Cars KRB Audi S1 Silhouette

Finally could combine a bunch of assets I made this week with the car:
yVsTZvO.jpg

what a difference tires and rims make to the appearance of the car. They seem a little small compared to the real car, but this is mostly due to the (currently still) white rims.

g3KquBa.jpg

The rim is not 100% scratch made. I haven't found out which rims the real car is running, but found some on 3DWarehouse I think it was, that were close enough. In the end I kept only the spokes of those and that one inner ring, made those finer and more detailed with lots of Ctrl-B, and did the rest myself. Tire texture was self-shot last week at the 'Ring :geek:

I6o5fVz.jpg

Audi rings no longer floating :roflmao:

And another look through the hood on whats hidden below
SIMTTVG.jpg

Best. Detail. Ever.:roflmao:
There's a specific word for that (technical improvisation) in portuguese: "Gambiarra"
Actually it's almost a life style :D
Good job sir!
You should search Speedhunters for articles tagged as Gatebil, many follow that life style. Engine, drivetrain and safety stuff is done top notch, but often enough then the rest of the vehicle is bolted/taped to it in a rather artistic fashion last minute to get the car ready for whatever meeting :D

Like this (extreme example):
2015-Starlet-Featured-Image-1-1200x800.jpg

Now this car is really starting to get in shape from this point ! Very nice rims and tires :)

We have a special name for zip ties in Baltic States too - "chamutai". It is not unusual that mechanics gives weird names for every part, that they almost creates their own "language". Something like people talking about World of Warcraft or something like that, when you don't play it - you have no idea what they are talking about :D

Around here with our compound nouns names of things can be long, but pretty straight forward. Zip-tie is "Kabelbinder" -> Cable tie. I actually often have the problem that I momentarily forget the name of things and tools in German... "Lathe, lathe, lathe.... Drehbank!"

Made a collider for the car yesterday, with its weird Blender bug/feature. Exporting it like this:
6NgO5Kw.jpg

will make it work alright ingame:
JWEjOwV.jpg

btw, anyone interested in doing some beta testing? I'm not sure but I think the guy who once told me he worked with KRB is no longer active on AC, so I'm not sure I'll ever get any real data from the car (I had been warned that the team had almost no data, not even a blueprint of their suspension geometry). I'm most interested in someone who can help me with springs and dampers.

Anything in my head that I learned during the Evo Time Attack experience is yours to use - you know where to find me. :)

(Yes, that was quite a process... "you mean it seriously needs more spring rate? still? how about now? more? now? more? it's already ridiculous. more, then? good. now, about dampers...")

BzkAvou.jpg

made hood pins
I9KMNwd.jpg

ncZxApR.jpg

and the car finally has brakes. Traditional at the front

cnDuTFd.jpg

and "different" at the back. Afaik KRB did not runs this setup very long and switched to a conventional layout, but I kept it becuase it is so unique, and I wanted to try if the brake glow stuff worked independent from the hubs

@Stereo I don't want to spam the other thread more than necessary. Is it possible to combine both suspension animation via keyframes and via DIR conventions? This is how I have it setup, but its not following the steer input
lmJCIxt.jpg

Been some days since last progress update

I've been to the museum again today, and found a detail i overlooked before:
YdhZ1xB.jpg

Zipties! I feel fully verified now :D

Took some more high res pictures I made into normal maps for the reflector layer of the lamps. the main lamp cover is part of the skin, fully skinable (KRB ran the car without lamps later on, so via main skin they can simply be "deleted" now) Did tune the shaders some more after taking this screen.
g4ZuaJl.jpg

Found a technique to make windows seals in a matter of minutes:
xyBUCdy.jpg

Bit more parts for the front drivetrain. Steering arms follow according to DIR conventions (thanks Stereo for the help) Textures still WIP
Y0kMTz2.jpg

Rear wing no longer floating (I did this before making the UV map already)
z4IVani.jpg

Whole car is at 160k tris, 40 texture files

Headlight normals seems to be a bit low. Either normal map has low amplitude, or shader settings aren't there. IIRC, specularity and fresnel settings can alter things significantly.

Headlight normals seems to be a bit low. Either normal map has low amplitude, or shader settings aren't there. IIRC, specularity and fresnel settings can alter things significantly.
These were made just from frontal photos of those Urquattro headlamps, think the Normalmap turned out too weak. I may try just retracing the structure in black and white and then let the plugin run on it. I haven't found a way to generate the typical "blue based" Normalmaps in Blender yet, you need to somehow include a "base mesh" which I don't understand how to do

2016-10-03 17.04.40.jpg

I never succeeded to get good result straight from headlight photo, and I tried hard to adjust photo to be only blank'n white. It was just impossible.

Finally, I just painted every seam and symbol by hand. I haven't done masterpiece, but I like how "Le Mans" turned out :D

In the end result is OK, IMO.

I have exactly zero idea about generating normal maps in blender :D

Sorry for not actually answering what you ask :D

My Jag blur is not the best (especially when I released with map texture all the way blue and a lot of green), also could use few more tweaks.

Also I have used photoshop, I guess I'm not being helpful even more now :D

Do you use rims AO ? I simply used AO bake, and applied radial blur filter for it. I guess there should be such filter in gimp ? I haven't asked anyone if it is the best technique, but I guess so. As soon as I baked AO for rims, I eventually knew that I will use it for blur.

On the 996 I used radial blur, but, I guess, too little transparency on the blur. I realised this ofc only after making the rim textures for all 20 skins... :whistling:
Did not do anything on the car this weekend except more work on the reflectors of the front and rear lights and a connecting piece on the front brakes, so that the calipers are no longer installed via Siemens airhooks. Reusing textures from other parts, I'll try keeping the car at under 50 textures, including NM, maps and so on. Physics are moving along fine too, thanks for that.

Just loaded the car into the showroom for the first time, I'm surprised, looks better than expected. Who needs renders?

ZCrGLp6.jpg

6iGySig.jpg

DoJ165Y.jpg

NUAr1Le.jpg

I see I again forgot door handles, oops

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back