Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Mixed Reality TV just put out a video showing how to setup the G2 with Index controllers. This is the same process that others have done before with any other WMR headset and SteamVR base station controllers.

I'm unsure what the trickle down is on running both systems simultaneously, but my gut tells me to avoid unnecessary complexity with VR systems.

Apparently the drivers keep getting more efficient!

I took a break from my work on this fine Saturday and picked up my game of In Death at the level of Purgatory 10.

In Death supports a lot of the RTX features of my 2080Ti, so the fire, fog/smoke and other effects look very good.
Running 144 fps
with VRSS
with some additional super sampling for good measure.
AND it had no problems with the higher levels that have a lot more bad guys going much faster.

I had seen a tiny bit of sluggishness at the higher levels before at 120fps, but no 144fps is no problem.

Holy smokes Batman!

At that refresh rate you do perceive more resolution because it is effectively interpolating by putting many more screens of information in front of me as I'm moving my head. In fact I'm out resolving the image maps more noticeably playing In Death.

It does look better than 120 fps.

So I'm thinking, hmm how about Half Life Alyx ? Half Life Alyx is EXTREMELY well optimized and running 144 fps with VRSS with all graphics options maxed out is really something to see. Not out resolving the image map here.

The sense of immediacy makes everything feel even more "real".

I didn't take time to use my rig at 144 fps in a racing sim, but I'm thinking that since I'm usually running 120 fps and since it appears more efficiency has come during some recent update while I've been working....

Maybe it's time to try racing at 144 fps :)

I wonder if I can get Dirt Rally 2.0 to run a native 144 fps? THAT game would seriously benefit from a higher frame rate with the car bouncing around like it does especially with motion.

I haven't fired up ACC in at least 6 months and maybe closer to a year. I won't get my hopes up, but I wonder....

Last edited:
Intel, drops the ball AGAIN!
7nm is now 2022 to 2023 and Intel is now talking to 3rd party foundaries.

AMD may actually be able to take the top gaming CPU title away from Intel...

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

This is interesting. G2 only support? Why not any WMR HMD?

Well, obviously you can't fully enjoy the new MS flight simulator with at least a G2 ;)

MS is notorious about orphaning off recent tech that they've lost interest in.

Do you think this is the start of a new 2 tier WMR classification?

• Deleted member 197115

Well, obviously you can't fully enjoy the new MS flight simulator with at least a G2 ;)

On that G2 only claim, I suspect it's just bad interpretation, the title will be on Steam, so it could be just better "optimized" for G2, in a sense you get best visuals. Linked article actually suggests that.

MRTV have done another G2 through the lens comparison video, this time using a car sim (PC2)

Slightly worryingly he says (just after the 6 minute mark) that from Friday 31st (tomorrow!) the price for the European pre-orders is going up to 699Eur from 599Eur, so I assume the UK and US etc will be the same? hmmm

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Some EU retailers had a promotion that is ending. US didn't.

Looks like UK site has already gone up, now listed at £639 on the SystemActive pre-order website so will need to pre-order from the European site today/tomorrow if you want the cheaper price in the UK.

It was never advertised as a limited time promotion price from what I saw, and £525 is nearly $689 at current exchange rates so not as though it's cheap compared to the states

Last edited:
Yeh converts to about £560 in the UK including delivery so not quite as good but not too bad. Question is how quickly will it be discounted back to ~£525 after launch, can't see Black Friday deals on something that new can you?

MRTV have done another G2 through the lens comparison video, this time using a car sim (PC2)

Slightly worryingly he says (just after the 6 minute mark) that from Friday 31st (tomorrow!) the price for the European pre-orders is going up to 699Eur from 599Eur, so I assume the UK and US etc will be the same? hmmm
Please note the screenshots are made with super sampling (pixel density) set to 100%. So the left picture is worse than it needs to be (who is running a Rift at 100%?), but then again, the right picture can be increased to above 100% too...

I think you are right.
That would be a typical M$ move.
Was looking forward to this Flight sim but now afraid it will be a 'Forza' flight sim.

Have nothing against a new tire 2 WMR.
Actual think it is a good idea if there are some real issues with WMR 1 holding new headsets back.
But likely just "made up' issues to sell new headsets.

We badly need good VR in Linux so gaming could progress to a platform dedicated to users performance and not to shareholders performance.

Please note the screenshots are made with super sampling (pixel density) set to 100%. So the left picture is worse than it needs to be (who is running a Rift at 100%?), but then again, the right picture can be increased to above 100% too...

If you can use the RTX feature VRSS, the image will look much sharper with the Index vs. 100% with no SS and likely with other headsets as well.

That doesn't mean the Index or others have the detail of a G2, but just like you said, the A/B comparison wouldn't be quite as obvious.

Also keep in mind that his YouTube video is highly compressed and that the G2 with a lot more detail will be hurt more than the lower resolution headsets. If you have a 4K TV to watch this video, you will likely see more data. The only time the image you see is likely to be closer to what you actually see is when he pauses the image and stays in place. In those instances the video compression algorithms will back fill more detail.

• Deleted member 197115

First - Tyriel got his G2

Second - accordingly to this post, at least Australia expecting first shipment end of October - November, considering that it's global launch it should be about the same across the globe.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.