Lando Norris Confirmed at McLaren in 2019.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Norris to McLaren.jpg

McLaren Renault make surprise move to promote British youngster Lando Norris to race team role from next season.

Norris, 18, is currently competing for the 2018 Formula 2 title with Carlin Motorsport and is a long time McLaren junior driver. Having achieved some impressive drives this season in the Formula One support category, Norris has recently been seen during Grand Prix weekend action at both Spa and Monza, McLaren pairing him with incumbent driver Stoffel Vandoorne in what was widely considered a direct comparison between the two drivers.

Despite having somewhat segmented time on track due to inclement weather conditions in the last two Grand Prix, it appears that Norris has done enough to convince the Woking management that a shot at the race seat for next season is worth a gamble, ending Vandoorne’s time with the British outfit.

“We believe Lando is an exciting talent, full of potential, who we’ve very deliberately kept within the McLaren fold for exactly that reason,” said McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown.​

“We already know he’s fast, he learns quickly, and has a mature head on his young shoulders. We see much potential for our future together. The investment we have made in his budding career with simulator development and seat-time in the car has been well-deserved, as he has continued to prove his abilities both behind the wheel and in his work with the engineering team.

“Lando is an integral part of our plan for rebuilding our Formula 1 operation for the future, and he has already developed a strong relationship with the team.

“In Lando and Carlos we have an impressive duo who, despite their relative youth, hold valuable experience in Formula 1 and with McLaren, and represent the next generation of McLaren drivers to lead the team forward.

"While our short-term focus is fixed on securing the best possible result for the remainder of the 2018 season, we’re also massively motivated by the opportunities that lie ahead.”

Norris added: “To be announced as a race driver for McLaren is a dream come true. Although I’ve been part of the team for a while now, this is a special moment, one I could only hope would become reality.

“I’d like to thank the whole team for this amazing opportunity and for believing in me. I’m also extremely grateful for the commitment McLaren has already shown in my development, allowing me to build my experience in a Formula 1 car in both testing and on Fridays during the past two race weekends.

“For the remainder of 2018, my focus remains firmly on the Formula 2 championship. My objective is to win the title before joining McLaren full-time, which will be tough, but I will fight as hard as I can for the remaining four races.

“I’ll also be working closely with McLaren at every opportunity to learn as much as possible from the drivers, engineers and mechanics to give myself the best preparation ahead of next year.”

It remains to be seen what will become of Vandoorne next season, with a potential seat at Sauber the most realistic option for the talented Belgian.

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is amazing news, to see McLaren allow young and talented drivers to come up. He has been an amazing talent and looking forward to watching him race in F1 next year.

Hopefully him and Sainz will be able to help drag McLaren from up from where they have been for far too long now.

Another talent, like vandoorne that will be destroyed by an underperforming car..

Unfortunately there isn't a "kind of agree" post button, but I know exactly where you are coming from on this. I've lost count of the number of really good drivers that destroy their careers in F1, only to get another chance (and do well) in Indycar, WEC, Le Mans, etc.

Good news though and I wish him well, I have a feeling it will be tough for him and Sainz though.

Great news for Lando...hopefully Stoffel finds a ride for next year, seems like a talented driver in a subpar machine.

Am I the only one hoping that Porsche/TAG eventually makes an F1 comeback as an engine supplier and saves McLaren from the midfield madness? :unsure:

With all due respect but I think what has destroyed Vandoorne is not the car, is Alonso. Bad dance partner.

Of course beating Alonso is not easy but it looks like people think Vandoorne is a bad driver because of his bad performances.

What most people don't know is that Alonso's car and Vandoorne's car are not equal.
Vandoorne's car has issues, i can provide you with some proof:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137558/vandoorne-has-less-downforce-than-alonso

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137566/alonso-vandoorne-closer-than-other-teammates

So yeah, i hope vandoorne will find a drive for the next season, it would be a shame if not. And i hope both car next season will be equals.

Ah, so you think the actual McLaren drivers are to blame, because the car is good enough !?

That's not what I said, but there are massive problems behind the scenes at McLaren that they will have to resolve. A change can only help that and Alonso also wasn't helping the morale of the team by constantly telling the world how bad the car is.

So no, I do not think the drivers are the sole problem at all.

That's not what I said, but there are massive problems behind the scenes at McLaren that they will have to resolve. A change can only help that and Alonso also wasn't helping the morale of the team by constantly telling the world how bad the car is.

So no, I do not think the drivers are the sole problem at all.

Yes I agree, and I think unlike Williams they have the driver balance right. One new driver, one with lots of experience. Yes in these days of motorsport almost everything is data driven, but the feedback from an experienced driver still makes a difference.

Allthough Lando has shown respectable results, so there might be some real talent in him, he´s just another billionaires son.
I've lost count of the number of really good drivers that destroy their careers in F1, only to get another chance (and do well) in Indycar, WEC, Le Mans, etc.
That´s true, but if we are honest F1 is not the over-the-top-series that it was 30 years ago (there was no other big world series to compete in at the time). It´s still marketed that it is, but even for fans the time has come to realize the sport and competition in other series is much better. Drivers have realized that some time ago. If you´re only in it for the money, you will undoubtly have to become a F1-pilot.

Norris is an great wee driver, really enjoy watching him in F3 & F2 and can`t wait to see him in F1. But going to a crap team like Mclaren could destroy his carrear just ask poor old Stoffel.

I've enjoyed his streams. Now I get to see him dance with the big boys. Leclerc is a legend in waiting and I'm excited for Lando's prospects.

Of course beating Alonso is not easy but it looks like people think Vandoorne is a bad driver because of his bad performances.

What most people don't know is that Alonso's car and Vandoorne's car are not equal.
Vandoorne's car has issues, i can provide you with some proof:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137558/vandoorne-has-less-downforce-than-alonso

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137566/alonso-vandoorne-closer-than-other-teammates

So yeah, i hope vandoorne will find a drive for the next season, it would be a shame if not. And i hope both car next season will be equals.
That's not evidence. I do not think that Vandoorne is a bad pilot at all, in fact I think he is a great pilot, there are his titles. Having a bad car is death in F1, but having Alonso next door I think is even worse. I hope that Vandoorne can get a good contract anywhere, I think he deserves another chance for his talent. But Vandoorne is not Alonso and never will be.

Seems like a nice lad, but is this deserved? Zak Brown manages him......

Hope i’m wrong but I fear he could be a flop.

Second Vandoorne incoming! Even Sainz has fallen to the blackhole. People will disagree with me on this one, but I don't see any bright future for any driver in this team, and Willams too. The only team I can see that has potential to rise up to the challenge is Renault. But that's still up in the air. The changes that I see happening in F1 currently only promises one thing. It's still Ferrari and Merc in 2019. Vettel better gather his :poop: together or Lewis and Merc will just swallow them alive.

The changes that I see happening in F1 currently only promises one thing. It's still Ferrari and Merc in 2019. Vettel better gather his :poop: together or Lewis and Merc will just swallow them alive.

Agreed (except I'm a Merc and Lewis fan :D)...If Lewis wins the WDC this year, I think he has a pretty good chance of hitting or even passing Schumi's 7 Championship record. This season was probably a wakeup call for Mercedes to step things up a notch since Ferrari is kicking back hard.

Agreed (except I'm a Merc and Lewis fan :D)...If Lewis wins the WDC this year, I think he has a pretty good chance of hitting or even passing Schumi's 7 Championship record. This season was probably a wakeup call for Mercedes to step things up a notch since Ferrari is kicking back hard.

Agree.. But no one realized the Ferrari power everybody's talking about, although is very real, is also the curse that brought them down last race. Kimi talking about his tyres, and Vettel talking about the spin he had, but no one ever mentioned Vettel tyres after that race. It's way destroyed more than Kimi's.

The power they have is too much for the tyres to handle that race. Singapore is interesting though. Rooting for Max V on that one. But Lewis or Valtteri will always be there, ready to take over once the crash heads Vettel and Max V get together... Again :rolleyes:

Sorry... went off topic... Lando Norris, seems like a nice guy... let's go back to that. I had the privilege to race with him more than twice in iRacing. He talks to everybody, not acting like a star in any way. Also Rubens Barichello, three times, but he don't talk too much. He just gets angry when he crash. :roflmao:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back