Is there any reason to not get an OSW right now?

Hey all,

Bit of a dilemma, my g27 is starting to make some strange noises. I want to replace it with a DD wheel, and the plan was always to get an OSW. However I now know that Fanatec are in the process of creating a DD wheel, with a planned release date sometime during the summer.

Now, when reading up on the Fanatec announcements pages, they say that off the shelf motors, such as the Mige motors, are not suitable for direct drive applications, and Fanatecs offering will "successfully eliminate all torque ripple". Is this true, or is this just marketing jargon aimed at putting users off other brands?

If these really are real issues with the current DD range on offer, I may wait to see how much the Fanatec base costs , but if not I may upgrade sooner.

Thanks
Dan

A few questions for folks familiar with the Clubsport V3 as well as OSW wheels:

• How valuable is the vibration (rumble) in the Fanatec wheels? Does it add anything?
  • Is it no longer needed in MiGE driven wheels because of higher resolution?
  • Is it easy to incorporate in games, is it easy to tune, is it widely supported by games?
  • Could you achieve the same effect by adding a small buttkicker to you wheel mount plate?
Off topic (sorry), but maybe slightly related:

• How valuable is the rumble in the Clubsport V3 pedals?
  • I read it tells you when brakes lock or when ABS kicks in?
  • Does anyone even use that, I mean it's actually cheating right?
  • Can you achieve the same with buttkickers on the pedals?
Looking into getting an OSW small MiGE with the HE Ultimate pedals, but wondering if the Fanatec Podium series with haptic feedback is worth waiting for, solely due to this addition...

Cheers!

Upvote 0
- I like the vibration in Fanatec wheels, it adds the immersion
- there was no difference for me if used with CSW or OSW - still like it
- there are two main apps supporting it out of native fanatec software - Fanaleds and SLIMax Manager, Fanaleds totally free, when SLIMax manager recognise Fanatec wheel as well. There is a minor setup needed for some simracing games for Fanaleds, but nothing major
- haven't seen "small" buttkicker attached to steering wheel and not sure it is worth the hassle

- did have V3 pedals, now HE Ultimate - don't miss vibration at all
- never use it for feeling when to break

who knows about Podium :) we will have to wait and see..

Upvote 0
CXC Simulations has used a BK Mini on their rigs "Steering Wheel Supports" but I dont know how they use it, if it is via telemetry based tactile effect or "engine" from audio-tactile.

Not ever seen anyone with a good DD wheel experiment or do a thread on this.
Yet both are possible.

Its possible some effects from SSW could work well, like braking deceleration and acceleration, or these mixed and combined with engine audio-tactile.

I can generate a rather insane level of tactile energy force under braking with multiple of the bigger BK units using below 10Hz and custom made .wav effects for SSW.

I think if doing such for a wheel deck, we have to limit what effects are being used and have them tailored to suit. Here more control is possible with SSW than with say Simvibe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How valuable is the vibration (rumble) in the Fanatec wheels? Does it add anything?

For wheelspin from a standing start, it's a very nice effect in pCARS 2 when dialed in and okay in AC, where it feels a bit coarse. If you have the wheel without the pedals, you can also configure the wheel to vibrate for ABS... the effect was not pleasing and I have it turned off.

Upvote 0
I read that differently, to me he was stating current units on the market were not designed specifically for Sim racing. Also the demands on them are different to that of a sim steering wheel. So their philosophy is to design a unit that is DD based but made specifically for a sim steering wheel purposes and one that can bring benefits of finesse or power deliver combined with integrated software, stronger developer involvement and unique collaborations with car manufacturers for new rims.

They have to be designing and investing heavily towards the longterm future of the company. So its a very big but important step the company is taking. I don't get it where you guys think it is beyond possible they can deliver a good product and bring something new or exciting to the community.

Part of me questions the name "Podium" yet only 2 products so far have been announced. They seem to be targeting professional users or those that demand the best and semi-pro consumers. So it seems apparent this technology can be scaled down in performance/power etc.

Maybe its just my own thinking here, but if they invest heavily into this new technology then its possible all their wheels in the future would use this. Or certainly, having 3 product ranges (Podium) and the 3rd potentially coming later replacing the Clubsport V2.5 when they have ceased production and cleared stocks of it.

Yet with the "Podium" series they will maintain cross-compatibility with all the rims/ accessories they develop.

You guys can get defensive all you want and play it down but for me, Im very eager and hopeful that what they bring is of a high quality, brings new features, benefits and turns out to be excellent product(s) to consider. Time will tell but each product has to be treated on its own merits, of features, price, reliability and performance.

Nothing any of you speculate or doubt will change the interest of those waiting to see or at least learn more about these new wheels. Even if you are correct on points you make, some will determine for themselves when more is known and based on the true facts or situation.

I personally would rather see Fanatec succeed than fail.
Why are you turning it into people wanting them to fail?!

That’s not what anyone is saying at all, the consensus is don’t buy into the hype because you’ll just end up disappointed and to be honest that is true of anything. These days I much prefer going in care free and then being blown away.

You are right, nobody has any info on it at all so we can only go off of what has been said/shown and past performance. None of their Clubsport line has been without issues and needed revisions so it is wise to be cautious and sceptical that V1 like previous will have some issues.

If you listen to what Thomas has said it was very clear he said they are overengineered beyond what sim racing needed. Which is true but trying to make that sound like a negative when actually for most it’s a major positive; knowing I’d have to really try to break it rather than wondering if it will break in normal use, I don’t mind paying a bit extra for that when it’s already a lot of money.

Honestly the **** that broke on mine was insulting considering the wheel + base cost the best part of £900 and being generous it would have cost them max £20 more if they weren’t cost cutting on parts that are already cheap!

Literally my only concern is reliability, actual performance, the simple fact is any of the DD wheels in this segment are good enough for it not to really matter, each will have a unique hook but generally speaking they can all be tuned to feel similar. Oh actually I’m intrigued to see if legacy support of old wheels compromises the sturdiness of the new QR system as the real world ones you can attach to DD wheels are a real class above the current system.

More DD wheels on the market benefits everyone though and maybe we will see devs go back to the the drawing board on game side FFB with wheels getting better and better as the current one is pretty primitive.

My issue with what you are saying is talking like other companies just sit around twiddling their thumbs not developing anything new, the difference is they just don’t really market it.

Take SimXperience for example, from private forum discussions Berney has said they have prototyped more powerful Accuforce wheels but are sticking with the current 13Nm as they feel it’s enough for now and have the GS-5 G-seat currently in beta among things we know about. It’s also the only DD wheel which works on Forza 7 because they worked with the T10 devs and now it’s supported by Windows 10. Really all the big players in PC sim racing have very good support of all DD wheels.

Now the way I see it there are two choices, get an OSW now if it already does everything you want and you won’t be disappointed or wait to see if the Fanatec is as good because you like the ecosystem and want to stick with it. The only known quantity is the OSW is nigh on bulletproof but the Fanatec will remain an unknown until it’s been out in the wild for a while.

I just think if it was that much better they would have released some more info on it or at least targeted performance, literally anything. I even asked if I should wait for the Fanatec DD or get the Accuforce V2 in the Black Friday sale as it was a great price but didn’t want to get it if the Fanatec was going to be incredible and it was ignored multiple times, which says it all, not even a “it will be worth the wait” when I already had the full suite of Fanatec gear, that’s my take away anyway.

Switching to other stuff though has been an eye opener in terms of how much better it’s built, the Accuforce was only a £100 more after shipping, tax etc. than the same V2.5/universal hub package which shows how much more this podium wheel will be and when I evaluated it, looked like the best choice.

• How valuable is the vibration (rumble) in the Fanatec wheels? Does it add anything?
  • Is it easy to incorporate in games, is it easy to tune, is it widely supported by games?
  • Could you achieve the same effect by adding a small buttkicker to you wheel mount plate?

Looking into getting an OSW small MiGE with the HE Ultimate pedals, but wondering if the Fanatec Podium series with haptic feedback is worth waiting for, solely due to this addition...

Cheers!
You want the ABS feel in the chassis not the wheel as far as I’m concerned since that’s where it is in a real car, my vote will always be for the Buttkicker.

A DD wheel can itself also do tactile vibration much better than the little rumble motors in the wheel. How useful it is also depends how strong your normal FFB is, the higher the less you’ll even notice it. As to the pedals vibration motors are only properly supported 100% in PCars and sort of in Raceroom, I pretty much only set it up to vibrate at 75% brake pressure so I knew how hard I was pressing though I didn’t feel it most of the time.

Which brings me to your next question get any version of the HE’s over the V3’s because they are just far superior and there is no guess work in how hard you are pressing. The V3 without the brake mod (even including damper) is just not even close.

Upvote 0
Here's my stance, on Fanatec in particular. I had a T300 with the associated pedals, and the pedals stink. The high-end $800+ pedals were all backordered and I bought a Fanatec Clubsport V1 set as a stopgap.

The impression of Fanatec was negative. There was a problem installing on Windows 7 that demanded a certain security update I already had. Fanatec knew about it and blamed it on a bad signing mechanism by Microsoft, and put another driver package, unsigned, elsewhere. They did not inform users of this possible complication in the place where you normally download their drivers. This cost me considerable time as I tried to force Windows to install and recognize that security update. This is unprofessional on Fanatec's part. The excuse with the bad signing mechanism is not convincing (they give no specifics) and they let affected users run into the open knife and waste time first, and only deliver the solution on deep-google. All so that the main download page looks "clean". I avoid "working" with companies that do software like that.

I also had the often mentioned problem that the gas pedal never reached 100% (only about 75% or so), sometimes did not go back to zero, and sometimes the clutch pedal did not go to zero either. Fanatec's FAQ says to tighten the screws, which were tight. Being an experienced buy-cheap-used person I kept my cool and only typed up a complaint to the seller 48 hours later, and during re-testing for screenshotting the pedals had changed their mind and work perfectly ever since. This isn't in the Fanatec FAQs, which again seem to be kept "clean" by corporate policy and have no help for "interesting" problems.

The Clubsport V1 pedals are superb when they work. I really like the feel. I also have the tuning kit, didn't use it yet. Tremendous lap time improvement.

I cannot tell how much that vibration force feedback on the brake pedal does. I cannot feel it when not looking for it, but it is possible that it contributed to the better braking I experience.

I am pretty much all set to buy high-end pedals at least, and probably a DD set.

Holding me back on the high end pedals:
  • I want something that can easily be changed for left and right pedal (not middle) to be the same, for helicopter simming. I wouldn't like to spend $1000+ on car only pedals. I might buy two clutch pedals and one brake pedal.
  • Clarifications on drivers. I do not spend $1000+ on hardware when I am not sure that driver support is under sufficient user control. Open Source drivers would be best. Generic chips that are documented and hence have Linux drivers are fine, too, even if Windows drivers right now are closed.

Holding me back on a DD wheel:
  • I need to estimate what kind of forces will be working on the mount. I still use a desk, and I would like to keep a flexible and compact setup. The need to for a solid stand that I can only dual-purpose with the concrete blast pit in my lab would not be good.
  • Again, drivers. One OSW vendor beta-tests what they call "open source" drivers, but I couldn't figure out exactly what that means. Just having the source code does not meet the definition of open source.
  • As you can see earlier in this thread, I was and continue to be confused about shifter options. I want static (column-fixed) paddles, and I want flexible button setups. I like rotary dials and other gizmos. Few premade things are what I need. Again, I could do it myself, but then I need to have a USB box, which is readily available, but that comes back right to drivers. No closed windows-only drivers for me please.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Cheers!
CSP v3 rumble is a gimmick. Motors are very weak, you can barely feel accelerator vibration, virtually nothing on brakes as the brake pedal assembly is much more massive to even budge.
Yes, get buttckicker (s) and simvibe. Good decision on moving to HE pedals. I initially bought CSP v3 when they just got out trying to save money. Well, in the end only lost big as I had to migrate to HE later anyway. The difference is night and day.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

@dud, SimuCube FW started as open source but was moved to closed due to piracy from Asian competitors concerns.I think the only true open source at the moment is Bernhard Berger's original direct API which nobody uses anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
@dud, SimuCube FW started as open source but was moved to closed due to piracy from Asian competitors concerns.I think the only true open source at the moment is Bernhard Berger's original direct API which nobody uses anymore.

This is what I am afraid of. It is short-sighted.

Consider me as a customer. I would have to spend $3000 or so on wheel and pedals. I have $3000. I am willing to spend it on this hobby. However:
  • I'm not gonna spend $3000 without some confidence that I'll have drivers for a long time.
  • If I decide that this hobby is very important for me I might do my own drivers, which would be open source. If that happens then everybody has wasted their time.
  • "Drivers" is relative. I can live with a closed-source software that translates between game and hardware drivers. That is replaceable. I cannot live without the hardware drivers if the hardware used is not documented enough to make your own drivers. A vendor can try to gain an advantage with better functionality for the "translation layer". Trying to keep the Chinese out by keeping the low lever hardware drivers that customers will need on new OSes is not a good way to compete.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back