Mercedes-Benz Launches the EQ Silver Arrow 01!

V8 Supercars is good to watch

Sorry i am not sure where you live, but in the UK we are allowed to watch more than one motorsport....
thank god we don't get forced to chose just one...

Its funny, only sim racers who spend so much time not even driving a real car sat playing with toy wheels etc could mock racing electric cars......

what powers your rigs you divs?!!

The more big names get into the sport, the better off Formula E will be in the long run...it's definitely the future whether we like it or not; me personally I'm happy to see it grow. Attack boost is just another layer of strategy for teams and drivers to consider and I'm all for that. Jury's still out on Fan Boost though...I'd probably limit it to exclude the top 4 drivers in the current standings to keep the fight for the championship a little more about driver skill/team performance and strategy and not affected by a popularity contest.

Slight pet peeve though: When people refer to anything remotely resembling an arcade-style racing game as "Mario Kart"...get the game references right: recharging your vehicle and/or your ability to boost by driving over a particular section of track is F-Zero, not Mario Kart. If they ever decide to bust out weapons, countermeasures, shields and cars that can jump on command...now that's Mario Kart. :D

Last edited:
Some of the racing in Formula E recently has been excellent - close, exciting and unpredictable with plenty of overtaking... all things we want back in F1.

It's getting better all the time and has lots of potential, but if FE wants to be taken more seriously it really does need to remove the gimmicks such as Fan Boost etc and concentrate on the proper racing it can provide.

Overall FE is becoming an increasingly good addition to motorsport - it can sit happily alongside other forms of racing without all of us feeling that enjoying one series means we have to hate on others...

Electric is just a stop gap, electric can never go mainstream like petrol engines. Simply not enough real world resources to make this happen. However as a Motorsport it is more enjoyable than F1 hell lets be honest watching FW will be more interesting than F1. ;-)

Sorry i am not sure where you live, but in the UK we are allowed to watch more than one motorsport....
thank god we don't get forced to chose just one...

Its funny, only sim racers who spend so much time not even driving a real car sat playing with toy wheels etc could mock racing electric cars......

what powers your rigs you divs?!!

I live in the UK
I just said that I like to watch V8 battles, that's it.
In real live I drive Z4 3.0 e89 Msport as well as number of bikes including old but still crazy Suzuki TL1000r. I often do weekends at Bedford track

I live in the UK
I just said that I like to watch V8 battles, that's it.
In real live I drive Z4 3.0 e89 Msport as well as number of bikes including old but still crazy Suzuki TL1000r. I often do weekends at Bedford track

Some people like to **** goats doesn't mean its relevant in every thread...

I have not really been interested in FE until this year but have found it a worthwhile watch in winter while the other series are not racing.To me it is like watching a touring car race for open wheelers.It is entertaining,close racing & good drivers but it is always going to be lacking when there is horrible noise,boring tracks,gimmicks & the cars are not fast enough.

Ultimately Formula E will be a victim of its own success.When the cars are fast enough they will race on real tracks and become F1.Liberty Media already owns shares in FE so the owner would walk away with a large sum & F1 would gain all the competing manufacturers.

Electric is just a stop gap, electric can never go mainstream like petrol engines. Simply not enough real world resources to make this happen. However as a Motorsport it is more enjoyable than F1 hell lets be honest watching FW will be more interesting than F1. ;-)

So they are going to make electric cars for a few years...... then go back to petrol?

Ermmmmmm.......... i really don't think so.

I am not particularly happy about it, but its happening....and petrol cars will be phased out and by the time my lad is 18 (he is 8 now) it'll be the norm to have electric cars.

I have owned Alfa GTV V6, Alfa 75 V6. Alfa 155 V6, JEEP Cherokee 4ltr V8, various track cars..... i like petrol.......but it is what it is...

Everyone has right to say what they feel. So, that being said I feel this is a good move for Mercedes. They have the money and technological experience to improve battery efficiency and reliability. If you want to see road going electric cars to one day achieve 1000mi, then this is the answer. We really need these companies involved so that we can cut the proverbial "cord" from OPEC.

So they are going to make electric cars for a few years...... then go back to petrol?

It's going to come faster than people think.

Audi has already got a plan to completely phase out ICE engines. So does Jaguar and many others. Ford is stopping production of a larger sedans, is investing 15B into electric car tech and another 3B into self driving car tech. France has already put the phase out of ICE car sales into law.

I am not particularly happy about it, but its happening....and petrol cars will be phased out and by the time my lad is 18 (he is 8 now) it'll be the norm to have electric cars.

I have owned Alfa GTV V6, Alfa 75 V6. Alfa 155 V6, JEEP Cherokee 4ltr V8, various track cars..... i like petrol.......but it is what it is...

Oh really! Petrol is not the future, I never said it was. However you really need to look at the worlds supply of rare earth metals. Electric can not and never will compete, like I said its a stop gap. I honestly do not know what will replace electric, I suspect Hydrogen but I honestly do not know. I can say with almost certainty Electric is not the future. ;-)

Shave a few hundred kilos off and gain a few hundred HP, than get some bigger (real) racetracks. Than we might get somewhere. Instead of adding mario kart style powerups. For now there is no way to store more energy in our current battery technology without adding substancial weight. Maybe add some hybrid tech with a hydrogen engine or generator, they would even make some noise.

Oh really! Petrol is not the future, I never said it was. However you really need to look at the worlds supply of rare earth metals. Electric can not and never will compete, like I said its a stop gap. I honestly do not know what will replace electric, I suspect Hydrogen but I honestly do not know. I can say with almost certainty Electric is not the future. ;-)

;) aside, I just hate seeing misinformation even in jest.

Hydrogen is just acting as chemical battery for a fuel cell to generate electricity to drive an electric motor.
Even fuel cell cars have batteries for regenerative braking.

There are a very large number of battery technologies under development using very different elements and we won't be resource starved. Electric cars have about 1/10 the number of moving parts and will be cheaper than ICE cars within the next 5 years.

Many people like myself are hanging on to the car we have now longer because we want to buy an electric car next. Unfortunately that is hurting the car industry. Personally I'd really like to get a Tesla Model S as my next car. I've already talked to an electrician about running a 100A 240V service to my garage. I have a wood shop too, so there are advantages to doing this early :)

Can't get into FE. The noise is squeaky, can't smell gasoline and they only do 100mph. Add to that the terrible tracks and it needs a lot of work to knock it into shape.

Can't get into FE. The noise is squeaky, can't smell gasoline and they only do 100mph. Add to that the terrible tracks and it needs a lot of work to knock it into shape.

Speed is relative though. Rally cross cars get to about 100 maximum but is infinitely more exciting than F1.
If its just about speed then people would be watching top fuel drag cars in straight lines or the salt flats speed records....its dull.

And i refute your FE top speed stat.....

Drag Racing being dull is a matter of opinions and they have pushed the boundaries of fuel engiines
beyond anyone or anything

Max speed of Gen 2 is 174mph but no track at this time warrants having longer straights to attain it
That will grow exponentially every generation where as petrol power is almost at a flatline

I can imagine a future with gravity defying super tracks, new tyre compounds that don't wear, smoke
4 wheel drive anytime like Batman :coffee: lol

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back