iRacing | New Update, New Content Including Hockenheim

The good Hockenheim or the new Hockenheim?
GP and all these variants:
ir_hochenheim.png

Historic? Propably never.

Leynad777

Premium
Germany
Although I have to say, some cars in AMS2 feel a bit too wobbly for me. Especially the V8 Supercar feels undrivable. I mean, I get that it has a LOT of power but the AI is stable whereas I am constantly fighting with the rear. Maybe I am doing something wrong but it suprises me that the V8 Supercar mod from rFactor 2 is very drivable

Super V8 tyres are wobbly...

Even Ken Block couldn't control the rear...

These cars have a spool like a kart, but with lots of bodyroll transferring more weight to the outside tyre, producing more grip and more torque on the throttle. When those cars lift over inner curbs, 100% torque goes to the outside wheel only and in tight corners it's probably often >90%, so lots of oversteer on the throttle. Open diff-cars are the opposite and always distributing a 50/50 torque-split like the SCCA or Skip Barber in iRacing or the F Trainer and Vee in AMS2. They stabilize on the throttle and (lift-off)-oversteer off throttle. If you drive karts like that, you will be awful slow and the trick is the same with the Super V8: straight-line braking, early entry to get the weight to the outside and rotate the car on the throttle through the corner.

LImited slip diffs like in GT-racing are in between and iRacing is often very open-diff like, while AMS2 has more locking (Radical SR8 vs P3 Roco for example). I thing the perfect spot would be often in between, but more locking diffs are performing better than open diffs since the diff can be still loose off throttle from the coast-diff. All the weight pushing on the squeezed outside-tyres while the inside has basically the contact patch of bicycle wheels from the camber and less distance to travel needs a more uneven torque split for the optimal rotation.

neesve

Neesve
Premium
I'm new to iracing and have been playing it for a sew weeks now. I have a license D and a safety rating of 3.3, iracing says it's enough for am upgrade to license C. When does this normally get updated? I tought it was at the beginning of the new season with started yesterday right?

Terje Helle

Premium
I'm new to iracing and have been playing it for a sew weeks now. I have a license D and a safety rating of 3.3, iracing says it's enough for am upgrade to license C. When does this normally get updated? I tought it was at the beginning of the new season with started yesterday right?
It’s week 13 now, next season starts next week.

Kurupt CDN

DirtT Tuned Motorsports
Premium
Canada
Great looking updated and excited to try the new bark river and bristol dirt layouts.

Love the dirt variety and racing in this title.

They still will not physically model the kerbs! Absolutely no point in the expensive laser scans if they don't bother using them! And they aren't faking it right either, all the data out of the sim shows they aren't using any correct physical modeling.

Shovas

Premium
On what day? It’s differ from day to day almost. Also, it has no lift off oversteer, so hopefully IRacing won’t go that way. (Love AMS2, but it isn’t there yet.)

But I do agree, the tier model could be better in IRacing. Physics are good.
I've been putting in serious time lately on Nords in rF2 and AMS2 just zen lapping and I'm using lift-off oversteer all the time?

I've been driving the prototype category, formula, usually other high grip cars, maybe that's it. I notice other cars like the GT3s and Caterhams have subpar grip information so they're not as enjoyable to drive.

Shovas

Premium
Although I have to say, some cars in AMS2 feel a bit too wobbly for me. Especially the V8 Supercar feels undrivable. I mean, I get that it has a LOT of power but the AI is stable whereas I am constantly fighting with the rear. Maybe I am doing something wrong but it suprises me that the V8 Supercar mod from rFactor 2 is very drivable

Yeah, this is a real thing. What surprised me recently was after putting in a lot of rF2 Nords laps I decided to try AMS2 on Nords and was surprised that I acclimitized to the tire model really quickly, like it's maybe 90% of the quality of the rF2 tire model.

I think the more popular cars in AMS2 (GT3s, Caterhams, etc.) have less grip and downforce so the other quirks seem exagerrated on those cars. I still don't like those cars in AMS2, yet. They're doable but not as enjoyable as something like the prototype cars.

Patrik Marek

Premium
I had a chance to get the 3 months for 5 bucks, but it went to my email I'm not too often on and now it expired :( would be cool to see the updates after being away for so long

Shovas

Premium
It is known as irenting for a reason. It may work but if you let those monthly subscriptions slip you can't even hotlap your lovely DLC.
Another way to ease your mind about it is to think of DLC payments as separate from the monthly payments. Everybody charges for DLC now but nobody except iRacing has their level of multiplayer infrastructure. So, I think of it as paying the ongoing costs of the multiplayer infrastructure.

You do lose if you stop paying for that but it feels better to think of it as paying for multiplayer infrastructure and any-time racing than as renting :)

iRacing's killer feature is its multiplayer, drop-in racing. Until other sims make this a priority, iRacing doesn't even have to be great, it just has to be good enough.

Last edited:
Another way to ease your mind about it is to think of DLC payments as separate from the monthly payments. Everybody charges for DLC now but nobody except iRacing has their level of multiplayer infrastructure. So, I think of it as paying the ongoing costs of the multiplayer infrastructure.

You do lose if you stop paying for that but it feels better to think of it as paying for multiplayer infrastructure and any-time racing than as renting :)

iRacing's killer feature is its multiplayer, drop-in racing. Until other sims make this a priority, iRacing doesn't even have to be great.
Keeping their online service at this level and updating all the content constantly is worth some money.
If you race enough you can get up to 40 dollars discount per year.
So combine that with their black friday price-cuts, brings down the price quite drastically.