Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
A new very positive (p)review of the Reverb G2 by MRTV has just been released, its also now available for pre-order in Europe as well as the US, according to the pre-order site it will be released on 15th September and at £525 in the UK so cheaper than I expected (I assumed it would mirror the USD price).

Still not sure whether I pre-order or wait for production reviews given the flaws the G1 had when it was released, very tempted though.

• Deleted member 197115

Looks like HP is trying to beat others to the market with overly aggressive early preorders via 3rd party partners.
I'd wait for at least when they start taking orders on HP site, which accordingly to rep should happen closer to the release.
Who knows may be HP direct order will ship faster, or we will have some idea what other manufacturers have to offer at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was tempted to preorder for about 5min before I came to my senses after weighing the pros vs the cons.

I eagerly wait to see reviews from multiple users and after a month or more beyond release for any early adopter issues to be discovered. It's HP, they will be easier to get than my Index was, which is enjoyable enough to have the patience to see if the new hotness lives up to expectation.

And here it is the news all of us 2080Ti owners have longed for! LOL!
Unlike the 1080Ti which has been well regarded for years and years and considered a pretty good bang for the buck ( at least when bitcoin mining didn't overly inflate the card), the 2080Ti was considered a rip off from day one. It's expensive! It's bulky! Mine takes 3 slots! It eats a lot of power! AND it was only marginally more powerful than the 1080Ti.

The next nail in the coffin is coming. Those of use who got our 2080Ti's fully expecting them to be disposable are apparently feeling differently than some others who expect to have resale value from their cards.

Historically speaking the best time to buy new GPUs was after they launched once the price wasn't being gouged. That way you maximise the period at which it delivers its best performance. The best generations of cards have mostly been those on new silicon processes which bring a lot more transistors and the refreshes have mostly been worse but often compensated for by cheaper prices, often bringing similar performance cheaper but obviously later.

If you want to maximise your return on investment then sure sell the card, a lot of people do well speculating on this market and taking advantage of people that don't know how this works. The problem is that if Nvidia is really going with the prices this guy is suggesting its another generation where price/performance is unmoved and we simply pay more for more performance. That would be disastrous for the idea of Moore's law delivering ever more transistors and density at the same price point and with the consoles looming at a fraction of these prices I can't see them selling well in the same way that the 2000 series had issues getting shifted as well. The price needs to be better than that, I sure hope it is because the gouging is pretty bad.

Last edited:
Really hope these prices and performance are true. Can't see it myself, they always seem to be out of my price range, but 500 -550 UK pounds would be just about feasible for something close to a 2080ti'

If AMD up their game, then that might just be the factor that keeps Nvidia honest. Oh wait... I've just woken up. Oh well, nice dream whilst it lasted. :(

As WHOPPER said in War Games. The only way to win is not to play.

These toys have a rapid half.life. if the new stuff is a lot better that is a good thing. More fun is coming!

If AMD up their game, then that might just be the factor that keeps Nvidia honest. Oh wait... I've just woken up. Oh well, nice dream whilst it lasted. :(

I actually think (hope) AMD could prove to be serious competition for these upcoming nVidia releases if the leaks etc about Ampere are to be believed (as long as they get their drivers sorted!), in which case prices may have to be trimmed to remain competitive. For the past few years nVidia haven't really had any competition at the £500+ high end consumer sector of the GPU market so they can charge pretty much what they like for cards that are quicker than the best AMD can offer. If AMD can release cards with comparable high end performance at say £700-£800 then nVidia won't be able to command the £1000+ for their top end cards which will have a knock on effect for the cards immediately below them in the performance heirarchy that more of us can afford.

I actually think (hope) AMD could prove to be serious competition for these upcoming nVidia releases if the leaks etc about Ampere are to be believed (as long as they get their drivers sorted!), in which case prices may have to be trimmed to remain competitive. For the past few years nVidia haven't really had any competition at the £500+ high end consumer sector of the GPU market so they can charge pretty much what they like for cards that are quicker than the best AMD can offer. If AMD can release cards with comparable high end performance at say £700-£800 then nVidia won't be able to command the £1000+ for their top end cards which will have a knock on effect for the cards immediately below them in the performance heirarchy that more of us can afford.

To some extend the issues with AMD is less hardware than poor drivers for DirectX. Amd Gpus workes great with Linux but have a lot more issues with DirectX / Windows.
Another way to lower the prices are not to pre-order and not to buy expensive Gpus!
While that will not happen. I do wonder if people buying into the very top cards realize how little they get for the money?
If you get a 30% higher score in synthetic tests you will max see a 15% jump in RL use likely not even that.
Special in Sim racing games where we are mainly limited by poor utilizing of CPU's anyway

Yep, although I think driver quality is to some extent a secondary issue that many potential buyers wouldnt be aware of, so if AMD Card X is a few percent quicker than nVidia Card Y at the same price point it will still sell, as proven by those that chose the 5800XT over a 2060S at the ~£400 price bracket when AMD were still having big issues with their drivers earlier in the year.

Really hope these prices and performance are true. Can't see it myself, they always seem to be out of my price range, but 500 -550 UK pounds would be just about feasible for something close to a 2080ti'

it happened with ryzen and intel

Btw the G2 can be bought in europe too: https://bestware.com/en/hp-reverb-g2.html

• Deleted member 197115

Not sure if this excites anyone, but at least some news.

yawn.jpg

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Forum trophies