rF2 Live Stream: Studio 397 GTE @ Road Atlanta - Fri 13Jul18

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
I lost more time on medium, thats what i tried first race: fastest lap 1:16.3 it got worse each lap 2. race soft 15.8 but same i was never able to get close again, slower and slower. Yes i tried coasting, accelerating different etc. "smooth" driving, adjusted camber/pressure for the 2. race too. That feeling of pushing hard was never there, by lap 3 i played the tire managing game. Also 25°C track is cold by real life standards.
I tried the "right" tire pressure leading up to both events (thought it solves the heat issue too) but the grip is gone.

I have heard and read many times that the "optimal" or "best time" in the tyres is normally the second lap from new. After the outlap the tyre is ready and is at its stickiest point, and should thus provide the fastest time possible. From that point, the tyre properties should just go down and the times be worse - at least when one is pushing for a fastest lap, obviously. Wront or right, the same happens in iRacing if you try 1000 laps of the same car on the same track, you will notice that your first hotlap will be faster than the rest.

Wrong or right... I am no race driver, but I have heard this a few times (at least on GT cars). But again, to prove the behaviour of a material whose properties are continuously changing... in my opinion it's better to accept them as they are and make the best of them :)

If anyone here has an experienced or educated insight on tyre properties and behaviour, please share!

I think that's accurate in general :) And of course different tyre make and models have different characteristics.

But for example in DTM Zandvoort race today cars did more or less the same laptimes whole race (from what I remember). In F1 again you tend to go faster as the fuel burns off even when the tyres wear out. Generally though like I said, laptimes get slower as tyres get more worn out.

I think the main issue people have with these tyres is that grip drops quite fast. I don't really know how the tyres are irl with GTE cars (IMSA, WEC) so dunno if they are similar or not.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back