• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured Legendary Developers MicroProse Are Back!

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Paul Jeffrey, Sep 8, 2019.

1. zi99y

zi99y
    Premium

Ratings:
    +19
    The world needs Stunt Car Racer 2, definitely!

• Like Like x 2
  2. skylineforever

skylineforever

Ratings:
    +15
    WOW ! the legendary developers NEVER die (microprose, isi, simbim, kunos, reiza...)

• Beer Beer x 1
  3. Lentoveloz

Lentoveloz
    Premium

Ratings:
    +58
    Great news. Hopefully the return of a big brand (MicroProse) will bring us a great game. I loved GP3, but an excellent past does not guarantee a good future. The fact that we have people who like the brand leading it is very good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. michelforest

michelforest

Ratings:
    +175
    What happened to Geoff Crammond since GP4?

5. Dave Thayer

Dave Thayer

Ratings:
    +26
    Interesting news. I guess time shall tell if Microprose gets back into doing racing games again. I also had GP2 and still have installed GP4 on my Windows 10 computer. I will keep watching the Race Dept news for any more info from Paul.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jivesauce

Jivesauce
    Premium

Ratings:
    +92
    Probably sacrilege here, but my strongest Microprose memory is X-COM. Man those games were good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sean

Sean
    Premium

Ratings:
    +266
    I agree, a bit like a retired F1 star making a come back, never quite the same.
    Hope it's different here, but i'm not holding my breath.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CDwyer

CDwyer

Ratings:
    +25
    Apparently Crammond didn't have an interest in Motorsport until he programmed a game. And it was GP2 that gave me an interest in the sport. I remember being amazed that changing the wing made me go faster, and that made me want to see it done in the real world.

9. David DeGreef

David DeGreef
    R3E Racing Club Host US Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +653
    Would love to see what Geoff Crammond would bring to modern PC's in an F1 title.
    I have the GP4 on CD and have tried to get it to run on my Windows 10 PC to no avail, compatibility mode or otherwise. :confused::(:cry:

10. Ghoults

Ghoults

Ratings:
    +626
    I am a bit cautious about this. If microprose are not going to buy an existing physics engine they are going to have long time ahead building their own racing game. There is also the case about the licenses. Not cars or tracks or series. But who owns the rights to the gran prix name for example? Can they even make a gp 5 for example? With old titles just trying to figure out who owns the name can be super difficult. I also think mr stealey himself is more interested in flight and military sims than racing sims.

11. Fred Locklear

Fred Locklear
    Moving bollard Premium

Ratings:
    +767
    I was also one of those who got hooked on microprose from flight sims. I saw this news and ran to the closet and pulled this out sitting on the top shelf. :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
  12. Terry Rock

Terry Rock

Ratings:
    +745
    20190908_220714.jpg These guys were so far ahead of everybody in racing simulation software.
    I'd love to see what they could do today.
    Great memories....and I too, still own the original GP, GP2, GP3 and GP4.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Beer Beer x 1
  13. Nestoche

Nestoche

Ratings:
    +32
    Great News..However, if the legend; Geoff Crammond is not part of Team Microprose for an F1 simulation(GP5) then it really doesn't matter. Sir Geoff Crammond has to be on the team no question!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. CARL50

CARL50

Ratings:
    +1
    im pretty sure this sim was by micropose it was an apache sim for commodore 64 it had a card board overlay for keyboard and you could use an Atari controller also or at least I did anyway early to mid 80s If anybody remember this sims name pls let me know it was my first sim

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fred Locklear

Fred Locklear
    Moving bollard Premium

Ratings:
    +767
    Gunship

Edit: Bah, I need to go out into the garage and look through some boxes. There may be a few games that survived my last move from MP.

16. CARL50

CARL50

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks

17. liby88

liby88

Ratings:
    +22
    Where i can preorder?!

• Haha Haha x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  18. Carlo Meller

Carlo Meller

Ratings:
    +2
    memories of a teenager...friends,girls,gp2,gp3,gp4.

19. Antonio Castagna

Antonio Castagna

Ratings:
    +20
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!
    THX GOD !!!! :):):):):):)

• Like Like x 1
  20. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon
    SimBin Studios

Ratings:
    +239
    If you search a bit, it looks like the new guy at the helm is the same behind the military training software Titan Vanguard :

And if you look at https://www.microprose.com/ you'll find a quote that says :
    " Microprose future projects covers various development areas including
    WHOLE of EARTH GLOBAL RENDERING FPS games and simulators. "

So I'm quite excited for a global conflict simulator based on outerra engine. I'm getting excited for a sort of Falcon 5.0 with massively multiplayer campaigns.

I'm not convinced they'll venture into racing simulation again. That doesn't seem to be their tech orientation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.