iRacing Release Another Update - Season 2 Patch 3 is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing Update.jpg

Fresh of the back of Monday's iRacing update, the American developers have been at it again - deploying the Season 2 Patch 3 build earlier today...

Not content with releasing a sizeable new build update earlier this week, iRacing once again went into maintenance mode today in order to allow another new build update to deploy. Developed mainly to support the season 2 schedule of events, S2 Patch 3 still contains a few useful changes to the wider simulation itself, with several handy fixes released around some of the more complex motor management functions in relation to hybrid technology, some more visual improvements to the game UI and a few annoying bug removals around replay modes the more noticeable features of the latest change log document.

You can find the update change notes from S2 Patch 3 released earlier this week HERE.

Season 2 Patch 3 Release Notes:

Website
  • Fixed the inability to Register for a Hosted Team Session if at least one multi-car class was being used.
  • Fixed an issue with Team Registration for Hosted Sessions where occasionally the car selection for another session would be displayed.
  • Fixed an issue where some old Hosted Session Results were not being displayed.
iRacing BETA Interface
  • Fixed an issue with the Results Page.
Hybrid Power Units
  • Fixed a minor issue with the end-of-straight speed live-updater regarding the Start/Finish Line.
Clutch
  • The clutch control indicator bar is now split into two, to show how the clutch is being operated by the driver vs the computer aids and assists. This is purely a display change, there is no actual change in how the clutch operates internally.
- - The normal, thicker, dark blue bar exclusively shows the player's clutch control input.
- - Any assisted clutch operations by the various aids such as the anti-stall or automatic shifting now appears as a thinner light blue bar.
- - - This allows the driver to see what their own clutch level is at while the anti-stall aid is fully in effect on a starting grid.​
  • The new clutch values and the handbrake value have been added to the Replay interface, so you can see these controls being used while watching a replay.
  • A clutch heat model has been implemented and enabled only on the McLaren MP4-30.
Audio
  • During Replays, looping sounds should now play with the correct volume and start and end at the appropriate time.
Paint Kit
  • Two new car sponsors have been added: Racespot and V8SOnline.
- The Trading Paints logo has been updated.​

Replay
  • Fixed an issue with opponent cars having the wrong ride height and orientation during Replays. This was most noticeable with dirt cars, and they may have appeared to tilt or hop occasionally.
CARS:

Dirt Late Model
  • (ALL) – Increased tire carcass stiffness slightly.
  • (ALL) – Season setups have been updated.
McLaren MP4-30
  • A second clutch control is now available for mapping on the McLaren MP4-30, just like the real car actually had. The Simulation takes the highest clutch value from both controls and uses that to operate the clutch. This is intended for starting. For instance: while idling on the start grid, press your clutch pedal to your desired starting clutch slip position (using the newly updated clutch indicator bars), then press the second clutch all the way in (maybe mapped to a button), then engaged 1st and rev for the start, then release the second clutch and the clutch will drop to your pre-set clutch pedal position allowing you to hopefully make a more controlled launch.
  • The McLaren MP4-30 also now has a clutch heat model where overheating the clutch will cause it to lose grip capacity and start slipping until it cools down. For example, you can do two high slip 1st gear launches in a row before heat soaking, or one high slip 2nd gear launch before heat soak, but trying to do a 3rd gear or above high slip launch will not be a happy experience, as the clutch will heat soak mid-launch.
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Chevrolet SS
  • Season setups have been updated.
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Ford Fusion
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Toyota Camry
NASCAR Truck Series Chevrolet Silverado circa 2013
Pontiac Solstice
  • Fixed an issue where the helmet and visor for drivers of this car were disappearing when viewed from close-up angles.
Pro Mazda
  • Fixed an issue where the helmet and visor for drivers of this car were disappearing when viewed from close-up angles.
TRACKS:

Iowa Speedway
  • (Rallycross) - Fixed an issue with incorrectly placed pit stalls.
Williams Grove Speedway
  • Fixed an issue where vehicles on Pit Road were collidable.

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Happy with the new update? Enjoying the latest content releases from the simulation developers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Like I said in my post they do 95% of things amazing.
There tire model in a straight line isin't bad on tarmac and on par with most the other titles. The lateral detail is where they lack and the dirt tire physics.
It's the best online experience, period which I agree if you soley race online
As an overall package for everyone.....not even close.

May I ask what you disagreed with in my comment.....was it the, they do 95% of things amazing or Nicki's entertaining description of the tire model?
The main problem I have with the tire model is the track temps creating huge amounts of lap time difference, yes it is true, but not to this extent, and on top of that, the thing that has annoyed me is how the tires heat up so quickly or when you get sideways, cooks the tire and makes the next corner icy. Just have to have hopes in the upcoming tire model this can be alleviated a bit more.

population for Europe nighttime is always around or above 4,000 which is nice,

????
Id love to see those numbers in any sim.....currently 3pm mt = 9pm gmt on a sat. and iracing is telling me there are 900 people online with roughly 300 people currently in session.
27cd35817fad09a7392e7cac40048c85.png

https://gyazo.com/27cd35817fad09a7392e7cac40048c85

Edit: the number has increased since I posted that, but I could be mistaken but I believe that number is how many people are logged into the site as there's nowhere near that amount in the servers.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 113561

Like I said in my post they do 95% of things amazing.
There tire model in a straight line isin't bad on tarmac and on par with most the other titles. The lateral detail and sidewall flex is where they lack and the dirt tire physics.
It's the best online experience, period which I agree if you soley race online
As an overall package for everyone.....not even close.
95% amazing? What is included there?
Shitty tiremodel? Tire wear? Different tire compounds? Day/Night? Rain? Unfair price? Server instability? buginess for the price (remember features they always introduce to public builds are often quite broken at the beginning or unfinished!)?
Don't get me wrong, they do a lot of things very well, but far from amazing, especially for their prices - and for sure not 95%, that is fanboyism right there.
[Small edits]

Its more than lateral detail and sidewall flex they get wrong ... listen closely to what Nicki says.
"On par with most other titles" - that is straight out bullshit - it is in fact one of the worst in sim racing (of active titles) - actually I don't know of any worse tire model of racing sims at the moment.

"Best online experience" - that is also not true, no matter your "period" - I would agree that it provides the best plattform for public multiplayer, but league racing is still superior to that and as iRacing costs a lot (private league servers even cost extra), that makes it inferior to other titles, regarding private league racing!
Additional to that, the license system is not bad, but does not come close to private league racing when rules are enforced - look at official championships in iRacing, ie. A license etc., you see waaaaaay too many crashes, incl. such which would normally give you severe penalty.
Also another point there is, that there are no real rules, even if you intentionally ram someone and do it not blatantly, you often get away with a warning, its ridiculous, it takes a lot to get punished in iRacing, or banned.

Last edited by a moderator:
95% amazing? What is included there?
Shitty tiremodel? Tire wear? Different tire compounds? Day/Night? Rain? Fair price? Server stability? No bugs?
Don't get me wrong, they do a lot of things very well, but far from amazing, especially for their prices.

Its more than lateral detail and sidewall flex they get wrong ... listen closely to what Nicki says.
"On par with most other titles" - that is straight out bullshit - it is in fact one of the worst in sim racing (of active titles) - actually I don't know of any worse tire model of racing sims at the moment.

"Best online experience" - that is also not true, no matter your "period" - I would agree that it provides the best plattform for public multiplayer, but league racing is still superior to that and as iRacing costs a lot (private league servers even cost extra), that makes it inferior to other titles, regarding private league racing!
Additional to that, the license system is not bad, but does not come close to private league racing when rules are enforced - look at official championships in iRacing, ie. A license etc., you see waaaaaay too many crashes, incl. such which would normally give you severe penalty.
Also another point there is, that there are no real rules, even if you intentionally ram someone and do it not blatantly, you often get away with a warning, its ridiculous, it takes a lot to get punished in iRacing, or banned.

I should rephrase my 95% of things are done amazing.....to 95% of things incorporated currently in the game are done amazing :)

I agree with points, I was trying my best to be positive and not mention all the things missing and price.
All of which are really the icing on the cake for me not renewing at the end of the month until alot of those features are added or fixed.

Competitive private leagues hardly have races every two weeks and I'm sure it doesn't come as close to the variety of iRacing competitive fields available 7 days per week. Not to mention that if you like ovals, it is the only option. So for me it is the best online experience, because league racing is very limited.

• Deleted member 113561

Competitive private leagues hardly have races every two weeks and I'm sure it doesn't come as close to the variety of iRacing competitive fields available 7 days per week. Not to mention that if you like ovals, it is the only option. So for me it is the best online experience, because league racing is very limited.
I know a few leagues that do weekly races or even multiple races per week! But to be fair, there are not many out there, but if you join multiple leagues you shall have no problem whatsoever!

Depends on the league, some of the best leagues out there have a very competitive field. I think only for very big events your statement is true (24h LeMans, Daytona 500, Indy 500 and similiar) and that means only a few events per year - but often Top Split gets fracked over by some server issue *cough* and that for *cough* minimum 60 dollars per year *cough* not counting the various expensive cars / tracks you need *cough*.
[whereas AC, pC2, rF2, Automobilista and R3E complete bundle cost 100$ or less one time payment, with often more features and better tire model]

I can also tell you that league racing is NOT limited, in fact some of the leagues have more diversity and better racing as they have more control of content driven and rules enforced!

Yes for ovals I think there is nothing out there ... I kinda agree there and I personally suspect that iRacing does a very good job at ovals, with the exception of rules/punishment enforcement.
Though I actually don't know how realistic the tiremodel for oval racing is.
P.s. Project CARS 2 has something for ovals out there, but atm not as good as iRacing as there is no caution and barely any leagues have series with oval racing ... I could imagine with some effort it can be good ... but why chose pC2 for that when iRacing brings you for OVAL (not road) such a good /rounded experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
valid points, but league means commitment, which - due to real life - i can at this moment not make. I have done league racing between 2005 and 2011 and hugely enjoyed it, here at rd and in other places. i was always there and you could always depend on me to put in my laps or my share of organizing stuff. but if you cannot make the commitment to be at exactly the same time in front of your pc every week or every second week, one should not do it, it spoils the fun for those who are really committed. so, unable to do this, iRacing certainly is the next best thing to me.

In IRacing there is more freedom in racing, most league races seems to be late at night(Look at the times at RD, I have stopped racing cos I dont wanna end my day sweaty and full of adrenalin before a workday, therefore I want to race early at evening), IRacing doesnt demand Mic and that you must show up at every race, many Leagues demand this. IRacing is what most race sim titles should be in public racing because that is what IRacing basically is: best public racing which no other sim title is even close at being for the moment.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back