Mercedes-Benz Launches the EQ Silver Arrow 01!

I have tried to watch it, I find it odd. Like the boost they get for going over a certain piece of track, don't think there should be any fan boost.

I hate fan boost too. But "Attack Zone" is very clever: you get an extra 25kW of power twice during the race, for a limited amount of time. You have to use it twice, when you want. I much prefer this to DRS, because the extra power lasts during a few laps, not just in a straight line, and it adds an interesting strategic dimension to the race. And it works: the races have been very exciting this season.

Would not surprise me they found a team running a scam with the voting, seems odd how some drivers get it often and others basically never. They should give a prize for a randomly picked driver every round then more would vote accordingly across the grid and not for their preferred driver

Just better get rid of it 100% agree :barefoot:

I'm not a follower of this series, and I can't be bothered to google the details. So call me ignorant but may I ask here how this series works? I know it's electric and some little details. But the cars, motors, battery and all... Do you buy them and just paint it with your livery? Or you build them from scratch just like F1?

How's it gonna be if Merc dominates this area as well? I guess instead of having more to watch, it will just go the other direction, at least for me. Not unless Ferrari decides they want a piece of this too. That will be very interesting! But I can't see that happening anytime soon. Not if they wanna pull the carpet on F1... That will make my day! And a whole week of laughing! :D
Check my video above which will explain all. Merc won't dominate, the series is tightly homologated and monitored by FIA and all the teams can do is optimise the software controlling the cars and brake-by-wire system. The series has produced some okay racing so far and its free to watch on YouTube ;)

If you saw the new cars at the Geneva motor show, the electric cars were getting all the news, like the 1900bhp Pininfarina. I also heard about fast charging in 5 mins for another car.

Times are changing, and the amount of manufacturers going into Formula E shows that. One day F1 and petrol/diesel will become less of the norm, it'll take a while, bit it's coming.

I agree fan boost is a bit silly, but like i have said before what they actually get, this boost, is no different to an engine mode in F1 or push to pass etc.
The idea that a driver has more power at a given time is basically pretty standard.
Add to that a team like Merc and Ferrari who have constantly more 'power' than the rest of the field.
I think it's time to scrap the name 'fan boost' though.

I think once electric cars have the capacity to run on traditional circuits (albeit for shorter races) then Formula-E will have come of age :thumbsup:

I really hope that is the goal of the organisers, and not to keep them restricted to street circuits with silly chicanes and hairpin bends :unsure:

Have to give credit to the producers of that vid, really well made. Like @Fat-Alfie mentions the banana skin moment is brilliant, lol.

I need to catch up on the last few races but since the Gen2 car came out the races have been great. Lots of action, lots of overtaking. I have enjoyed them.

However (and sorry I'm repeating myself as I've said this before) get rid of some of the gimmicks. I know they did it to appeal to the younger PlayStation style generation which is fine but it's not needed now. The "Go Faster Zone" I suppose is not too bad an idea but I would just like two or three shots of power boost via a button on the wheel.

My only other gripe is the tracks, ok street/road races can be cool and very different (the Cleveland IndyCar races were always unreal) but most of the tracks on the calendar still lack any real flow to them and are very narrow still (my biggest issue, get wider layouts please).

I saw the news the other day about the return to the UK (and I will go to this one out of curiosity) but I did double take when the article said the "23 corner track". 23!! lol.

I agree fan boost is a bit silly, but like i have said before what they actually get, this boost, is no different to an engine mode in F1 or push to pass etc.
The idea that a driver has more power at a given time is basically pretty standard.
Add to that a team like Merc and Ferrari who have constantly more 'power' than the rest of the field.
I think it's time to scrap the name 'fan boost' though.

Agreed, but what I hate about fanboost is the fact that the public chooses who gets it. That's why "attack mode" is a much better idea (and that's a lot more similar to the use of ERS in F1.)

Of course the "fan-boost" is hands down the worst idea ever invented in motorsport.
Voting like the x factor for your favourite driver to go faster is cringe-worthy.
Can not see how that possibly benefits any sport; certainly not in terms of integrity.

Of course the "fan-boost" is hands down the worst idea ever invented in motorsport.
Voting like the x factor for your favourite driver to go faster is cringe-worthy.
Can not see how that possibly benefits any sport; certainly not in terms of integrity.

You think Motorsport has any integrity?
How's this, i really like Lando Norris..i do....but his Dad is worth 200 million.
He funded Lando's racing dream...
Adam Norris is friends with Zak Brown...of McLaren...who used to turn up to karting to see him etc...
There is no integrity.
It's ALL about money..............and if you haven't got it...you are not playing.

But i like Lando, he seems down to earth..but just making a point...

If only some genius create a software to drive some RC cars using a PC with some after market wheel. I love the idea to attach a camera to an RC and drive it myself using a sim cockpit. That would be cool.

Read my mind for years I thought this
Outdoor and indoor tracks with staff to reset cars ....
Large scale cars with multi GoPros connected to server
You sit at home with RC controller or better still sim setup and race by camera :devilish:
$xx a hour ..cheaper then go kart setup and less overheads for the proprietor :barefoot:

Last edited:
Read my mind for years I thought this
Outdoor and indoor tracks with staff to reset cars ....
Large scale cars with multi GoPros connected to server
You sit at home with RC controller or better still sim setup and race by camera :devilish:
$xx a hour ..cheaper then go kart setup and less overheads for the proprietor :barefoot:

Partner up in business then? All I wanted are small RC cars, similar to the video you posted. Maybe worth $100 to $200 each. Cheap maintenance, you know?... But I guess between you and me, no one knows how to make that happen. :p If not either one of us already did it. At least the idea is now out on the internet... Probably a big mouth of me! :D Just waiting for that genius to take a crack at it then!

Anyone still think Formula E is a gimmick or doomed :barefoot:

Formula E are the next pioneers of tech for electric road cars ........just as Formula 1 in decades past used to be

F-E is a gimmick - the real pioneering racing series is that Jaguar I-Pace series, because that actually demonstrates how electric road car tech can be tuned ( albeit I really, really wish it wasn't in a SUV of all things ). I guess the attack boost thing is just a thing that's there, at least it requires a bit more planning than a push-to-pass button - fanboost though is a disease and ( along with the all-style-little-substance car design and honestly terrible driving ) put me off FE itself. I want to see what eTCR turns out like, that just seems a natural fit with where useable technology is. We've had hybrid cars for how long now? couple of decades at least - *none* of this tech is pioneering at this point.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back