Miami GP on the Cards? Hamilton Offers Track Design Help

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Miami GP  .jpg

The United States look all but certain to gain another Grand Prix in the near future, and Mercedes 4-time WDC Lewis Hamilton has offered to lend a hand designing the track.

With plans for a new street circuit in Miami thought to be well on the way to securing the required support for a slot on the 2019 Formula One calendar, even going so far as to having released a proposed layout for the round the houses venue, four time World Champion Lewis Hamilton has thrown his hat into the ring with a proposal to help the event organisers create a circuit best suited to producing an interesting racing spectacle.

Although street tracks are great for giving fans a close up view of the cars and drivers in action, often the tight and narrow confines of a circuit threading its way through existing infrastructure leads to races where overtaking is at a premium, leaving many TV spectators struggling to remain interested in the on track product when overtaking is often near impossible (Baku being a notable exception).

Miami GP Layout.jpg

Behind the scenes things appear to be moving at quite a pace with the plans for the Miami Grand Prix, and following a recent map reveal of the proposed new circuit layout, Britain's Lewis Hamilton has been left concerned that the new venue could be made more overtaking friendly, even offering to help with the design of the track, much like happens in the world of professional golf;

"I don’t get why, for example, in golf you get all the great golfers who design golf courses, and then you’ve not got any of the top racing drivers ever in history who ever designed a race track,” said the British driver.

“Miami is a super cool place, and I was very, very excited to hear about it, and then I saw the layout. "I think it could be a lot more fun. You’ve got two of the longest straights, but maybe when we drive it, it will be more fun".

“I don’t want to make an assumption before we’ve even driven it, but if there’s time, and anyone wants to approach me or any of the drivers, I’m sure we could give some good insight into what the layout’s like, and how it could be better.

"I know Miami quite well. There’s a few better locations to put the track, for example.”
With the proposals to support a Formula One grade street circuit having been unanimously approved by the city's commission earlier today, Formula One under Liberty Media looks to have taken one step closer to adding a second American venue to the Grand Prix schedule in the very near future.

If you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you like the look of the proposed Miami layout? Is another street circuit a good idea for Formula One, in your opinion? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 113561

Long Beach as a second location would be nice, it is already an established good track!

Hamilton new Tilke. I know his season isn't like the best ever but really now... a total change of career ? This is even bigger than Rosberg retirement. :alien:

Please god don't let them ruin Watkins. They already did with the stupid esses chicane when F1 was there last time. Thankfully they had the foresight to make it temporary and removed as soon as F1 left.

Agreed. I wish we could get F1 out of America completely. It's already responsible for bringing us our first Tilkedrome.

I think, putting any Hamilton bias on pause (whether for or against)...one might realize he has a valid point, in regards to not getting input from past Formula 1 WDC winners about what would make a course exciting/interesting.

I'm not saying Formula 1 drivers have the engineering expertise to do the actual design work, but some consultancy would be nice (assuming that Tilke (or whoever will design Miami GP) hasn't consulted with other prominent drivers for this track or previous designs). However, I do think that getting consultancy from a driver currently associated with a currently participating team could be a conflict of interest. For example, Lewis Hamilton and Niki Lauda shouldn't be consulted since they both have ties with Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team, even though I think drivers of their caliber (Lauda especially) would have very interesting things to bring to the table.

Funny enough however, Wikipedia says in the 1980's Hermann Tilke "competed in touring car racing, mainly on the old Nürburgring Nordschleife circuit.". Food for thought.

No more urban ****.
I would normally hit the agreebutton on such a statement but the Baku GP proved again that city races can be awesome. The tracks just need to be wider than Monaco, Pau, and other city tracks where you can't overtake.

Baku, Phoenix, Adelaide and such Ill have them any day. :inlove:

Return back Imola, Magny Cours, Kyalami, and Instambul Park.
True that :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back