Intel 12th-Gen CPUs

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
As always, wait a bit and let others beta test new hardware/software before jumping in. Tempting for people to buy now based on the initial reviews; however there are sure to be teething issues based on the number of new components being brought together (DDR5, Z690, Win11, 12th gen). That said, looks like Intel has a winner.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see its performance vs AMD with both using DDR4 (as 12th gen is backwards compatible). Would like to see how much of an impact DDR5 is having on the results, and at the same time, vs 11th and 10th gen to see how much the architecture has been built around DDR5.

1636051609336.png

Look what showed up in my Amazon list when I was looking at CPU's ....

It'll be interesting to see its performance vs AMD with both using DDR4 (as 12th gen is backwards compatible). Would like to see how much of an impact DDR5 is having on the results, and at the same time, vs 11th and 10th gen to see how much the architecture has been built around DDR5.
IMG_20211104_200348_884.jpg

German site Computerbase.de did quite some intensive benchmarking!
I used the 8700k as the 100% base mark.

It's the performance rating across multiple games, so quite a good index. However simracing only used 2-4 cpu threads so we're left without some good benchmarks as usual...
Maybe that polish site will use ACC like they did with ryzen 5000 and Intel 11th gen.

Interesting that it was faster on DDR4 than some DDR5 kits. I guess it shows latency does have some kind of effect. Not sure a 6-9% performance bump for 2x the power vs AMD is a great deal though...

Last edited:
The power draw is application dependent. Apparently it pulls less than AMD in F1 2020. There are also some unresolved issues with Microsoft Flight Sim's performance.

Interesting that it was faster on DDR4 than some DDR5 kits. I guess it shows latency does have some kind of effect. Not sure a 6-9% performance bump for 2x the power vs AMD is a great deal though...

The power draw is application dependent. Apparently it pulls less than AMD in F1 2020.
Exactly. It really depends on the scenario! While gaming, which usually doesn't involve avx instructions and isn't loading up the whole cpu to 100% the Watt per fps is identical or better on Intel 12th gen.
But when you throw some video rendering or a synthetic benchmark at it, Intel will go through the roof.

The "without limits" entries in the "performance rating" are higher because some very few testes games can use the whole CPU and then benefit from the massive power draw.
However in most games, that's not the case!

Looking at multiple benchmarks it really seems that ryzen 5000 was even or better than Intel 10th Gen in all games.
Compares to 11th gen, in some games the ryzen were better, in some games the 11th gen and in some games the 11th gen was bad and worse than 10th gen.

Now Intel 12th gen seems to be better in all games than either ryzen 5000 or Intel 11th gen, which nice to see!

The test we were all waiting for:
Purepc.pl doing it again!
All CPUs pushed to high OC, then benched ACC:

https://www.purepc.pl/test-procesor...wydajnosci-pamieci-ram-ddr4-vs-ddr5?page=0,62

10600k = 54.6/50.0 (avg/min)
11600k = 61.2/55.0
5600x = 62.2/56.0
12600k = 70.2/63.0

That's a proper boost and I'm considering the upgrade from my 10600k (which sadly is a bad overclocker so probably only 52/47 fps in comparison).

That's a proper boost and I'm considering the upgrade from my 10600k (which sadly is a bad overclocker so probably only 52/47 fps in comparison).

And if you believe Intel's current roadmap, this time next year they will begin production on Intel 4 with their 7nm process to be released in early 2023. Fingers crossed that they keep the momentum going.

My question is whether this banner year for new technologies being dropped is the right time to buy in.

We have:
  • PCIE 5.0
  • PCIE 4.0 NVMe
  • DDR5 upto 6400MHz so far
  • 6GHz WiFi 3x faster than 6GHz WiFi
  • 10Gb Ethernet
  • Windows 11 coming with potentially better multi-threading support
But
Windows 10/11 have scheduling issues to work out.
DDR5 availability is poor and MB's will support higher speeds with time.
PCIE 4.0 NVMe's haven't shown their theoretical throughput yet.
Many of these features won't actually be used by many of us for a while.

OTOH, these systems are fast now and will likely see some significant performance improvements over the coming year only making them faster. Because most of us won't be leveraging many of the new features, how well they work won't matter to us and by the time we have need of the new features, the drivers and firmware may be solid.

Early adopter-itis ??

Last edited:
I did find a place I could get notified when an i9-12900K is in stock for $649.99
But I can't officially preorder it and lock that price in, so.... no guarantees.

Anyone do better?

Last edited:
I found this, BUT a quick reseller ratings query shows that they are a scam.

I found one place in the CA Bay area that has them in stock at $649.99 for in store pickup only. 1 per customer.

But then it bounces up to $800-1000 :(

I put my name in for a notification at the reputable company that will tell me when they have inventory.

Last edited:
I found this, BUT a quick reseller ratings query shows that they are a scam.

I found one place in the CA Bay area that has them in stock at $649.99 for in store pickup only. 1 per customer.

But then it bounces up to $800-1000 :(

I put my name in for a notification at the reputable company that will tell me when they have inventory.
Crazy... Here in Germany lots of stores all have very similar prices, all available for normal orders :confused:
None of these are scam. I ordered from all of them. But as usual, more people with a not-so-great experience tend to write a review than perfectly fine order processes.

1636118864684.png

Wish the price of LGA 1700 wasn't so expensive.

i5 12600k looks like fantastic price for the performance.

DDR5 sticks will come down in price probably faster than those motherboards. At moment doesn't seem to make sense to jump in while price is so high.

Just looking now 12600k + motherboard + 2 sticks of DDR5 is at minimum $1000. (while reusing current psu / gpu / and everything else.)

Comparing that to

5900x + motherboard + 2 sticks of DDR4 total $900

Last edited:
Good in-depth review from Dr. Ian Cutres: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1704...w-hybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity

The Core i9-12900K​

Combining fast P-cores, Skylake class E-cores, and DDR5 into one package means that Intel has certainly jumped from behind the competition to in front of it, or at least in the mix. When you have your operating system set up just right, and no issues with schedulers, it outperforms AMD’s offering when single core performance matters, and in multi-threaded workloads, it does tend to sit somewhere between a 5900X and a 5950X.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea