Kunos: Converted tracks from other games to AC = Ban!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modding is a grey area to begin with, let alone taking someone's work and converting it.

I don't think their is a correct way to go about it. We all want certain things in the game and sometimes the content owner wants to be compensated for it. The problem lies in getting that content at an affordable price.

@Saleem,

Can you please pin this to the forum so it doesn't get lost as new discussions are started or old ones updated. I think this needs to be easily accessed by everyone who comes to the forum so they know Kunos (and RD) have a zero tolerance for unauthorized modding of non-original content.

Thanks.

@Saleem,

Can you please pin this to the forum so it doesn't get lost as new discussions are started or old ones updated. I think this needs to be easily accessed by everyone who comes to the forum so they know Kunos (and RD) have a zero tolerance for unauthorized modding of non-original content.

Thanks.
I don't have that type of permission to do that lol. I'll forward the request though.

I guess there no absolute 100% full proof way of determining if content has been ripped, unless you can somehow make a direct overlay comparison of the track map geography.

But from the Eastern Creek and Top Gear tracks you could pretty easily tell that it was close to identical to the rFactor counterpart. The Eastern Creek curbing placements, colours and sizes were all identical, and the Top Gear track had those same green patches on various parts of the tarmac.

Someone posted a video on the AC forums showing the similarity.

So I guess the obvious next question is if someone starts with existing content then changes it by adding updated textures, new curbs, etc.. would that constitute original content?
Looking pretty grey to me. IMO I'll stick to content that I have seen being developed. That's my personal opinion but could help clear up a lot of confusion about it overtime.

OK. I just had a careful read through the thread over at the official AC forum and from what I gather Kunos does not allow ANY track conversions from other games.

This policy is specific to their forum and I think they want people to wait for the modding tools so that any content created for the sim is at the same level as the official content both in terms of visual quality as well as physics. One of the tracks that was removed actually had the permission of the original creator (only attained after the fact) but even that was taken down. So people should know not to post ANY converted content from other titles over at the AC forum.

I can only say Go Kunos. With knowing what it feels like to have people taking my work without permission, and even trying to profit from it, I really think they're going in the right direction. In my mind there should be no room for conversions, in any community. The simplest way to explain it is lazy. If you want something done, you should do it for yourself, it's much more satisfying and will save many people headaches down the road.

Agreed.

These aren't trivial matters and I think it's important that the community knows where things stand in respect to converted/borrowed/stolen content. From Kunos' perspective they don't have the time, resources and financial incentive to verify authorization for every conversion so the easiest thing to do is ban them outright - saves a lot of headaches in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back