Kunos: Converted tracks from other games to AC = Ban!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we feel has been pointed out clearly by Rupe. In case of hesitation, read our Terms and Rules,

What Kunos announces and polices on their own forums is entirely up to them :thumbsup:

We have taken the moral road for the last seven years on the request of many sim racing developers and in the end it only bites us in the rear as other sites do not follow up.

Even so many years we tried to get official statements or a healthy debate from the same developers in the sim racing community and they have kept silent all the way hiding behind our backs.

Our terms and rules, everybody agreed on when signing up, are really clear on what is allowed and not allowed to upload on this site and thats how far our responsibility goes.

There is a "report" button under each post and in case some member uploaded material that belongs to you, click it, submit proof and then we will follow up on it.

Since this was brought in discution,i also have a track in mind for AC and there is one made for other games,but i started my own project because thats how is done...beside a converted track from older games looks verry verry bad not to mention the huge difference in elevation...so modders start working on those new tracks with today technology...as they say,my 2c

Something bothers me only in this part of the text:
"DO NOT CONVERT CONTENT FROM OTHER GAMES."

As most real known tracks are in other games .... what will be allowed in their modding tools ???

I totally understand the rest of course, except maybe the employed tone.

As long as you start from scratch, don't rip off other people's code and don't intend to sell your finished product anything is OK.

If you have permission then I'd still see conversions as OK, Kunos may not as some conversions have a dubious history. I think they have to take this route to cover themselves against future legal problems.

When I see all this guardians of the modding purity I smell the air of spanish inquisition, thanks RD for your common sense attitude
I believe its time for a change and start a new path than going on same route everytime...I am no longer satisfied by the quality of old modded tracks( or cars)...and seen an old track with outdated texture and rong elevation in a new game engine...it looks verry bad.
I dont say its easy to make a track but you really are happy with the old tracks MOD? If so then its no need for evolution,why bother to improve yourself.

I believe its time for a change and start a new path than going on same route everytime...I am no longer satisfied by the quality of old modded tracks( or cars)...and seen an old track with outdated texture and rong elevation in a new game engine...it looks verry bad.
I dont say its easy to make a track but you really are happy with the old tracks MOD? If so then its no need for evolution,why bother to improve yourself.

If you don't like it don't use it, nobody is forcing you. And yes, right now i'm happy with this old tracks because there aren't any others

I have a different take on this and I could be wrong but I think the quality of the converted tracks that were made available weren't up to the standard that Kunos wanted so they had them removed. My guess is that since AC is still a pre-release and not a final product, they don't want anyone to get a bad impression of the game based on modded content that doesn't meet Kunos standards which might affect sales.

Last edited:
Our terms and rules, everybody agreed on when signing up, are really clear on what is allowed and not allowed to upload on this site and thats how far our responsibility goes.

From RD Terms and Rules:
  • Do not hotlink, post, attach, or upload other peoples content unless you have permission to do so. See our Copyright and Intellectual Property Policy for more information.
  • When creating or uploading free to use mods, car skins, helmets, cars, tracks etc users should seek official permission first from the copyright or trademark holders.
does this apply only to official games content or also to modders work?

I have a different take on this and I could be wrong but I think the quality of the converted tracks that were made available weren't up to the standard that Kunos wanted so they had them removed. My guess is that since AC is still a pre-release and not a final product, they won't want anyone to get a bad impression of the game based on modded content that doesn't meet Kunos standards which might affect sales.

I don't think you are right, Kunos remove the tracks only when some users start complaining, till then the tracks were allowed without problem, so I think they removed it just to prottect themselves against acusations of copyright violation, wich is normal.

Same applies of course to modders work as well. We host all our files in good faith.

now im a bit confused

if the same applies to modders work ... isnt converting tracks and uploading it here without permission against these terms and rules?

since im also start modding i really want to know how RD looks at this ... Joux Plane was removed because of a similar situation ... but this ones seems to be ok ... what is the difference?

I can only repeat what was posted above. We host files in good faith.

However if there is something "illegal" spotted and the original author has a problem with it they should "flag" the content via the report system and we remove it.

If we do not receive reports about infringements we can only conclude that the content is okay.

Yeah its impossible to verify until someone (owner of the original content in one case) makes the observation...Anyway it should be stated when a new MOD thread is made with a track or car if the content ( converted ) has the approvals from the owners of the original content.And who fails to do so,or lie about it, should recieve a penalty,by the rules.

ok ... i understand the policy now ... maybe you should add that part to the terms and rules text cause when i read it i assume you will simple remove this kind of content when you take knowledge of it ... no matter by who

and good to know RBR makers did complain here about Joux Plane .... maybe they are still in business afterall and will present us with a RBR2 in the future
;)

I don't think you are right, Kunos remove the tracks only when some users start complaining, till then the tracks were allowed without problem, so I think they removed it just to prottect themselves against acusations of copyright violation, wich is normal.

And I don't think you are right. I clearly stated I have a different take. Its my opinion. Nothing more. None of us work at Kunos so we don't know the real truth regardless of what we're told. How many tracks or cars have been converted from one game to another and not been removed over the years? You don't find it a little strange this is happening now especially when so many rFactor tracks were converted to netKar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes