Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
In Dirt Rally I'm CPU single core limited all the way!
However I'm not CPU limited in iRacing. I can adjust the graphics settings to use as much of my GPU bandwidth as I want depending on how many fps I want or how much detail I want. Not sure how they've done it, but the only time iRacing shows any single core limitation is when it is first loading the content. Once everything is loaded I rarely see any core over 60%. But I do see a lot of cores between 40-60%.

However I agree with you that VR works well right now and in iRacing a 1080Ti or even 1080 will run a Rift S reasonably well at 80fps. I'd say a 1080Ti for an Index. at 90 fps.

This suggests that we can enable this feature by flipping this switch giving Series 20 users center weighted sharpening.

However this switch isn't available for anything but the specific games they have listed :(

VRVRSS.jpg

T
It's possible to enable it for any game with Nvidia Inspector (via Reddit)

Thank you!!!!

Yesterday, I was thinking things looked OK after I installed the new driver, but I didn't notice anything special.

I just enabled this for In Death and for Space Pirate Trainer and it was very noticeable. This seems to greatly help with any AA issues, so there are less jaggies. In Space Pirate Trainer where I was running 120 fps with 140% SS and VRSS ON, I was very impressed. Smooth, clean and sharp as a tac ! Very nice!

My 20 series card is finally doing something "special"!!!!
To be fair there is some ray tracing that I can see playing In Death mostly in the dark rooms.

I've never seen Video Inspector before. Hmm...

Launch Nvidia Inspector > Click on right button "Driver Version"
look for your game, select it and edit "0x00D5E9C6" set to 0x000001 & " 0x00D5E9C7 " set to 0x000002
click Apply to save

Edit: I have this working in iRacing now.

It did NOT give me a big performance increase, but I dropped my SS down from 140% to 100% and it is still crystal clear in the center of the screen.

Right now at Charlotte which is a new higher render load iRacing track that is pretty demanding, I'm getting about 80-83% GPU at 120 fps.

Given that ACC uses unreal engine like In Death does, they may actually benefit from this a lot.

Last edited:
Through my job I am fortunate to have had the ability to try the index and pimax 5k plus back to back in a sim racing context. Must say that for sim racing, the pimax is much better. We were having some tracking issues but that was due to the use of an i5 processor (4690k) that even when OCed to 4.0GHz it still was core limited. With a ryzen 3600 and an rtx2070 super, it is an amazing experience. The wide fov it provides and the clarity of text it is a huge step up. Honestly, for sims, it is definitely the best option. If i upgraded my rift it would be to a Pimax.

This VRSS is slick stuff. When I first tried it out in iRacing I thought everything looked good, but I wasn't oohing and ahhing about it.

Now the I've gone back to VRSS off and SS back up to 140%, there was a night and day difference, mostly in the anti-aliasing department. The electric gauges in my M8 GTE, the fences at Silverstone, even the barriers look much smoother with VRSS.

Sometimes when things look better you just don't think much about them, but when they get worse, you really notice it.

The bad news is that at least for iRacing is there is not only NOT a performance improvement, there is a performance deficit, but it does look really nice.

@Miguel Batista Do you have a 2080Ti handy to try out VRSS with? I can read the fine print on the dash ,with my Index now :)

Last edited:
Strange isn't it. I've sold all my headsets except one.: Rift, Odyssey, Pimax and Index. The reason:. My Reverb visually blows them out of the water by a big margin (for a 100% SIM user)

I've come to the conclusion that 2 people can see very different things using the exact same headset. Whether that's down to our eyes, brains, expectations I don't know....

Last edited:
Strange isn't it. I've sold all my headsets except one.: Rift, Odyssey, Pimax and Index. The reason:. My Reverb visually blows them out of the water by a big margin (for a 100% SIM user)

I've come to the conclusion that 2 people can see very different things using the exact same headset. Whether that's down to our eyes, brains, expectations I don't know....

The Reverb has great resolution and more people seem to love it these days, but it's WMR controllers are a complete deal breaker for me, both the ergonomics and poor tracking would be extremely frustrating for me.

I'm not worried about the state of VR headsets these days. I'm very happy with my Index, BUT these headsets are all disposable and will all be considered dated in another year or two.

But I agree with you about what people see. For room scale games having a higher frame rate was an immediately obvious thing that gave me a huge advantage when aiming weapons. However in other applications it is less noticeable. You can get sensitized to a lot of things once you have them, or just write features off because they are not important to you.

This VRSS is slick stuff. When I first tried it out in iRacing I thought everything looked good, but I wasn't oohing and ahhing about it.

Now the I've gone back to VRSS off and SS back up to 140%, there was a night and day difference, mostly in the anti-aliasing department. The electric gauges in my M8 GTE, the fences at Silverstone, even the barriers look much smoother with VRSS.

Sometimes when things look better you just don't think much about them, but when they get worse, you really notice it.

The bad news is that at least for iRacing is there is not only NOT a performance improvement, there is a performance deficit, but it does look really nice.

@Miguel Batista Do you have a 2080Ti handy to try out VRSS with? I can read the fine print on the dash ,with my Index now :)
No. 2080 is the best we got. I can read well enough (in PCARS PRO) and colour representation is much better on the Index (those blacks...) but the Pimax FOV and Visual clarity (more resolution per eye) is amazing. For stand up games like Boneworks or Killing floor, the Index is better imho. But for sim racing the Pimax was the one that made me "ohhhh and ahhhh". The Index felt like a Rift 2.0 and the Pimax felt like a whole new level of immersion. Also, people seem to get less motion sickness on the Pimax for some reason. I want to try it out further to see if this sticks.

A brief overview (writing a more extensive one) is that the Index wins on colour, soung and comfort whereas the Pimax wins on Resolution and immersion and is overall the better platform for sim racing. Project Cars pro still has a lot of artifacts with reflections which is a shame. with high reflections you can see the reflection of trackside objects in other car's bodywork but the reflection on metalic objects creates shimmering artifacts which should not be there. Maybe trying to increase MSAA from medium to high will help though I doubt it.

• Deleted member 197115

Add adjustable IPD and it's a no-brainer for sim use.
There were some rumors on next Reveb refresh.
Hope Samsung will release something along that resolution spec.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. 2080 is the best we got. I can read well enough (in PCARS PRO) and colour representation is much better on the Index (those blacks...) but the Pimax FOV and Visual clarity (more resolution per eye) is amazing. For stand up games like Boneworks or Killing floor, the Index is better imho. But for sim racing the Pimax was the one that made me "ohhhh and ahhhh". The Index felt like a Rift 2.0 and the Pimax felt like a whole new level of immersion. Also, people seem to get less motion sickness on the Pimax for some reason. I want to try it out further to see if this sticks.

A brief overview (writing a more extensive one) is that the Index wins on colour, soung and comfort whereas the Pimax wins on Resolution and immersion and is overall the better platform for sim racing. Project Cars pro still has a lot of artifacts with reflections which is a shame. with high reflections you can see the reflection of trackside objects in other car's bodywork but the reflection on metalic objects creates shimmering artifacts which should not be there. Maybe trying to increase MSAA from medium to high will help though I doubt it.

I'm going to suggest that you try turning on VRSS on that 2080 for Project Cars Pro manually using the tool linked to above. It may help a lot with those shimmering artifacts. I was amazed at how much less aliasing I'm seeing on the dash and fences etc.. That looks like shimmering to me. The shimmering seems to mostly go away with VRSS. It really shocked me when I turned VRSS off and went ewwww.... It's amazing what you consider good until you see something better, and it's amazing that you sometimes don't notice an improvement until you take it away.

I suspect it will make any headset you are using look better. I'd be curious if the Pimax looks even more impressive to you and if it gets rid of that shimmering.

I need to turn this on for No Limits 2. The shadow shimmering on that was horrible, the rest looked really good, but the shadows were very distracting.

Last edited:

Launch Nvidia Inspector > Click on right button "Driver Version"
look for your game, select it and edit "0x00D5E9C6" set to 0x000001 & " 0x00D5E9C7 " set to 0x000002
click Apply to save

I can't seem to find these for AC?

• Deleted member 197115

Just checked Tyriel video, comments from users suggest that result does not look like supersampling as resolution details does not increase, more like better antialiasing.
Plus a bit surprised that Nvidia can control VR supersampling that traditionally has been handled by individual HMD drivers.
In general it's like Foveated rendering backward, instead of dropping resolution around center, it bumps middle. Does it expect for user to lower overall SS for this to work, obviously if I am already taxing my GPU near 100%, that power for extra work must be coming from somewhere.

Just checked Tyriel video, comments from users suggest that result does not look like supersampling as resolution details does not increase, more like better antialiasing.
Plus a bit surprised that Nvidia can control VR supersampling that traditionally has been handled by individual HMD drivers.
In general it's like Foveated rendering backward, instead of dropping resolution around center, it bumps middle. Does it expect for user to lower overall SS for this to work, obviously if I am already taxing my GPU near 100%, that power for extra work must be coming from somewhere.

It appears that enabling VRSS disables SS. I tried turning my SS down to 100% and up to 500% with VRSS turned on and there was no change in GPU load.

And yes this is a lot more than SS going on. Everything looks sharper but MUCH better in terms of aliasing artifacts.

They did a good job with it. It looks better all around.

Once you edit that setting that enables a custom application to run VRSS, the option will start to show up normally in the NVidia 3D settings.

I can't seem to find these for AC?

You have to add AC to the NVidia 3D setting Application List.
Then you go in with the Nvidia Inspector you can download from the link below.

Then you select the new setting you added to the NVidia 3D setting application list,
and modify the two items below to be 1 and 2. And apply settings.
settingVRSS.jpg

The next time you bring up the app, it will use VRSS.
And at some point when you go back to the NVidia 3D setting list and select AC, you will see VRSS as the last setting on the list.

Oh and FWIW a lot of guys with high end rigs are going with the Reverb because it "appears" to handle the EMI from large actuators without needing all the shielding an Index does, and because they can see their brake markers sooner.

• Deleted member 197115

From comments on reddit sounds like VRSS requires game using forward rendering and MSAA.
AC should work, ACC - nope, neither R3E - DX9.
VRSS is supported by the driver--no game integration required--and can be applied to DX11 VR games or application that have forward renderers and support MSAA

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 79 28.8%
  • More leagues

Votes: 55 20.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 60 21.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 18 6.6%