License Discussion/Issues

Does anyone know how I can get BTB to work? I've purchased the license and had the program running for a few months, the BTB website says my current license expires 24th November, I've made no changes to my PC and the clock has not been changed yet apparently my license has expired!
I've re-downloaded the current license to no avail. No emails have been answered regarding this hence posting the question here.

My license is not working either. This is unacceptable.

As Iltavilli just mentioned THIS is why there is a pirated version. I wish Piddy would realize that those of us that buy the software shouldn't be punished for buying it and that this is not going to make anyone thinking about buying it want to.
I can understand his frustration, but I don't think that there is enough of a market segment to make a living from this one program. To try and do so will make you crazy. Understand I'm not mad at Piddy but the reality is the users level of frustration can never outweigh the utility of the software (i.e. Vista).

Alex Forbin

I think Piddy answers and helps with real proplems with the licences as he has said, If you really have win xp and have the license but the program is still not running. Just write him. Or ask help in the forum-. Has the license stopped working suddenly, or what has happened?

I want to point out one thing: Not one pirated version is build because of the licence system!!! period! It was there within two months after the 0.8 version was released. Pirated versions are build because people are not willing to pay for a game, a program, an OS and so on. It is a false idea of doing something positive for the internet community. Nothing else.
So don't put Brendon in a position that HE is the cause of the pirated versions.

Pirated versions are build because people are not willing to pay for a game, a program, an OS and so on.

Completely agree, however you've got to wonder how many more people would be willing to pay $15 or $20. just getting into sim racing is extremely expensive, you have to have a good computer, buy the games, and preferably have a decent FFB wheel. I think a lot of people, myself included, just don't have enough money left in our pockets to pay for something like this, where as if it were priced more reasonably I would already own it.

Especially since it's going to be used by a community that will never make money off of the things that it creates. Tracks are uploaded and downloaded freely on this site and others, I can't personally justify paying that much to create something that I'm going to give away.

This is an awesome program, judging from my limited use with the trial, I was able to make some pretty awesome track layouts. Of course I couldn't finish them with out being able to use any of the xpacks. I guess you can't even install the user created packs from here with out having the pro license. But there's no way I will (or can even afford to) pay close to $100 US dollars. I think it's a very exclusionary price and not conducive to a productive modding scene.

sorry for rambling, I can't organize my thoughts very fluidly.

I think it's a very exclusionary price and not conducive to a productive modding scene.

I see this differently. I think having to pay for this program, leads more productive, more high quality modding scene. People are more willing to spend some time with it, learn it, master it, and produce good stuff when they had to pay for it first. And I am quite sure that the major part of worst BTB tracks released, are indeed made with cracked software. I am the exception thou, having paid for this :tongue: :cool:

Still I say this again, I think the licensing system is horrible and something should be done to it. I would be willing to pay some extra to get rid of it completely. I am always actually scared to open the program because being afraid of that depressing "license has being expired" pop up.

Stupid question, it says on BTB site "Once only purchase", does this mean lifetime usage?

My other question is - my PC is better graphics 0- so will be using when at home, but can I install it on my laptop to use in my breaks at work on the same licence key? I'll only ever be running one copy at a time.

It is lifetime usage, but the license is for use on one computer only. If your PC breaks, or you seriously upgrade it, you have to wait for the license to expire, then you renew it for the new system. Renewal is free. If you want to also use it on your laptop, you'll have to buy a second license.

Before you generate your license file (on the BTB site), you choose an expiry period from a list. I think the minimum is 1 month. There are some other choices too. I chose the maximum of 18 months.

1 month is good if your computer breaks and you have to replace a major component. That'll give you a different hardware ID, but at the end of the month you can run HID again and get a new license from the website. The drawback is that you have to keep doing the license procedure every month.
18 months is good if you don't want to be bothered by the expiry, but if your computer breaks after 3 months...

Those of course are the two extremes.

So ... I just renewed my BTB License for the usual 2 months.
Never get an Email anymore (with the new License File) so I log on and find this?
It shows all my information, but no License File is posted for download.
What do I do now? :frown:

BTB.jpg

Hmm, I have had funny situations with several products that uses hardwareID, I think even with BTB I have arrived to situation of needing to generate new ID and activate it again, because I did swap several of USB wireless network adapters, problem being them stopping working randomly, so had to change another one in which worked, then it stopped, had to switch back and so on. For some reason these hardware based things don't like network card swapping too well, even my WinXP throws activation because of that.

Maybe what is considered as hardware is not coded with these external devices on mind and how there can easily be quite lot of changes within USB devices, but that is really a general issue with all hardware based licenses, I think.

I got some major issues here.

Purchased a licence long ago. Had to re-insall Windows recently (was on Win7, now back to XP), thus I had to get another licence. No problem, worked fine (so I thought). It's now telling me it's locked/expired once again.

Tried downloading the licence file, put it in the BTB directory, and nothing.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

I have exactly the same problem mate. I tried emailing him long ago with an issue and didn't get a response (fortunately, I ended up getting some help from elsewhere for it, so i'm not holding out much hope on getting help for this particular issue)
My license is not working either. This is unacceptable.

As Iltavilli just mentioned THIS is why there is a pirated version. I wish Piddy would realize that those of us that buy the software shouldn't be punished for buying it and that this is not going to make anyone thinking about buying it want to.
I can understand his frustration, but I don't think that there is enough of a market segment to make a living from this one program. To try and do so will make you crazy. Understand I'm not mad at Piddy but the reality is the users level of frustration can never outweigh the utility of the software (i.e. Vista).

Alex Forbin

The same problem !

Hello to all.
(Well, I will try to express myself into the best English I can, I'm French indeed).

Several weeks ago, I had purchased the BTB license for my son and I. I followed the instructions given by email. I uploaded the HardwareId.txt file and put it in the BTB folder. At first, the software worked only on the admin session (I have XP SP3). But after two weeks, this message appears :
“The trial period has expired, you need to purchase/install a new license. Please see www.bobstrackbuilder.net”,

However, the XPacker.exe software seems to work on all sessions.

I wrote twice at bob@bobstrackbuilder.net but I got no answer.

So, shall I read all this thread to find any explanation, or is there anybody to give me some advice ?

Thank you for any help.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back