Modernizing GTR2 with the Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin

Does anyone know if "Softness" parameter in .tyr files is actually used by GTR2 AI as comments say? I am thinking of adding an enhancement where RFP tire stiffness get adjusted automatically, which will make Soft compound feel a bit different from Hard compound.

In most .tyr files I checked all compounds have same "Softness", so for this to work .tyr file edits will be necessary. But I wonder if that will have undesired effects on the AI. Thanks.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if "Softness" parameter in .tyr files is actually used by GTR2 AI as comments say? I am thinking of adding an enhancement where RFP tire stiffness get adjusted automatically, which will make Soft compound feel a bit different from Hard compound.

In most .tyr files I checked all compounds have same "Softness", so for this to work .tyr file edits will be necessary. But I wonder if that will have undesired effects on the AI. Thanks.
you can check with my hq 2022 tyres as I set different softness value per compound... but if you ask me I do not see any major difference with generic 0.50

you can check with my hq 2022 tyres as I set different softness value per compound... but if you ask me I do not see any major difference with generic 0.50
I have heard somewhere that it is just to tell the game about the compounds, helping ai to choose. The performance is in the other variables (tyre wear, heating, grip etc)

I have heard somewhere that it is just to tell the game about the compounds, helping ai to choose. The performance is in the other variables (tyre wear, heating, grip etc)
That's what comment in .tyr file says. But the question is - does AI actually use it? I wired this setting to FFB and will wire it to some tire math, and results are pretty good, but I am trying not to break the AI. Sounds like I'll have to keep eyes open :) If it affects AI I'll have to define that parameter somewhere else.

Last edited:
*Experimentational beta version used* - it works...

Just want to add if you're using a Thrustmaster wheel using this cc plugin to unlock the refresh rate of the wheel totally transforms the FFB into something quite amazing. On my triple screens I was locked at vsync 75hz and in VR locked at 90hz and the ffb felt a bit limp tbh but now it's overwhelmingly better. It works in a single player session but I can also confirm it works in a LAN session in my house. But if you use LAN access to race online and you all have the same unlocked ffb rate using the same version of the very latest cc beta plugin - then you *may* be able to race against each other with vsync on with this huge improvement. Of course if you don't use vsync and your frames are uncapped hitting 300-400 then it should feel good anyway. I went for option 1 of 400HZ in cc config' file - worked great for me but of course different PC's and all that but 100% worth a shot!

And it also makes your buttkicker work faster and better and same with rumble motors for pedals.

But be sure to switch "throttle" code to "0" from "1" in the PLR file if you race online- don't need that these days with current broadband and it keeps the cars on your screen solid going around bends when racing online. *Don't know if anyone races online*

Confirmed for Thustmaster TS PC wheel.

Last edited:
I must say, Crew Chief for GTR2 is truly amazing. Big thanks to everyone responsible. Really brings the sim up to speed, adding all sorts of awesome fixes and upgrades. Small thing, but one of my personal favorites: the beautiful back-fire effects! Lost that when I installed anniversary patch and was going crazy trying to restore the back-fire effects and even just to get Crew Chief working again with the anniversary patch. I tried everything and finally gave up, reinstalled GTR2 with Crew Chief plug in only and it's now working like a dream. Will eventually install some of the additional tracks such as those by VLM. They have done a fantastic job re-creating the Mid-Ohio, Sebring, LeMans tracks. In the meantime, having a blast with this classic sim with just the Crew Chief plug-in.

The reason for CCGEP not working with HQ Anniversary is because HQ Anniversary defaults to the older GTR2.exe version. You can find instructions on how to make HQ Anniversary run the newest GTR2.exe here: https://thecrewchief.org/downloads/gtr2/GTR2_CC_EP.pdf See section "The Happy Path start procedure – HQ Anniversary patch".

HQ Anniversary patch utilizes some features provided by this plugin, such as button controllable wipers, additional data pages and fixes driver hands disappearing in VR. If you enjoy 2003/2004 GT cars it is recommended as many stock game issues are fixed there.

And, yeah, VLM tracks are awesome :) Sebring looks great.

Last edited:
Hey! I just wanted to clarify some stuff to which I probably know the answer, but just to be sure.

1. Is there any difference in terms of visual quality between full screen and borderless windowed mode?
2. If using CC and anniversary patch do we need to apply manually the 4 gig patch through CFF explorer also? I think it's already included in ani patch, isn't it?

Thx in advance!

Hey! I just wanted to clarify some stuff to which I probably know the answer, but just to be sure.

1. Is there any difference in terms of visual quality between full screen and borderless windowed mode?
2. If using CC and anniversary patch do we need to apply manually the 4 gig patch through CFF explorer also? I think it's already included in ani patch, isn't it?

Thx in advance!
Hi Roby,

1. There's no visual quality difference, but Full screen does not allow SimHub and other overlays, also causes problems in VR. You could check the framerate, but AFAIK borderless is not slower than full screen on modern OS'es and is less problematic, for example alt+tabbing may also work better.

2. Steam GTR2.exe included with HQ Ani patch is 4Gb patched. I should probably print a warning into CC console if GTR2.exe is not 4Gb patched. Note that my plugin contains further memory usage improvements, but they need extra configuration and may not work on all hardware.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I must say, Crew Chief for GTR2 is truly amazing. Big thanks to everyone responsible. Really brings the sim up to speed, adding all sorts of awesome fixes and upgrades. Small thing, but one of my personal favorites: the beautiful back-fire effects! Lost that when I installed anniversary patch and was going crazy trying to restore the back-fire effects and even just to get Crew Chief working again with the anniversary patch. I tried everything and finally gave up, reinstalled GTR2 with Crew Chief plug in only and it's now working like a dream. Will eventually install some of the additional tracks such as those by VLM. They have done a fantastic job re-creating the Mid-Ohio, Sebring, LeMans tracks. In the meantime, having a blast with this classic sim with just the Crew Chief plug-in.
how to is clearly written in both _gtr2_hq_anniversary_patch_install.txt file within 16.0.0 archive and carbon copy here in this thread :

The reason for CCGEP not working with HQ Anniversary is because HQ Anniversary defaults to the older GTR2.exe version. You can find instructions on how to make HQ Anniversary run the newest GTR2.exe here: https://thecrewchief.org/downloads/gtr2/GTR2_CC_EP.pdf See section "The Happy Path start procedure – HQ Anniversary patch".

HQ Anniversary patch utilizes some features provided by this plugin, such as button controllable wipers, additional data pages and fixes driver hands disappearing in VR. If you enjoy 2003/2004 GT cars it is recommended as many stock game issues are fixed there.

Iron Wolf can't thank you enough for your contributions to GTR2 and CC. I guess I'm stuck in the past with GTR2 because I try some of the newer sims (Automobolista 2 and AC Comp) and yes, the graphics are amazing, but the overall feel of the cars and tracks and gameplay just makes me go back to GTR2 every time. And with CC it just takes GTR2 to another level. I may try HQ Anni patch again, there were some really cool upgrades there, and i appreciate the effort that was put into that patch. However, somewhat nervous about messing up the sim now that it runs so sweet.... Keep you posted.

how to is clearly written in both _gtr2_hq_anniversary_patch_install.txt file within 16.0.0 archive and carbon copy here in this thread :
Thanks GTR233, I did read through that, and followed the steps to the best of my knowledge. Went through the config file steps very carefully and in the end kept getting an error message every time i tried to start CC. I was probably doing something wrong. The patch has some fantastic upgrades, and I really can appreciate all the effort that went into it. One particular thing that was fixed in the HQ patch, which was (and still is) really bugging me about original version is the pit lane speed limiter bug at Hockenheim... Would be nice to get that cleared up, among other things...

I see Iron Wolf posted follow up info on installing. I'll give it another try.

Iron Wolf can't thank you enough for your contributions to GTR2 and CC. I guess I'm stuck in the past with GTR2 because I try some of the newer sims (Automobolista 2 and AC Comp) and yes, the graphics are amazing, but the overall feel of the cars and tracks and gameplay just makes me go back to GTR2 every time. And with CC it just takes GTR2 to another level. I may try HQ Anni patch again, there were some really cool upgrades there, and i appreciate the effort that was put into that patch. However, somewhat nervous about messing up the sim now that it runs so sweet.... Keep you posted.
Well, I am actually enjoying (playing) GTR2 as well and sharing those fixes I needed with you guys. After spending several years focusing on another game, and ending up disappointed, I returned to GTR2 and I was surprised how good this game does in simulaitong offline motorsport events. Glad those fixes give you joy :)

Modern games are great, but they have different focus (online) and I cannot recreate events I want because they are not as editable as GTR2 (or, lack rain). AMS2 though looks promising.

Last edited:
I have re-installed GTR2 with the latest HQ Anniversary Patch and Hotfix and have finally got it running with Crew Chief enabled. I used a CD Version of GTR2 and it seems to have worked ok, but I have an intermittent sound problem. At first I only had sound for the intro screens and nothing for the cars. However I could hear the Crew Chief guy all the time. Today for awhile I had full sound for the cars and Crew Chief and now the car sound has stopped working again.
Any suggestions of where to start looking? Sound is fine in other games.

Got HQ Anniversary installed and CC working. Yes, the Happy Path procedure worked, copied the GTR2 CC files directly into the game folder. Working like a charm. Big thanks to both Iron Wolf and GTR233 for fantastic work!

Last edited:
Gave it another try and managed to get the Anniversary patch and CC installed with both working. I followed your steps, plus those as outlined by Iron Wolf in the EP PDF, specifically the Happy Path procedure. Loving the upgrades and edits you made with this patch, I can see it was a major effort. Thank you for doing this, and for making it available to GTR2 fans. New cockpit details are really nice, especially working analog gauges, and other enhancements. The MC12 cockpit looking really sweet. Really nice work man.

Just some information on my problem with sound in GTR2....The intermittent sound was the result of me using the CD installation. Once I purchased the Steam GTR2 and followed the instructions in the 'Happy Path' for Crew Chief everything is working fine.
It took awhile, but I must say GTR2 is a revelation!!!
Thanks to all the modders & wizards that have worked on it.

Thanks for your hard work , even if i can not take benefit myself of crew chief .
I have indeed only the cd version and it doesn´t work.

But gtr2 with anniversary patch is already a real bomb !!!!!

Thanks for that a lot

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Forum trophies