Marco Massarutto Responds to Free Porsche Content Criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Porsche DLC Preview Image.jpg

Marco Massarutto, Kunos Simulazioni Licencing Manager and somewhat outspoken unofficial Kunos spokesperson, has responded via his Facebook account to the rather strong criticism from some members of the community following the free Porsche content announcement several days ago.

With feelings running high amongst the community, and many people voicing negative feelings regarding the inclusion of SUV's from the prominent German manufacturer, Massarutto has taken to his personal Facebook profile to respond directly to those vocal critics. As is the usual Massarutto style, no punches have been pulled in the latest statement!

The full Marco Massarutto Facebook statement can be read below:

"Imagine you get into a mall to buy a pair of Lee jeans, and when you go for the check out, the guy at desk tells you "I'm glad to tell you that, since you have purchased this product, you will get this t-shirt for free, offered by Lee".

What do you will answer? Some options:

- I didn't ask for it, just give me my jeans...
- I don't like this t-shirt, I'm not going to wear it
- What are you trying to do? To fill my closet with useless stuff?!
- I've a t-shirt already, I don't need this so-called gift
- Let's do this: give me the jeans for free and keep the t-shirt for you
- If I was interested to a t-shirt, I would have purchased it
- What a waste of time and money, tell Lee to give me a 100$ jacket for free instead
- I'm here for the jeans and you give me a free t-shirt? Shame on you
- So, now Lee gives stuff for free to let me have a taste of it? Shame on them

Sounds weird? Not to some simracers. Sad, but true.

So, about Porsche: few people complain because Assetto Corsa will release - for free, and even if you just own the game but you don't purchase any Porsche DLC - the new Panamera, Cayenne and Macan. Saying the things you can read above. As part of our agreement with Porsche, the Brand asked us to reproduce, for THEIR simulators, ALSO the models included in their current production. For THEIR purposes. Once we worked for months to reproduce those models with the maximum accuracy for Porsche simulators, we believed it would have been a shame do not allow the AC community to enjoy those cars as well. Without charging them. And that's it. Also because we take in consideration that the AC community is so wide today that different people like different cars, something that some blind gamers still don't understand, or accept. On the other side, this kind of agreement allows us to reproduce and make available for Assetto Corsa cars like the one you see in the picture.

So, today lot of people tell me that they want so badly in Assetto Corsa the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Verde . If to get it in the game we would be asked to include also the next Stelvio SUV as free bonus content, would you complain for it? If yes, probably you would need to turn off your PC or console, open the door, leave the house, close your eyes and take a breath; and relax. Because it looks to me that you are not able anymore to enjoy what is supposed to be your passion. BTW, driving the new PanameraTurbo at the Nordschleife in 7'.39" is a blast, and it is not for everyone. Stay tuned. And take it easy, enjoy your life, you live once"

The Assetto Corsa sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to be for the latest news, discussions and downloads for Kunos Simulazioni's flagship racing simulation. As with most racing games, online is where the game really shines. Pop over and discover what all the fuss is about, join in one of our epic club and league racing events today!

What do you think of Massarutto's comments? Let us know below!

Last edited:
do we have to close a thread because some people are not agree with you? everybody who is not agree with you have a meaningless opinions?

Totaly not! Sorry if I described my opinions wrong. I'm for open discussion and I'm not forcing anybody to get out of there just because of his different point of view. I just said in last sentence this discussion leads nowhere, just YES or No's and that words about locking thread was meant as a joke (not the best one, okay) which I followed with smiley. Also please note - to think it's better no thread than the loooong thread about nothing is MY opinion which I fully understand somebody can disagree or have way better arguments then mine.

We know devs read us and everybody try to explain what he's expected from AC in months to come.

Ok :) but I don't see expectations explaination, only boring, repetitive yelling on what devs have to do because they have "my" money.

Anyway, have a good day and enjoy your races! :thumbsup:

do we have to close a thread because some people are not agree with you?
everybody who is not agree with you have a meaningless opinions?.

As budlix said, we are open to discussions as we believe people are mature enough to keep a conversation civil and constructive. Last few pages of discussions were way beyond the contrary. So if we feel that the word striking has gone too long, we, moderators and admins, can close the thread as we see fit.

Simple.

RD Pirelli World Challenge on the way (I'M KIDDING ON THIS ONE, OK!?)

#GT4Clubbieconfirmed #DirtNotConfirmed

When it comes to me kunos is a real idealist and a good boy I guess. The point annoying me is the naive way they push the disgust SUVs under. Again: not every present is a wellcome one but inside you have to say thx. A lot of simmer won't that says as you can read. Kunos now is insulted his plan dosen't work - sorry!
Please explain us what was "The point annoying me is the naive way they push the disgust SUVs under". What is that naive way?

No, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I just said I feel like it was a waste of time producing these SUV's when there's better cars out there to produce, do you not feel the same, or have you sim racing dreams now come true?

"There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else." Sam Walton (Walmart Founder)

Oh, so since you bought their product, you feel like you own them and they must work on what you want? The developers can't work on something else because you feel like it's wasting time. So you must know what's best for the company they created? Sorry, but your statement is pretty much the definition of entitlement. :thumbsup:

Do not put words in my mouth. I was merely pointing out why some people would rather have other vehicles than these, wouldn't you?

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. Porsche asked/paid them to make the SUVs for their Porsche Experience displays. Kunos figured since they already had them they might as well throw them in the game for free. Your suggestion is that they should have told Porsche "No, we're not going to make these cars for your displays because some forum members will be very upset that we wasted time making them for you". Seems like some flawed logic to me. :O_o:

I literally said that in my post, albeit with a little extra venom. "What they should say is, "hey guys we're being forced by Porsche to include these crappy SUV's but we're giving them away free". And can you point out in my post where I suggested that Kunos say no to Porsche. I should know not to feed the trolls.

Last edited:
Returned to this thread just to say that there's another thing I like about the fact that the sim has some "normal" cars on the garage: This helps me to check how the physics and stuff are good compared to real life, because I don't own a F1 or a Ferrari on my stable. So, by driving a BMW or Porsche SUV in the game and then driving them in real life, you get a way to appreciate the fidelity that AC brings to the table.

I literally said that in my post, albeit with a little extra venom. "What they should say is, "hey guys we're being forced by Porsche to include these crappy SUV's but we're giving them away free". And can you point out in my post where I suggested that Kunos say no to Porsche. I should know not to feed the trolls.

They're not being forced? Porsche asked them to make the SUVs for their Porsche Experience displays so they can let people virtually drive their new products, and then Kunos decided to toss them in the consumer version for free since they already existed. How is that "being forced to make crappy SUVs"? I doubt Porsche held a gun to their head and demanded that Kunos make SUVs. They are the most highly coveted marque in all of sim racing, when they knock on your door wanting to be in your sim you're a fool if you don't do what they ask. Of course, if they were going specifically off of what I wanted them to make I would not have chosen Porsche SUVs. But I have absolutely zero issues with them honoring a request from Porsche because the result is that we're getting many other epic cars from them, cars that I never thought I'd have the pleasure of driving in a sim.

Can you honestly say that if you were a game dev and Porsche knocked on your door saying "we'd like to have 20+ of our race and street cars in your game, and oh by the way could you also make a couple of our SUVs for us to use in our displays?" you would have passed on the chance to have these highly coveted cars in your game just because you didn't want to "waste" time making two SUVs? I'd wager that no race sim developer on the planet would pass on that opportunity.

I'm not trying to argue with you mate. Kunos is a business and if this got Porsches in their sim then it was a wise business decision, end of.

But Kunos is working even on a side project that is AC pro or whatever it is called...

I doubt AC Pro is taking many resources away from the game itself, it appears to be just customised AC with customised menus and content/features added or removed depending on specific contract. AC pro was used for the Honda Civic TypeR "Green Hell" competition, thankfully my experience within AC allowed me to get into the top 10 on presentation day and won me a passenger ride around Donington with Gordon Shedden

Nice rant, but you're arguing against something that was never said. And you failed point out in my post where I suggested that Kunos say no to Porsche

They're not being forced? Porsche asked them to make the SUVs for their Porsche Experience displays so they can let people virtually drive their new products, and then Kunos decided to toss them in the consumer version for free since they already existed. How is that "being forced to make crappy SUVs"? I doubt Porsche held a gun to their head and demanded that Kunos make SUVs. They are the most highly coveted marque in all of sim racing, when they knock on your door wanting to be in your sim you're a fool if you don't do what they ask. Of course, if they were going specifically off of what I wanted them to make I would not have chosen Porsche SUVs. But I have absolutely zero issues with them honoring a request from Porsche because the result is that we're getting many other epic cars from them, cars that I never thought I'd have the pleasure of driving in a sim.

Can you honestly say that if you were a game dev and Porsche knocked on your door saying "we'd like to have 20+ of our race and street cars in your game, and oh by the way could you also make a couple of our SUVs for us to use in our displays?" you would have passed on the chance to have these highly coveted cars in your game just because you didn't want to "waste" time making two SUVs? I'd wager that no race sim developer on the planet would pass on that opportunity.

I'm not trying to argue with you mate. Kunos is a business and if this got Porsches in their sim then it was a wise business decision, end of.

Nice rant, but you're arguing against something that was never said. And you failed point out in my post where I suggested that Kunos say no to Porsche
You said...
it's about the fact that they could have spent their time creating cars that we want.
which suggests you think Kunos should have told Porsche "no we will not make these SUVs for you because some people won't want them". How else are we supposed to interpret that? Seeing as they're about to release 7 epic Porsche cars, I'd say they've spent their time wisely. Just my opinion of course, but I struggle to understand how doing Porsche a favor (a marque most sim racers have lusted over for year) could be considered a waste of time.

That's my last comment as I feel I'm already treading on thin ice and don't want to get my knuckles smacked. Anyway...

Last edited:
"which suggests you think Kunos should have told Porsche no" So you just take my words and add your own narrative. Again you take what I say and suggest it's something else. If I was "suggesting" Kunos should have said no, then I would have type Kunos should have told Porsche no, instead of "it's about the fact that they could have spent their time creating cars that we want." You're a propagandist, looking for any reason to troll forums.

You said...

which suggests you think Kunos should have told Porsche "no we will not make these SUVs for you because some people won't want them". How else are we supposed to interpret that? Seeing as they're about to release 7 epic Porsche cars, I'd say they've spent their time wisely. Just my opinion of course, but I struggle to understand how doing Porsche a favor (a marque most sim racers have lusted over for year) could be considered a waste of time.

That's my last comment as I feel I'm already treading on thin ice and don't want to get my knuckles smacked. Anyway...

I assume this is a joke? Or maybe you're going by what Brandon said, Brandon said that it "suggests you think Kunos should have told Porsche no", which I did not, which is the only reason I had to continue to post and correct him, and now you.

Here's my original post:

It's not about free stuff to those who complain such as me, it's about the fact that they could have spent their time creating cars that we want. Imagine if they said "hey we're gonna make some free cars for you guys, what do you want us to make". How many would have said SUV's? Free cars that most of us will not spend any time with are worthless gesture. What they should say is, "hey guys we're being forced by Porsche to include these crappy SUV's but we're giving them away free".

So I never said Kunos should say no, nor did I say that they're wasting their time to do what ever it takes to get a Porsche license, Brandon suggested as he likes to put it that I did.

I know every forum has a "in" crown that people fawn over, but this is a little OTT.

@Icarus2007 either you say why Kunos should've said no to Porsche (which clearly you've haven't explained it, you just said that they're wasting their time making SUV and could've been doing something better ) or you stop with the back and forth game with mr @Brandon Wright (that warning goes to you too, HEEEY) and focus on something else.

Another thread that bites the dust.

I assume this is a joke? Or maybe you're going by what Brandon said, Brandon said that it "suggests you think Kunos should have told Porsche no", which I did not, which is the only reason I had to continue to post and correct him, and now you.

Here's my original post:

It's not about free stuff to those who complain such as me, it's about the fact that they could have spent their time creating cars that we want. Imagine if they said "hey we're gonna make some free cars for you guys, what do you want us to make". How many would have said SUV's? Free cars that most of us will not spend any time with are worthless gesture. What they should say is, "hey guys we're being forced by Porsche to include these crappy SUV's but we're giving them away free".

So I never said Kunos should say no, nor did I say that they're wasting their time to do what ever it takes to get a Porsche license, Brandon suggested as he likes to put it that I did.

I know every forum has a "in" crown that people fawn over, but this is a little OTT.
First, a developer can't ask the community what free cars we want, because this would be a hard thing to decide among all of us and most likely the community would end up deciding on a car that is expensive to license. So for the developer to give free cars they and the car manufacturer have to decide which is good enough and affordable to give as free.
Don't start assuming people don't want to drive and people won't enjoy the cayenne, macan, and panamera. Because as fast as that other people don't want to drive or won't enjoy a difficult race car. How many of the Race Cars elitists are right now enjoying and driving/competing in the lotus 98t or mercedes c9? Maybe more people will race or just drive solo those "not wanted cars".
So think before making such statements. If you want the developer to give us the best, most interesting, and most iconic cars (even if in paid dlc), then you need to accept that there's another market inside Assetto Corsa players that don't like or aren't excited about the same cars as you or if the devs want a "cheaper" license for the most iconic car, then they need to give the car manufacturer something in return, like a car "that people don't want to drive" so that the manufacturer has an opportunity to showcase their newest line in video games. And, those kind of cars are also brought to tracks in real life, so it remains relevant for simulation fans to experience something different than the typical car for a sim.

Okay handbags aside when is the dlc being released??
Some posts I have read led me to believe it would be today,But I was also led to believe that now the console and PC versions have to be released at the same time so one could delay the other,I'm not sure too be honest,I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :thumbsup:.
I'm off to stare at my Steam Browser until it is,even if it's a week :O_o:.
I may be gone for a while :D.

Well, well. While you're contrary to this free DLC matter (I have read your points), which it's totally fine. I'll admit that I broke my face in the "no" part, but do you really think making SUV's is a waste of time and (a honest question to you) what classic Porsche cars do you honestly think Kunos could've invested their time on? The way that you posted, by intepretation, implies the "I'll do whatever you want for your license".

And
...waiting with my chips to see how it ends...
do you got some over there? I believe it will end soon, as my patience with caring this thread is nearly run out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes