Lockdown Project- Who says you cant Mod a Thrustmaster TMX

Hi All,

First post on these forums but wanted to share my lockdown project! Hopefully will get round to posting pictures when I dig them out on my PC.

My friends and I have been watching F1 for a few years, and when lockdown put a halt to both the F1 and the joy of going to the pub to watch (not to mention the go karting places closing), our collective yearning for racing led us to take the F1 games a bit more competitively.

Having played the code master titles casually for a few years, F1 2019 was the first game my friends and I all agreed to set up a regular league on. Some of these friends had Logitec wheels they used on the Xbox for Forza Etc, and had found during lockdown there are some modifications that could be done to transform them into F1 or GT style wheels.

Obviously jealous of their performances in the league, I decided to look into getting a wheel myself. I had heard good things about the Thrustmaster TMX and found them to be more affordable (at the time) than the Logitec, but far less modify-able. (see links)

Well, lockdown had left me with a bit more extra time and the itch for a project. A recent module in uni had given me some exposure to Autodesk inventor, and I fancied taking it further. With a community worth of support on the Autodesk forums, a friend on standby to protype (and post) my designs, a second hand TMX and a semi-decent computer with the software installed, I was ready to go!

Hi All,

First post on these forums but wanted to share my lockdown project! Hopefully will get round to posting pictures when I dig them out on my PC.

My friends and I have been watching F1 for a few years, and when lockdown put a halt to both the F1 and the joy of going to the pub to watch (not to mention the go karting places closing), our collective yearning for racing led us to take the F1 games a bit more competitively.

Having played the code master titles casually for a few years, F1 2019 was the first game my friends and I all agreed to set up a regular league on. Some of these friends had Logitec wheels they used on the Xbox for Forza Etc, and had found during lockdown there are some modifications that could be done to transform them into F1 or GT style wheels.

Obviously jealous of their performances in the league, I decided to look into getting a wheel myself. I had heard good things about the Thrustmaster TMX and found them to be more affordable (at the time) than the Logitec, but far less modify-able. (see links)

Well, lockdown had left me with a bit more extra time and the itch for a project. A recent module in uni had given me some exposure to Autodesk inventor, and I fancied taking it further. With a community worth of support on the Autodesk forums, a friend on standby to protype (and post) my designs, a second hand TMX and a semi-decent computer with the software installed, I was ready to go!
Any pictures of the project?
Im having the same itch on a T150

Upvote 0
So, I started by seeing what wheel designs were already out there, and what I liked (and didn’t like) about different aspects of them. I compared existing products from fanatec, Thrustmaster and some other 3D printed wheels for Logitec. That led me to MVH studios, who makes modifications for Logitech

https://mvhstudios.co.uk/collections/logitech-g920/products/f1-steering-wheel-logitech-g920-xbox

He’s posted a number of videos on YouTube explaining the strength and installation process, which have been backed up by two of my friends purchasing them, with nothing but great feedback. S/O to MVH Studios!

I had decided on a design that was loosely based on the silhouette of the 2012 McLaren F1 wheel:

1621521106865.png

As I was starting from scratch, I took the image and scaled them to the dimensions I wanted my wheel to be in Autodesk inventor. I wanted the radius to be 280mm maximum:
1621521111950.png

I then traced the outline of the rest of the wheel to give me my rough shape. The design was tweaked to match up with some rough dimensions I took on the outside of the wheel:
1621521116414.png

I’m aiming to keep the same motherboard; I was going to use the same holes for the buttons. I therefore needed to open the existing wheel and measure the space. I made some measurements and used a spare piece of acrylic sheet as a template:

1621521122555.png

1621521125936.png

A good guide for removing the motherboard (and the one I used) is on YouTube. [This guide would prove itself useful for a later modification]:

Once I’d measured up, I put the values into a second sketch on inventor and overlaid it on the outline to create my master sketch:
1621521208908.png

Next Step: Create handles and work out backbox

Also final note: needless to say that there have been numerous versions and attempts at getting the shape and buttons right- I’m only showing the good versions (for now)!

Upvote 0
Awsome ! Great Work ! I try to make the same thing
Do you have the dimensions of the motherboard diagram, with a better quality I can't read all mesures.

Upvote 0
Wow looking forward to your project, I will copy if you post more images because I really like the F1 wheel but the round one we have on the TMX is impossible to swap like on the G29

Upvote 0
So, I started by seeing what wheel designs were already out there, and what I liked (and didn’t like) about different aspects of them. I compared existing products from fanatec, Thrustmaster and some other 3D printed wheels for Logitec. That led me to MVH studios, who makes modifications for Logitech

https://mvhstudios.co.uk/collections/logitech-g920/products/f1-steering-wheel-logitech-g920-xbox

He’s posted a number of videos on YouTube explaining the strength and installation process, which have been backed up by two of my friends purchasing them, with nothing but great feedback. S/O to MVH Studios!

I had decided on a design that was loosely based on the silhouette of the 2012 McLaren F1 wheel:

View attachment 476017
As I was starting from scratch, I took the image and scaled them to the dimensions I wanted my wheel to be in Autodesk inventor. I wanted the radius to be 280mm maximum:
View attachment 476018

I then traced the outline of the rest of the wheel to give me my rough shape. The design was tweaked to match up with some rough dimensions I took on the outside of the wheel:
View attachment 476019

I’m aiming to keep the same motherboard; I was going to use the same holes for the buttons. I therefore needed to open the existing wheel and measure the space. I made some measurements and used a spare piece of acrylic sheet as a template:

View attachment 476021

A good guide for removing the motherboard (and the one I used) is on YouTube. [This guide would prove itself useful for a later modification]:

Once I’d measured up, I put the values into a second sketch on inventor and overlaid it on the outline to create my master sketch:
View attachment 476022
Next Step: Create handles and work out backbox

Also final note: needless to say that there have been numerous versions and attempts at getting the shape and buttons right- I’m only showing the good versions (for now)!
Hi buddy, by any chance do you have the diagram please im trying to create a seperate box for the buttons to have on the side, and use an adapter for the steering.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back