Is there any reason to not get an OSW right now?

Hey all,

Bit of a dilemma, my g27 is starting to make some strange noises. I want to replace it with a DD wheel, and the plan was always to get an OSW. However I now know that Fanatec are in the process of creating a DD wheel, with a planned release date sometime during the summer.

Now, when reading up on the Fanatec announcements pages, they say that off the shelf motors, such as the Mige motors, are not suitable for direct drive applications, and Fanatecs offering will "successfully eliminate all torque ripple". Is this true, or is this just marketing jargon aimed at putting users off other brands?

If these really are real issues with the current DD range on offer, I may wait to see how much the Fanatec base costs , but if not I may upgrade sooner.

Thanks
Dan

I have two identical DD setups both with Small Mige and Simucube... Couldn't be happier with them.. I really liked the DIY aspect though - assembly, soldering etc so YMMV. But as far as Mige motors not being suitable.. bollocks... does the job perfectly for me! Sounds like fanatec marketing jargon to me!

Upvote 0
I moved from a G27 to OSW just after Xmas and the difference is night and day:thumbsup:. Do it, you won't be disappointed. Bought mine through Jed at Simtechracing, great to deal with, once I connected it I rang him and he went through the set up and calibration bits with the Sim Cube.

Upvote 0
I have no idea if the Fanatec DD wheel will be better than the OSW. If you want to compare the OSW to the Fanatec DD wheel, you will have to wait until the Fanatec is released and their are some reviews and comparisons.

However, there are lots of OSW owners, including myself, who are very very happy with their DD wheels and would not agree with Fanatec's statement that OSW wheels, "are not suitable for direct drive applications." And I've never heard anyone mention "torque ripple" whatever that might be.

And in the 16 months I've had my OSW it has never developed a fault once. I cannot say the same for the Fanatec wheel I had before hand, which in the two years I had it went back to the workshop more than once, was eventually replaced under warranty and then the PCB on the replacement was also replaced under warranty.

I am UK based and got my Small Mige OSW as an assembled "plug 'n' play" kit from simracingbay. Received excellent service.

An important factor is the firmware that controls the motor and applies the FFB. In my view, the new SimuCUBE firmware for the OSW wheels is a big improvement over the old Mmos firmware (which itself was very good.) With SimuCUBE firmware the FFB is so much smoother and more detailed. And I only have the old 40,000 cpr encoder, not the new standard 2.1 million cpr encoder. If you haven't visited the SimuCUBE firmware forums, have a look here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd expect the Fanatec DD to be a direct competitor to the Accuforce. So the performance will be around there. For price I have a feeling they'll price it around 1400-1500 Euro. They are going after the high-end enthusiasts so it won't be cheap and they have already captive audience they can market too. The guys that invest in high-end DD wheels have even more invested in their premium rigs, custom wheel button boxes, pedals, transducers, etc.

Upvote 0
Nobody can tell now, how good/bad the Fanatec DD will be.
I´m a proud owner of a Simucube DD system (Small MIGE, Sincos encoder), purchased at Simracingbay and I´m very happy. Coming from a Fanatec GT3RS (that i used for 7years) the difference is night and day. The DD is super smooth, quiet and much more detailed in FFB. I don´t have any issues ("torque ripple") with the Simucube, the actual setup was also easy (read the instructions, follow the procedure and everything works within a few minutes)
One of the reasons for choosing the Simucube, is the fact that in case something goes kaputt, i can simply replace the broken part on my own with readyly available parts.
Pricewise it was a hefty investment, but i doubt the Fanatec DD will be cheaper in the end.

Upvote 0
What's the problem with the Accuforce DD wheel?? I'M reading stuff like hybrid system and all that?? Its the wheel i want because they have a good software and you have everything needed to play. DOenst with the OSW, you need a wheel, a quick release system and alots of other thing you might not think!!! With the Accuforce, your ready to race.

Upvote 0
What's the problem with the Accuforce DD wheel?? I'M reading stuff like hybrid system and all that?? Its the wheel i want because they have a good software and you have everything needed to play. DOenst with the OSW, you need a wheel, a quick release system and alots of other thing you might not think!!! With the Accuforce, your ready to race.

You don't need a quick release system, unless you want to use multiple rims. I have one rim bolted directly to my OSW shaft.

Upvote 0
I got a small Mige setup from Simracingbay last week, just waiting on my Fanatec wheel adapter to arrive before I can use it. Coming from a G27, I am expecting a HUGE difference.

Upvote 0
You don't need a quick release system, unless you want to use multiple rims. I have one rim bolted directly to my OSW shaft.

ok but does the wheel come with OSW package?? Think not??? Its why i want a accuforce because you have everything you need in the package but reading review of it, i'm just not sure if i will do it. But i said to myself, if i never try an OSW wheel, i will dont know what i miss and i cant Beleive the accuforce isnt an upgrade over a csw v2 ?!

Upvote 0
Which US vendor do you folks use in the US?

Can somebody describe what software components are involved, and who is actually programming each one?

Upvote 0
The addiction started 11 years ago and could only be satisfied with stronger and better gear over time: Logitech Momo - Logitech G25 - Fanatec GT3 RS - Thrustmaster T500 - OSW SimuCUBE small Mige.
Guess which is the only one still alive. I would not be surprised if the Mige is still going in another 11 years.
I would be surprised if the SimuCUBE / electronics parts are still alive, as we all know how electronics can die for seemingly no reason.

Better than Fanatec's DD? As has been said, who knows!
Although with the amount of vocal unhappy customers and that laughable marketing BS about Mige motors unsuitability for a DD wheel (according to only Fanatec) I wouldn't be be spending much time making my decision.

Upvote 0
I have high hopes and interest for the Fanatec Podium series....

Mainly because Fanatec will be
  • Cordless
  • Has its own wheel tuning menu
  • Will have developers and titles supporting it directly
  • No reason to suspect it should be any less reliable, completely different to past wheels they have made

I expect we will see/learn more of it soon, its been quite a while now since it was shown.

Upvote 0
I have high hopes and interest for the Fanatec Podium series....

Mainly because Fanatec will be
  • Cordless
  • Has its own wheel tuning menu
  • Will have developers and titles supporting it directly
  • No reason to suspect it should be any less reliable, completely different to past wheels they have made

I expect we will see/learn more of it soon, its been quite a while now since it was shown.

• Cordless: not an issue. also real cars have a cord.
  • Has its own wheel tuning menu: what for?
  • Will have developers and titles supporting it directly: yes, we have seen in the past how perfectly that worked out. How long did it take for GT-Sport to get the CSL-Support? 6 months... That's a pretty damn good relationship between fanatec and game develpers
  • No reason to suspect it should be any less reliable, completely different to past wheels they have made: Oh, I do. Event the pcb's on fantec's pedals and hanbrakes will fail after a year. At least on mine. So I would imagine, the podium will not be much different in quality than what we are used from fanatec.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back