Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
They specifically said that they added the feature to a list of games and would roll out more later. I don't know why they would specify that if it was enabled across the board.

Driver level implies that you set in in the Nvidia control panel and it applies to every game. Some might not work but if there is a 'list' of games, driver level is pretty misleading.

@kunos Hopefully you guys are able to work with nvidia and it's not too much effort to enable VRSS for older AC. A lot of with Turing cards have GPU overhead available in VR so this would be great to maximize performance.

Might as well update here. So I've been using the 120hz option on the Pimax 5k+ for sim racing since it was introduced. Running at Large FoV, which gets reduced with 120hz so more like the normal fov of the Pimax. This is still notably greater than other headsets but I do lose some peripheral vision for sure.

The 120hz does smooth things out a bit but it's not a night and day jump over 90hz. Maybe I'm not overly sensitive to frame rate? The added smoothness is nice.

The reduced fov also reduces edge distortion on the Pimax thus the overall PQ is nice and clean everywhere. I notice no additional performance hit as I think the budget simply shifted from FoV to FPS.

There is a new version of PiTools that is suppose to improve the IQ a bit more so will update after I have time to play with it.

You mean other than that burning crater at the bottom of your wallet...?

Neat.

Yeah... That..

I just tried out Space Pirate Trainers and In Death at 144 fps with 140% SS with all in game graphics settings all the way up. My 2080Ti was hitting in the 70-90% range. Everything looked good. I typically need to drop In Death down to 120 fps for the later levels, but I didn't take the time to get there. In both cases none of the CPU cores were above 60%.

I didn't see any night and day improvement. I suspect it's pretty subtle. I may play with the NVidia 3D settings for VR at bit.

With regard to frame rate, I've found two positive effects. It seems to be less fatiguing after a long time at a higher fps and in shooting games aiming works better because you can track a target better and time your release better. When your target and aiming hand are moving together that extra smoothness can make a big difference.

Thanks for the thoughts Rob. I found the same. Anything over 90 isn't really that noticeable. On a screen it is absolutely noticeable. I guess it also depends on the content you're running. I found the biggest change was in the way the opponent cars moved around you as they are the fastest moving objects. Everything else is kind of slow and smooth looking in the cockpit even though we reach high speeds.

Thanks for the thoughts Rob. I found the same. Anything over 90 isn't really that noticeable. On a screen it is absolutely noticeable. I guess it also depends on the content you're running. I found the biggest change was in the way the opponent cars moved around you as they are the fastest moving objects. Everything else is kind of slow and smooth looking in the cockpit even though we reach high speeds.

Now that I can run 120 fps on ALL tracks in iRacing I'm happier, because once you get used to 120 fps, 90 fps feels off.

I can run 144 fps for some titles, but I tend to leave my settings at 120 fps because it works everywhere.

I believe the SteamVR reprojection is improving because I can run Dirt Rally at 120 fps and it actually looks OK. I turned off reprojection in my other titles. If I lose a frame at 120 fps, it's not a big deal. I'm surprised that Dirt Rally 2.0 plays as well as it does because one of my cores is running 95-100% the whole time.

For the framerate junkies, Pimax now has a 180hz option.

What is the Pimax headset display's physical limitations with persistence. My understanding was the the Index used a very low latency display that was cutting edge and the first that could actually handle a "real" 120 and 144 fps.

Not throwing darts, just very curious how the Pimax's older display is actually capable of displaying this.
Edit: Never mind, I see there is a new headset for $1300 but it hasn't actually shipped yet.

Wow I was just running 144 fps with no reprojection learning Silverstone and my GPU was only around 60% with 140% SS. Very nice! That's without a full grid of cars, so I'll probably want to run 120 fps in races.

What is the Pimax headset display's physical limitations with persistence. My understanding was the the Index used a very low latency display that was cutting edge and the first that could actually handle a "real" 120 and 144 fps.

Not throwing darts, just very curious how the Pimax's older display is actually capable of displaying this.
Edit: Never mind, I see there is a new headset for $1300 but it hasn't actually shipped yet.

The $1300 is the 8KX which is 4k per eye. The 180hz is the 5k+ Super.

To get the information you need, you'd need someone to break down the diff units and run them through a series of test.

OK, If / when this lands, we may have something that can actually run a higher resolution Wide FOV headset.

However the comment is that we will likely see a real 20-30% increase in performance and 50% may only be for RayTracing. Also any bets on whether it is officially announced this summer and released next Fall ?

The only bet I'd be placing is that Nvidia will give you as little as possible while taking as much as they think they can. Which is a lot. Our only hope for escaping this $1000+ 30% upgrade cycle is if AMD actually shows up with something. 30%, trickled down the now endless segments of cards is so boring it makes me not want to upgrade at all.

I won't upgrade again until I decide to replace my headset again. I don't see the point.

SteamVR has improved a lot since last summer. Everything just works beautifully. I'm finding I have more GPU headroom.

The Index has proven to be reliable extremely comfortable and I can't see upgrading until there is a very significant upgrade which may be another couple years out.

I am still waiting for its development, the price of production and some other interests have to be arround ...

To me is like the electric cars or clean energies...many interests to not been developed before
BUT of course we sometime, i hope soon, we will have VR on its full development , confortable and safe for our eyes and will be a great experience, much better than the one we have with monitors!

Let me dream!

BUT of course we sometime, i hope soon, we will have VR on its full development , confortable and safe for our eyes and will be a great experience, much better than the one we have with monitors!

Let me dream!
Wake up, the future you dream about is already here:)

First I find current VR headsets are very good and I use a 2 year old one.
The progress in the SteamVR software the last 2 years has been tremendous!
Just we hear and make more noise when there are negative issues.;)

And no really any need for RTX 3080ti or even a RTX 2080ti for anything but the high end PiMax units.
But people will buy anyway for a slightly higher graphics setting they do not even notice.

In VR you are always limited by the CPU in current racing sims as they do not take much advantage of more than 4 cores.
Dream about better programmed Race sims. But that will be a long sleep!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.