Hello everyone!

I have an OG Driving Force GT for my pc, and I kind of suddenly started feeling it super stiff and noisy. I can basically feel the teeth of the gears inside. This happens even when the wheel is disconnected. I attach a couple videos:

So I opened it up (you can't stop me when I have a screwdriver) and I couldn't find the problem really.

I did find that the plastic encoder is cracked!!! But as far as I know, the problem has not to do with that. I can't really find a replacement for it ( I live in Argentina).

I am about to open it again an lubricate the bearings, though I'm a bit surprised that the issue started kind of suddenly, so I'm not sure that will help either.

I would really appreciate any ideas in the meantime!

Thank you all!

Ouch.
I suspect it might all be down to the encoder, but to rule out another mechanical issue I would try moving the wheel when it's completely disconnected from the power. If it doesn't feel bad then, I see no reason to think the problems go deeper than the encoder.
I know that you can buy replacement encoders for the G27 etc. so I'm sorry to hear that you can't find one for your wheel.

If it is due to the split encoder, someone posted a hacky fix using a washer as support that might provide a bit of inspiration:

Ouch.
I suspect it might all be down to the encoder, but to rule out another mechanical issue I would try moving the wheel when it's completely disconnected from the power. If it doesn't feel bad then, I see no reason to think the problems go deeper than the encoder.
I know that you can buy replacement encoders for the G27 etc. so I'm sorry to hear that you can't find one for your wheel.
Thanks for the answers

I just took another look at it.
First: yes, the problem is there when the wheel is disconected.
I already fixed the encoder the using that same video haha, but still, the problem is there even when I remove the encoder and that gear spins freely.

I tested it removing the gears one by one, and I narrowed it down to something inside the the FFB motor :'(
I doubt I can find a replacement for that here, so maybe it's time for a new wheel.

I tested it removing the gears one by one, and I narrowed it down to something inside the the FFB motor :'(
I doubt I can find a replacement for that here, so maybe it's time for a new wheel.
Ah, bummer. I suspect you're right that getting a replacement will be hard/impossible...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.