rF2 Live Stream: Studio 397 GTE @ Road Atlanta - Fri 13Jul18

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Sorry for doing what i did @Jani1980

Rolling start did not work out again, leading driver was accelerating way before the green light. We are supposed to stay at 80 or 100km/h?! Anyway track is way to small for this size of a grid, atleast qualy should have been a private session.

Is this how real tires behave, 2-3 decent laps and i had to slow down with overheating tires, we only had 25°C track temp .. during summer tracks reach 50°C but the real gte cars are not cruising around?
Tire pressure is totally wrong in this, talked to other fast guys and lowest pressure is the ideal pressure in rf2 (140kpa/1,4bar). The optimal working pressure for gte cars in real life is 2,2bar. We only reached something like 1,86bar max. When i tried raising the pressure (reached 2,2 after 3-4 laps), car feels worse lower grip level and sluggish. Source Michelin https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/attachments/michelin-race-tire-cat08-pdf.679968/
Pcar2 post: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/game-changing-info.142309/

Last edited:
Sorry for doing what i did @Jani1980

Rolling start did not work out again, leading driver was accelerating way before the green light. We are supposed to stay at 80 or 100km/h?! Anyway track is way to small for this size of a grid, atleast qualy should have been a private session.

Is this how real tires behave, 2-3 decent laps and i had to slow down with overheating tires, we only had 25°C track temp .. during summer tracks reach 50°C but the real gte cars are not cruising around?

No Problem Flo... :thumbsup:
i rather annoyed me about the permanent light up.
I knew that I have blue flag, but where should i let someone through in the chikane. :thumbsdown:

Tire pressure is totally wrong in this, talked to other fast guys and lowest pressure is the ideal pressure in rf2 (140kpa/1,4bar). The optimal working pressure for gte cars in real life is 2,2bar. We only reached something like 1,86bar max. When i tried raising the pressure (reached 2,2 after 3-4 laps), car feels worse lower grip level and sluggish. Source Michelin https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/attachments/michelin-race-tire-cat08-pdf.679968/
Pcar2 post: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/game-changing-info.142309/
Yeah the pressure vs. grip is certainly not in the right ballpark. And a correction to what I said on TS regarding tyre temps. I just trusted what SImHub dash was showing me but it is not correct. I just recently switched over to using it and didn't notice the issue until now.

Looking at temps with Motec the rears do start to (over)heat quickly. I do personally like that you can't just load the qualy setup for race and be fine. Though maybe in a 20 min race you shouldn't have such issues so quickly... but I think many of us were also using softs... but also people with mediums said the same thing about the heating.

The car does have TC which will help with the rears but apparently also slows you down somewhat fast the higher you set TC. Which to me sounds like the right relationship with overheating vs. speed.

I don't know how the tyres are irl regarding GTE cars so can't comment on whether softs are only qualy tyres or what.

But as I said already I like that you can't just load the qualy setup and do a race pushing hard on the tyres and not have to change a thing. Adjusting driving style, changing brake bias, TC... they all make for a more interesting race imo.

Apologies to @Fox85 for the contact that spun you around in the first race in the chicane on lap 1!
Let me guess, you stayed "in the middle" to force Miguel to brake on the marbles/dirt? Which is fine imo. Miguel of course tried to get as much on the grippy line as possible and didn't see that you were so close to him.

I think it was a case of one or both you you not seeing the other car.

That said, I think both of you could've been safer and that would've avoided this incident. Not blaming anyone as I don't think it was anyone's fault really. Just making the point that the higher risk you take the higher the chance that things go wrong. That's how risk works :D

And ending this on my approach to races. With these club races I usually take things a bit safer as there's nothing on the line except my own enjoyment. To me a high risk decision that puts me or someone else off track is less enjoyable than being safer and just losing a position or two and everyone stays on track :)

Not saying I just let people pass or don't try to overtake, but I mostly try to be safer :)

Apologies for any problems I caused in the first race, I had a pretty bad luck in the first few laps and then also suffered from a fairly strong oversteer, so I was losing it a lot and spinning all over the place, eventually deciding to just retire to not be a liability to others.

The second race was just great, though, the total opposite of the first one. Though I must say it was almost getting a bit too intense for me at times, I'm not used to such close racing and such busy grids, it was just cars left and right all the time :)

Here's my stream VOD (had an impressive amount of viewers as well, for my standards anyway), just skip to around 40 minute mark for the second race (you really don't want to watch the first one):

Anyway, great fun, thanks for the race!

Yeah the pressure vs. grip is certainly not in the right ballpark. And a correction to what I said on TS regarding tyre temps. I just trusted what SImHub dash was showing me but it is not correct. I just recently switched over to using it and didn't notice the issue until now.

Looking at temps with Motec the rears do start to (over)heat quickly. I do personally like that you can't just load the qualy setup for race and be fine. Though maybe in a 20 min race you shouldn't have such issues so quickly... but I think many of us were also using softs... but also people with mediums said the same thing about the heating.

The car does have TC which will help with the rears but apparently also slows you down somewhat fast the higher you set TC. Which to me sounds like the right relationship with overheating vs. speed.

I don't know how the tyres are irl regarding GTE cars so can't comment on whether softs are only qualy tyres or what.

But as I said already I like that you can't just load the qualy setup and do a race pushing hard on the tyres and not have to change a thing. Adjusting driving style, changing brake bias, TC... they all make for a more interesting race imo.

I lost more time on medium, thats what i tried first race: fastest lap 1:16.3 it got worse each lap 2. race soft 15.8 but same i was never able to get close again, slower and slower. Yes i tried coasting, accelerating different etc. "smooth" driving, adjusted camber/pressure for the 2. race too. That feeling of pushing hard was never there, by lap 3 i played the tire managing game. Also 25°C track is cold by real life standards.
I tried the "right" tire pressure leading up to both events (thought it solves the heat issue too) but the grip is gone.

Last edited:
That was much tougher than last week. Couldn't find a set-up, every tweak seemed to make no difference or make it worse! Ran with default which was stable at least. Tyres seemed to lose grip after 5 laps. I assumed they were overheating - but Crew Chief kept telling me they were too cold! Hope to do better next time. It was much choppier in VR compared to last week - not sure if it's the track. Congrats winners + podium. Thx all.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back