Legendary Developers MicroProse Are Back!

Great news. Hopefully the return of a big brand (MicroProse) will bring us a great game. I loved GP3, but an excellent past does not guarantee a good future. The fact that we have people who like the brand leading it is very good.

Interesting news. I guess time shall tell if Microprose gets back into doing racing games again. I also had GP2 and still have installed GP4 on my Windows 10 computer. I will keep watching the Race Dept news for any more info from Paul.

Am I the only one that isn't too excited by this news? I mean, MicroProse is just a name. What makes a name great is the people behind it. Unless they've somehow managed to bring back the exact same team that put the Grand Prix series together, the name means very little... and neither does the history behind it. There are too many examples of dead big names being revived, but only being a shadow of their former selves, to really get any hopes up of another ultimate GP game. Or any other type of game, for that matter.

I mean, SimBin have a fine history of racing simulation too. They got revived a few years back, even announcing their next big project and... :whistling:

It's also worth pointing out that one of the things that made the GP series great is that it broke new ground, doing things nobody else had done before. That wouldn't be the case this time. Instead, they'll be competing with the other big sims that are already out there, and with more on the way. Doing something that's already established better than anyone else is much harder than setting the standard in the first place.
I agree, a bit like a retired F1 star making a come back, never quite the same.
Hope it's different here, but i'm not holding my breath.

Apparently Crammond didn't have an interest in Motorsport until he programmed a game. And it was GP2 that gave me an interest in the sport. I remember being amazed that changing the wing made me go faster, and that made me want to see it done in the real world.

Would love to see what Geoff Crammond would bring to modern PC's in an F1 title.
I have the GP4 on CD and have tried to get it to run on my Windows 10 PC to no avail, compatibility mode or otherwise. :confused::(:cry:

I am a bit cautious about this. If microprose are not going to buy an existing physics engine they are going to have long time ahead building their own racing game. There is also the case about the licenses. Not cars or tracks or series. But who owns the rights to the gran prix name for example? Can they even make a gp 5 for example? With old titles just trying to figure out who owns the name can be super difficult. I also think mr stealey himself is more interested in flight and military sims than racing sims.

I was also one of those who got hooked on microprose from flight sims. I saw this news and ran to the closet and pulled this out sitting on the top shelf. :)

GK2VEJw.jpg

Great News..However, if the legend; Geoff Crammond is not part of Team Microprose for an F1 simulation(GP5) then it really doesn't matter. Sir Geoff Crammond has to be on the team no question!!

im pretty sure this sim was by micropose it was an apache sim for commodore 64 it had a card board overlay for keyboard and you could use an Atari controller also or at least I did anyway early to mid 80s If anybody remember this sims name pls let me know it was my first sim

im pretty sure this sim was by micropose it was an apache sim for commodore 64 it had a card board overlay for keyboard and you could use an Atari controller also or at least I did anyway early to mid 80s If anybody remember this sims name pls let me know it was my first sim

Gunship

Edit: Bah, I need to go out into the garage and look through some boxes. There may be a few games that survived my last move from MP.

If you search a bit, it looks like the new guy at the helm is the same behind the military training software Titan Vanguard :

And if you look at https://www.microprose.com/ you'll find a quote that says :
" Microprose future projects covers various development areas including
WHOLE of EARTH GLOBAL RENDERING FPS games and simulators. "

So I'm quite excited for a global conflict simulator based on outerra engine. I'm getting excited for a sort of Falcon 5.0 with massively multiplayer campaigns.

I'm not convinced they'll venture into racing simulation again. That doesn't seem to be their tech orientation.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 6.4%