iRacing Release Another Update - Season 2 Patch 3 is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing Update.jpg

Fresh of the back of Monday's iRacing update, the American developers have been at it again - deploying the Season 2 Patch 3 build earlier today...

Not content with releasing a sizeable new build update earlier this week, iRacing once again went into maintenance mode today in order to allow another new build update to deploy. Developed mainly to support the season 2 schedule of events, S2 Patch 3 still contains a few useful changes to the wider simulation itself, with several handy fixes released around some of the more complex motor management functions in relation to hybrid technology, some more visual improvements to the game UI and a few annoying bug removals around replay modes the more noticeable features of the latest change log document.

You can find the update change notes from S2 Patch 3 released earlier this week HERE.

Season 2 Patch 3 Release Notes:

Website
  • Fixed the inability to Register for a Hosted Team Session if at least one multi-car class was being used.
  • Fixed an issue with Team Registration for Hosted Sessions where occasionally the car selection for another session would be displayed.
  • Fixed an issue where some old Hosted Session Results were not being displayed.
iRacing BETA Interface
  • Fixed an issue with the Results Page.
Hybrid Power Units
  • Fixed a minor issue with the end-of-straight speed live-updater regarding the Start/Finish Line.
Clutch
  • The clutch control indicator bar is now split into two, to show how the clutch is being operated by the driver vs the computer aids and assists. This is purely a display change, there is no actual change in how the clutch operates internally.
- - The normal, thicker, dark blue bar exclusively shows the player's clutch control input.
- - Any assisted clutch operations by the various aids such as the anti-stall or automatic shifting now appears as a thinner light blue bar.
- - - This allows the driver to see what their own clutch level is at while the anti-stall aid is fully in effect on a starting grid.​
  • The new clutch values and the handbrake value have been added to the Replay interface, so you can see these controls being used while watching a replay.
  • A clutch heat model has been implemented and enabled only on the McLaren MP4-30.
Audio
  • During Replays, looping sounds should now play with the correct volume and start and end at the appropriate time.
Paint Kit
  • Two new car sponsors have been added: Racespot and V8SOnline.
- The Trading Paints logo has been updated.​

Replay
  • Fixed an issue with opponent cars having the wrong ride height and orientation during Replays. This was most noticeable with dirt cars, and they may have appeared to tilt or hop occasionally.
CARS:

Dirt Late Model
  • (ALL) – Increased tire carcass stiffness slightly.
  • (ALL) – Season setups have been updated.
McLaren MP4-30
  • A second clutch control is now available for mapping on the McLaren MP4-30, just like the real car actually had. The Simulation takes the highest clutch value from both controls and uses that to operate the clutch. This is intended for starting. For instance: while idling on the start grid, press your clutch pedal to your desired starting clutch slip position (using the newly updated clutch indicator bars), then press the second clutch all the way in (maybe mapped to a button), then engaged 1st and rev for the start, then release the second clutch and the clutch will drop to your pre-set clutch pedal position allowing you to hopefully make a more controlled launch.
  • The McLaren MP4-30 also now has a clutch heat model where overheating the clutch will cause it to lose grip capacity and start slipping until it cools down. For example, you can do two high slip 1st gear launches in a row before heat soaking, or one high slip 2nd gear launch before heat soak, but trying to do a 3rd gear or above high slip launch will not be a happy experience, as the clutch will heat soak mid-launch.
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Chevrolet SS
  • Season setups have been updated.
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Ford Fusion
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Toyota Camry
NASCAR Truck Series Chevrolet Silverado circa 2013
Pontiac Solstice
  • Fixed an issue where the helmet and visor for drivers of this car were disappearing when viewed from close-up angles.
Pro Mazda
  • Fixed an issue where the helmet and visor for drivers of this car were disappearing when viewed from close-up angles.
TRACKS:

Iowa Speedway
  • (Rallycross) - Fixed an issue with incorrectly placed pit stalls.
Williams Grove Speedway
  • Fixed an issue where vehicles on Pit Road were collidable.

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Happy with the new update? Enjoying the latest content releases from the simulation developers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Happy with the new update? Enjoying the latest content releases from the simulation developers?

In short.......NO

I went against my better judgment and decided to renew a 1-month subscription today to test the Rally X content and was pretty disappointed.
This title does 95% of things amazing but lacks in the most important feature.......the tire model!
Nicki Thim sums it up perfectly in his video.......an absolute disaster! lol
the goodness starts at the 21:40 mark

In short.......NO

I went against my better judgment and decided to renew a 1-month subscription today to test the Rally X content and was pretty disappointed.
This title does 95% of things amazing but lacks in the most important feature.......the tire model!
That's a great post... I love iRacing but this is Damning.. Why do they not listen to these guys??? Amazing! Thanks for the Video..

• Deleted member 113561

In short.......NO

Great video - clear, straight and well explained
Not the first time he says that btw. about i(ce)Racing and known for years in the community that understands something about tire model. But i(ce)Racing fanboys won't listen anyways, as usual.
(This is purely about realism, iRacing can be fun nontheless)

Actually in the tire model explanation, Dave Kaemmer does reveal he does watch and listen to videos, he was asked if he had seen the Thiim video, as well as others. Every developer has their own way of doing tires, otherwise they would all act the same and this wouldnt be discussed at all, he has a idea/vision of what it should do, just taking time, well a lot of time lol.

• Deleted member 113561

Actually in the tire model explanation, Dave Kaemmer does reveal he does watch and listen to videos, he was asked if he had seen the Thiim video, as well as others. Every developer has their own way of doing tires, otherwise they would all act the same and this wouldnt be discussed at all, he has a idea/vision of what it should do, just taking time, well a lot of time lol.
What you wanna say? That Nicki Thiim is wrong, a liar, or suddenly his PC was not OC'd enough?

The fact stands, Nicki says the tire model is **** - he says though compared to AC the chassis is great!
He must know it, he is a WEC Champion, was a Porsche Cup driver, etc. an IT guy or sim racer is nothing against that in terms of knowledge and experience.
There is still the option that he lies for marketing money, but I doubt that, he is exactly criticizing the things many other real race drivers criticize, many of us criticize about the tire model.

Great video - clear, straight and well explained
Not the first time he says that btw. about i(ce)Racing and known for years in the community that understands something about tire model. But i(ce)Racing fanboys won't listen anyways, as usual.
(This is purely about realism, iRacing can be fun nontheless)
It's important to point out that even though Nicki Thiim calls iRacing Ice Racing, there is still no other racing games that he plays more, for the reasons that everybody knows. Everybody knows iRacing's tire model is not the best. There isn't a single person in the fan base who doesn't know this. Even if they seem to be arguing "for" it. It may just be, and I'm just speculating here, that the reason it seems that they defend the tire model is because they defend the sim not for it's tire model but for other reasons, not limited to multiplayer system and overall feel of the game (which is subjective). Which is then interpreted by the person arguing against the tire model as them supporting. It's a lot easier for people to jump to assumptions based on what seems to be a persons opinion, because it takes a lot less energy and thinking power to do. The path of least resistance.

You'd be hard pressed to find people that are openly in support, specifically of the iRacing tire model as it is now. And even if you did, that demographic would be so small in regards to the larger audience of iRacing that it'd be comical for anybody to take those views as the majority. I personally don't care about the tire model as long as it's decent enough. I am more into the competition aspect and not that engrossed with the tire model weather simulators that have a lot of potential but are primarily reduced to a hotlapping game at this point.

• Deleted member 113561

It's important to point out that even though Nicki Thiim calls iRacing Ice Racing, there is still no other racing games that he plays more, for the reasons that everybody knows. Everybody knows iRacing's tire model is not the best. There isn't a single person in the fan base who doesn't know this. Even if they seem to be arguing "for" it. It may just be, and I'm just speculating here, that the reason it seems that they defend the tire model is because they defend the sim not for it's tire model but for other reasons, not limited to multiplayer system and overall feel of the game (which is subjective). Which is then interpreted by the person arguing against the tire model as them supporting. It's a lot easier for people to jump to assumptions based on what seems to be a persons opinion, because it takes a lot less energy and thinking power to do. The path of least resistance.

You'd be hard pressed to find people that are openly in support, specifically of the iRacing tire model as it is now. And even if you did, that demographic would be so small in regards to the larger audience of iRacing that it'd be comical for anybody to take those views as the majority. I personally don't care about the tire model as long as it's decent enough. I am more into the competition aspect and not that engrossed with the tire model weather simulators that have a lot of potential but are primarily reduced to a hotlapping game at this point.
I strongly disagree, I'm confident that many don't know how unrealistic the tire model and thereby a majority of the car behavior is, blinded by the marketing and the thought that what is expensive must be good.
There are several sim racers who find the iRacing cars counter intuitive and unrealistically difficult, which Nicky Thiim kinda confirmed.

I think Nicky Thiim plays iRacing because he has fun in it, which is a valid point in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you wanna say? That Nicki Thiim is wrong, a liar, or suddenly his PC was not OC'd enough?

The fact stands, Nicki says the tire model is **** - he says though compared to AC the chassis is great!
He must know it, he is a WEC Champion, was a Porsche Cup driver, etc. an IT guy or sim racer is nothing against that in terms of knowledge and experience.
There is still the option that he lies for marketing money, but I doubt that, he is exactly criticizing the things many other real race drivers criticize, many of us criticize about the tire model.
Haha calm down, you read way out of context. I was just quoting what someone else asked, if they watch or listen to pro driver feedback, the answer was yes. The other part was in opinion of other developers ideas and theories on tire model, not on what drivers say. I watch Thiims videos all the time and take what he says seriously, he is not a paid or a promoter of any sim, so his word means a lot.

As far as I know from some sport car drivers I have spoken to, most play iRacing to learn tracks since all of them are laser scanned, building up reference points, etc. On the other hand, those who do participate in races, its because there are always races going on in iRacing, during Euro time, there is never really a down time, so its easy to pick up and jump into a race and a lot of the time, the track schedules mimic real life races.

The big thing iRacing does is it splits up things in development, because there is Oval, Road and now Dirt, they have to cater to each ones model and develop each car. Where other sims dont spread themselves out so much, except for Assetto, when the developers said they had to make compromises for also developing models for road cars and race cars. I think things would be different if iRacing was mainly road racing, but Oval/Nascar is a huge part of their population.

Development seems to really be creeping along atva snails pace. I heard there was supposed to be a new gte car coming this year, zero hype about that at the moment. So probably the winter build. Day and night transition and the new tyre model also Ai all being driip fed is very frustrating. They also need to sort out the disconnection issues or else all these big showcase events are just an own goal.

It says something though when the biggest gripe is the tyre model and yet it wasn't all that long ago we had fictional circuits and blocky graphics to contend with.

Well I think some of those features were slow to come because they didnt start out with dx11, none of these things were really on the radar till they had upgraded to it, where other sims started off with dx11 and were programmed for the such features right away. It is still my main race sim for online races and competition, but I do look forward to Assetto Corsa Competizione.

It is still my main race sim for online races
So true, did a lemans series race at sebring night yesterday and it was 60 mins of total immersion, the tire model be damned. I was in a ferrari gte which meant you were 5 laps or so down to the winning lmp1 car, which in turn meant you got passed by 27 lmp1 cars 5 times. adrenalin pure and unsullied. no other racing game to my knowledge gets about 120 players online for one event just like that on a friday night. population for europe nighttime is always around or above 4,000 which is nice, because the gridding system then works perfectly. gt3 (only six different cars, most out of date) who cares? there are most always 5 or 6 grids, so competition is usually great.
did i say, tire model be damned? never sat in a race car anyway and never will, so i'll never notice what is real and what not anyway, not on my crummy office chair with an outdated g27, lol.

In short.......NO

And he still puts iRacing on #1 and AC on second, because the overall experience seems to be the best in iRacing.

There is a blog-Post where they explain the upcoming changes to the tire-model in detail. It sounds very promising…

And he still puts iRacing on #1 and AC on second, because the overall experience seems to be the best in iRacing.

There is a blog-Post where they explain the upcoming changes to the tire-model in detail. It sounds very promising…

Like I said in my post they do 95% of things amazing.
There tire model in a straight line isin't bad on tarmac and on par with most the other titles. The lateral detail and sidewall flex is where they lack and the dirt tire physics.
It's the best online experience, period which I agree if you soley race online
As an overall package for everyone.....not even close.

May I ask what you disagreed with in my comment.....my disapointment in rallyx content, they do 95% of things amazing or Nicki's entertaining description of the tire model?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back