@RasmusP
You are ofcourse allowed to have this oppinion.
But compare Vettels behaviour in this video (from Russias race) and try to make a mental experiment if this had been Magnussen instead of Vettel.
Im sure most people would have said that this idiot Magnussen should be excluded from several races because he intentionally try to crash other drivers.
Actually I personally think this Vettel move is much harder to defend than Magnussens vs Leclerc.
That wasn't a nice move too, absolutely! Hamilton was pissed about it and he got every right to be!
I think most of the "great F1 drivers" did these moves. Senna, Schumacher, Vettel. One could probably find some footage of Hamilton or Alonso doing it too.
I think the problem with Magnussen ist that he isn't (yet) seen as one of the big ones and therefore he somehow, at least in the perspective of many spectators, can't make up for his "bad ones".

Now I'm quite objective about it. This move wasn't nice and it was a bit dangerous and it's just on the edge of getting him a penalty but I'm fine with it being rated just a racing incident!
I just think if Mag wants to be seen in a different light, he better starts either doing extremely great or turns it a bit down before he can't shape the picture of him to a better one anymore.

"I think the problem with Magnussen ist that he isn't (yet) seen as one of the big ones and therefore he somehow, at least in the perspective of many spectators, can't make up for his "bad ones".
Pretty reasonable comment.
Fully agree with that :)

But my personal oppinion about your "I just think if Mag wants to be seen in a different light" is that he DOESNT want to be seen "in a different light"!
His attitude is more like Sennas and Mansells hehe and like my personal hero Rene Arnoux who refused to obey team orders which did cost Prost 1 championship (as I faintly recall).
This no-BS attitude is probably one of the reasons Magnussen feels sooo at home at Haas.
Because the team boss Steiner does understand (and does support) his slightly :) aggressive attitude.

Magnussen is even stupid in Codies F1 2018, & always will be. I fear overtaking him in the game. Was having a good fight with Verstappen & Magnessun took us both out trying to get out the way as a back marker...I agree with Leclerc :D

Maybe they can bring out a Magnessun stupidity update patch in 1.11 :roflmao:

So much for all the clever boys making this poll pointing at Magnussen.
Their judgement based on their little telly will allways be more objective than a certain Whitings. :)

I would've agreed, had it not been for the quite obvious fact that Leclerc began to move to the right, quite a bit before Magnussen jerked his car to the right.

I would've agreed, had it not been for the quite obvious fact that Leclerc began to move to the right, quite a bit before Magnussen jerked his car to the right.
Your kind of "obvious fact" is entertaining - but not very fact-like :)
To the contrary of you Mr Whiting and the stewards does know that even the fastest human reaction time is way above the 10-20ms FIAs telemetry does show(!) that there was between Leclerc move and Magnussens.
Thats the reason they did judge that the 2 drivers move was at instantly the same moment.
So Magnussens move could not be a reactive move.

Your kind of "obvious fact" is entertaining - but not very fact-like :)
To the contrary of you Mr Whiting and the stewards does know that even the fastest human reaction time is way above the 10-20ms FIAs telemetry does show(!) that there was between Leclerc move and Magnussens.
Thats the reason they did judge that the 2 drivers move was at instantly the same moment.
So Magnussens move could not be a reactive move.

That is because the stewards for some reason does not count the start of the move from Leclerc before he turned harder on his wheel. But he was going right way earlier.

Again, look at the gif I posted on the last page.
Scratch that, found another one.

Leclerc starts to move right, quite a bit before Magnussen does. I would say he's moved about half a cars width before the moves a bit faster to the right, at which point Magnussen does the same.
The stewards somehow come to the conclusion that Leclerc didn't start his move until his last steering input to the right, while completely ignoring there is only one reason to move out of a slipstream as he starts to do earlier, that is to make a move.

EDIT:
image.gif

Couple that with the Magnussen onboard: https://streamable.com/03lcu (at 39 seconds onwards)
You can clearly see that Magnussen is monitoring his mirrors, he knows where Leclerc. And yet, he doesn't go defensive until Leclerc actually does his move.

Last edited:
What came to my mind:
They have telemetry and also both onboards. Maybe Magnussen started to stear basically at the same moment but just didn't steer as fast as leclerc?
So from lec's view it looks like mag turned over quite a moment later but the actual beginning of the wheel movement was very close.

What came to my mind:
They have telemetry and also both onboards. Maybe Magnussen started to stear basically at the same moment but just didn't steer as fast as leclerc?
So from lec's view it looks like mag turned over quite a moment later but the actual beginning of the wheel movement was very close.
No you can see Magnussen position compared to the grid lines. He is clearly going straight.

@RasmusP
You are ofcourse allowed to have this oppinion.
But compare Vettels behaviour in this video (from Russias race) and try to make a mental experiment if this had been Magnussen instead of Vettel.
Im sure most people would have said that this idiot Magnussen should be excluded from several races because he intentionally try to crash other drivers.
Actually I personally think this Vettel move is much harder to defend than Magnussens vs Leclerc.

Vettel starts to move to the right BEFORE Hamilton. There's nothing else to say about it. This two cases aren't in any way comparable.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back