Intel 12th-Gen CPUs

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Wish the price of LGA 1700 wasn't so expensive.

i5 12600k looks like fantastic price for the performance.

DDR5 sticks will come down in price probably faster than those motherboards. At moment doesn't seem to make sense to jump in while price is so high.

Just looking now 12600k + motherboard + 2 sticks of DDR5 is at minimum $1000. (while reusing current psu / gpu / and everything else.)

Comparing that to

5900x + motherboard + 2 sticks of DDR4 total $900
1636130481509.png

= 592€

1636130602675.png

= 551€

Checking purepc.pl:
12600k: 70.2/63.0 fps avg/min
5800x: 63.5/57 fps

These scores were done with DDR4 3600 CL 18-20-20-42. With DDR5 5200 CL38, the 12600k only scored 66.5/60.0 fps.

However I agree: Right now the prices for motherboards and the CPUs are too high. Wenn the 12600k comes down from its 325€ to 269€ and the entry-mid-range mobos from 200€ to 160€, it will look a lot better!

Can't make my mind up now between going with Intel and a I7-12700K or a 5900X for a new build, given the prices add up to about the same when you factor in a motherboard, I'm leaning towards Intel to future proof a bit. New discovery of VR is proving to be an expensive addition to sim racing!

Why would you buy a ddr5 with a 12600k? You're buying a budget cpu. Get decent ddr4 and enjoy. Even better if you have DDR4 you can reuse.
Agree.
The 12600k looks to be the ultimate CPU for any new build but I would not pair it with DDR5...especially now.
Those kits are at the beginning and won't offer much in the way of performance versus price over good DDR4.
Some of the saved money could be invested in a good cooling solution and you'd still be ahead of the game.

I did find a place I could get notified when an i9-12900K is in stock for $649.99
But I can't officially preorder it and lock that price in, so.... no guarantees.

Anyone do better?
I've had good luck walking into the Columbus Microcenter and buying parts. This is how I bought my 3080 and other high demand parts. I guess I am lucky to have a store like this around.

I've had good luck walking into the Columbus Microcenter and buying parts. This is how I bought my 3080 and other high demand parts. I guess I am lucky to have a store like this around.
What did you end up buying? As Ive Pre-Ordered 2x Sets of these, however still waiting for stock to arrive and the DDR5 has NO ETA
ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero, Intel Core i9 12900KF, Corsair 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 Vengeance 5200Mhz C38

I hadn't thought about that. Here is a local retailer to me.
Just no idea when/if they will have anymore in stock.
1636463912743.png

1636464067297.png

Last edited:
What did you end up buying? As Ive Pre-Ordered 2x Sets of these, however still waiting for stock to arrive and the DDR5 has NO ETA
ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero, Intel Core i9 12900KF, Corsair 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 Vengeance 5200Mhz C38
I have not purchased any Gen 12 gear yet. I was going to start by looking at the Aorus boards.

I have made an impulse purchase for a 12900k that arrived yesterday. The price seemed reasonable, so I went for it. Looks nice on my shelf but that's about it so far. I just assumed stocks will run low and perhaps some scalping of prices like GPUs. Maybe I was wrong, but figured better to have it now, rather than later.

I'm a bit unsure about my power supply though. 750w (Corsair) should be good for the 12900 and almost any GPU? What do you guys think?

I need to research motherboards though. Without ANY rational thought or research, I like the ASUS boards, but if anyone has links to good recommendations (and relatively easy to understand) on Z690 boards, please share (with thanks).

PSU is the heart of your system... don't skimp out on a cheap one. Titanium or Platinum efficiency from Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA, or BeQuiet. 1000 watt minimum to allow for GPU and future headroom.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I feared the psu issue. I have 3080ti now so I guess I should invest in a new psu as well.
This new build might stretch across a few months......

I'm thinking of staying DDR4 ram though. So considering the Asus Tuf Z690 motherboard.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I feared the psu issue. I have 3080ti now so I guess I should invest in a new psu as well.
This new build might stretch across a few months......

I'm thinking of staying DDR4 ram though. So considering the Asus Tuf Z690 motherboard.
12900k with an "expensive" Asus Board and then DDR4?
The i9 is clearly made to be "future proof", or do you really need the performance right now and will get a 13900k or 14900k already in 1-2 years?

If you want to keep the 12900k for more than 2 years, I would definitely invest in rather cheap and slow ddr5 and get some new ram in 6-18 months to boost performance quite a lot.

Right now the issue are timings and having to use gear 2, which means the ram and memory controller aren't perfectly synced.
Best performance right now is gear 1 with DDR4 at 3200 and the lowest timings you can get out of sticks that could run a lot higher MHz.
As soon as we get ddr5 6400 with good timings, it will obliterate the DDR4 performance.
Then gear 2 will have the same latency as DDR4 in gear 1 but you'll get 2x the throughput.

Last edited:
I have made an impulse purchase for a 12900k that arrived yesterday. The price seemed reasonable, so I went for it. Looks nice on my shelf but that's about it so far. I just assumed stocks will run low and perhaps some scalping of prices like GPUs. Maybe I was wrong, but figured better to have it now, rather than later.

I'm a bit unsure about my power supply though. 750w (Corsair) should be good for the 12900 and almost any GPU? What do you guys think?

I need to research motherboards though. Without ANY rational thought or research, I like the ASUS boards, but if anyone has links to good recommendations (and relatively easy to understand) on Z690 boards, please share (with thanks).
Congratulations. I would like to make this purchase as well.

More than other components inside your computer, the motherboard is more about what you like compared to performance. What do you want to look at, how much expansion are you looking for, etc..

I have my eye on an Aorus Z690 Master.

I own and like Aorus boards, I like the expandability, I like the looks, I like all the fan headers, etc..

What are you thinking about CPU cooling?

Just saw the i9-12900K pricing at the $700 mark with 2 day delivery. Getting better....
What's interesting is that 1 week delivery is $744 and 2 week delivery is $707 on Amazon.
Maybe black Friday for near list???

I like the AORUS Master as well.
Now if the DDR5 6400 MHz memory would just become available....

I like the D15 Noctua air coolers. I have 2 right now. I need to send away for the new mount.

GamingComputer_4649.jpg

Attachments

• 1636594654834.png
    1636594654834.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
12900k with an "expensive" Asus Board and then DDR4?
Understood. I do struggle with this. But every research I do about real-world impact (at least now) seems clear. I get it. Invest now vs. change later. In my mind, re-using my 32gb 3600 Ram is a good option. Of course, at the expense of the possible need to buy another motherboard later.
Congratulations. I would like to make this purchase as well.
I will be honest, it was very impulse. I try to maintain a 'hobby' fund to support things like this. I periodically empty closets and storage to sell things on the local buy/sell site. I don't worry too much about getting top dollar. Just some cashflow. All of it goes to the hobby fund, and also things like birthday/xmas money, etc. A little bit of diligence over time, and you end up with a nice fund for the hobby. No need to ask 'can i afford it?' Just check the balance, and it's either yes or no.
What are you thinking about CPU cooling?
Here, I plan to use my trusty Noctua NH-D15. I love this thing. I also like the looks of it. I painted the fans flat black, and the cooler remains metal/chrome. I like this look.

They claim in stock i9-12900KF for $612.....
Reseller ratings are mixed... Gamble ?

From what I can see if we are just a bit more patient the DDR5 memory should be flowing soon. So I'm just waiting for DDR-6400 to become available. When I can get the memory, I'll pull the trigger on the CPU and the motherboard.

I think CPU prices will start dropping soon too. They already have a bit. Amazon's $704 price tag disappeared and they stepped back up in price for now, but the trend appears to be coming down slowly.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea