I think should not be there, this much at least. All of this is is worse in cockpit view then in tailcam.

I did read about similar problems in rFactor and there they made changes to some files from the game that solved the problem. I didn't find this for GTR2/E.

I made some pictures to show that the picture is actualy pretty good, even from a close view. GTRE is not running correctly at all anymore, I think something went wrong when I was fiddeling too much, maybe with nhancer. I guess a re-install is necessary.

Please believe me that the real picture is actualy pretty good, sharp, nice coulours and no noise. It's not easy to take a decent picture from the screen I noticed now.

In the final picture I see some of the trees in the background flickering, even when not driving. The signs are pretty ok when standing still, but in GTRE its worse unfortunately. In general when driving there too much flickering going on in the distance mostly and specific parts also from closer view.

I've read in some places that the Ati card should give better pictures and better AA. I will try that but considering that people who are using the same card as me now I dont have high hopes.

My system is a C2D E6600 2.4Ghz, 2GBRam, Asus P5b. The pictures are taken with the 7900GTO card cause I took out the 9800GT for return. The problems are the same with both cards.
Regarding settings I tried a lot, both on the TV (100hz, sharpness, brightness, colours etc, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, VGA, HDMI) as on the card (AA, AS, AA Transparancy, Mini maps, Vsync in both the control panel as nHancer). I am sure I didn't try all of the possible combinations, but a lot for sure.

At the moment I run 1920 by 1080 with 60hz refresh rate, the native resolution of the screen via HDMI.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 252 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 244 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%