iRacing Season 2 Patch 2 Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing New Build Release.jpg

iRacing have released patch 2 of season 2 earlier today, adding a large number of fixes, improvements and tweaks to the online only racing subscription service.

Usually pretty spectacular in size, this Season 2 Update 2 release isn't quite to the same scale as previous updates, but still pretty impressive nevertheless. Focusing on core improvements to the service as well as putting some further development time into many of the cars currently available in iRacing, this is no doubt a very solid build release that adds further quality to one of the oldest of the active titles in the current sim racing games within the marketplace.

With single player AI and day to night transitions coming later in the year, things are really looking positive for iRacing fans in recent months, and are only set to get better from here on in...

March Season 2, Build 2 Update Notes:

Championship Points
When determining whether championship points are to be awarded in the Qualify, Heat, or Consolation portions of a Heat Racing event, consult whether the Feature race has enough competitors to meet the series' minimum starters requirement for the overall event to be official, and thus eligible for points, instead of whether each of those individual sessions within the event had enough competitors to meet that requirement. This change avoids the odd situation where, for example, in a series with a 6-car minimum, Heat 1 might score championship points because it has 6 competitors, while Heat 2 might fail to score championship points because it has only 5 competitors.

Dynamic Track
  • The area of influence for aerodynamics picking up track dust has been widened, but less dust gathered in this way will be returned to the track than previously.
  • Updated the method used to calculate the water content below the track surface to better account for the influence of built-up dirt on top of the prepared surface. The result is that water is lost more readily as cars disturb the built-up dirt.
Hybrid Power Units
  • Hybrid deployment schemes now updates end-of-straight speeds to reflect how quickly your car is going. In addition, the system is now capable of marking end-of-straights even when the brakes aren't applied, which was an issue for turn 1 at Phillip Island, with the MP4-30 in particular.
Paint Shop
  • Leo Bodnar and Simsteering logos have been updated.
Camera
  • Fixed an issue where the helmet and visors for the drivers of some vehicles were disappearing at close viewing distances or angles. The vehicles affected include:
    - - Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
    - - Ford Mustang FR500S
    - - Kia Optima
    - - Lotus 79
    - - Mazda MX-5 Cup circa 2015
    - - Mazda MX-5 Roadster circa 2015
    - - Modified - SK
    - - NASCAR Nationwide Chevrolet Impala circa 2011
    - - NASCAR Sprint Cup Chevrolet Impala COT circa 2013
    - - NASCAR Truck Series Chevrolet Silverado circa 2013
    - - Radical SR8
    - - Riley MkXX Daytona Prototype
    - - SCCA Spec Racer Ford
    - - Silver Crown
    - - Sprint Car
    - - Super Late Model
    - - Williams-Toyota FW31
Video Capture
  • The latest version of the D3DGear API has been added. This fixes a conflict with Oculus Rift headsets.
Controls
  • A new switch has been added to the "app.ini" file in the [Force Feedback] section:
    - - calibUsingRawData=0 1 = Use the older raw parameters to detect input during calibration.
    - - - This may help in the rare case that a wheel is installed with a bad driver and the device can not be detected.
Telemetry
  • A new switch has been added to the "app.ini" file in the [Misc] section:
    - - irsdkAutoLogDisk=0 1 = Force disk-based telemetry logging set to "ON" every time you enter your car. WARNING: Setting this is bound to fill up your hard drive, make sure you have lots of room (Telemetry can eat a few hundred megabyte per hour)!
CARS:
Audi Quattro GTO

• Fixed an issue where this vehicle could appear to float after taking damage.
Dallara IR18
  • Oval tire wear rate has been reduced slightly and altered oval tire compound very slightly.
  • Fixed an issue with FWEP and FW angles in the garage that impacted the balance/efficiency display. This means you are no longer required to press "Apply" for the correct reading to display.
  • Sidepod collision model has been adjusted to more clearly show damage from side impacts.
  • A tiny adjustment has been made to the drafting system for this vehicle.
  • Additional downforce options have been added for Auto Club Speedway.
  • Season setups have been updated.
Dirt Late Model
  • ALL) - Adjusted opponent cars to remove tire sinkage in backpatched replays.
Dirt Midget
  • Tire carcass stiffness has been increased slightly.
  • Season setups have been updated.
Dirt Sprint Car
  • (ALL) - Maximum brake torque has been reduced slightly.
Dirt Sprint Car - Non-Winged
  • (ALL) - Maximum brake torque has been reduced slightly.
Dirt U.M.P. Modified
  • Season setups have been updated to account for increased tire carcass stiffness.
TRACKS:
Eldora Speedway

• Chain-link fences along the edge of the track should now allow dirt particles to pass through them.
The Dirt Track at Charlotte
  • The track has been updated to have more water on the inside line.
Limaland Motorsports Park
  • The track has been updated to have more water and prepared dirt on the inside line.

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Have you tried the new update yet? What are your impressions of the sim so far? Looking forward to future development of the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
With single player AI and day to night transitions coming later in the year
Personally this is what I am waiting for, especially the AI, so I can just jump into iRacing whenever I what to and race...although this will depend upon which series / cars get the AI, hopefully most of the Nascar Series as I think there needs to be a quality Oval racing Sim with AI, along with this I am waiting to see what series have AI included then I will purchase any missing content so I can make good use of the AI component.

Last edited:
Dynamic Track
  • The area of influence for aerodynamics picking up track dust has been widened, but less dust gathered in this way will be returned to the track than previously.
  • Updated the method used to calculate the water content below the track surface to better account for the influence of built-up dirt on top of the prepared surface. The result is that water is lost more readily as cars disturb the built-up dirt.

Ive been keeping my eye on the Rally X content and glad to see more work is going into it.

I had a quick go a month back on my friends rig...on tarmac the tire model felt good but on dirt under braking and sliding not so much.
Could have been his wheel settings but I couldn't feel anything under braking or any lateral friction/resistance when sliding.
Both situations felt very unnatural like the vehicle almost becomes weightless?

Ive tried all the games with rally X content and so far Pc2 rally tyre, loose surface physics, weather and content has impressed me the most but the lack of proper heats and point tracking makes the Rally x mp non exsistant.
Unless they bring an update down the road iRacing looks to be the best option for mp racing atm but until the dirt physics or tyre model gets tweaked I really dont want to open up the wallet to jump back in.

Can anyone confirm if this update to dynamic track has possibly improved my gripe I mentioned above?

Cheers

Presumably the IRL has that, right?
Also assuming that iRacing has the Motec displays accurate to the car it's in, right?
Yeah, the real car has it. The display page in iRacing is even called "HYB" but it just shows fuel usage iirc.

And the Porsche in iRacing has a working hybrid display, so it's not a technical limitation of the game engine.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back