Intel 12th-Gen CPUs

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Looks promising but for my needs I am fine for a while on my current CPU. Cpu's are like opinions, GPU's on the other hand, you either need to have a crap load of throwaway $ or just hang on whatever you currently have.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"Charlie Demerjian:"Confirmed, Intel used a known crippled version of Windows to hobble the AMD scores at the #IntelON event. Unacceptable intentionally misleading lies. Applying widely available and known patches would have fundamentally changed the results. They lied. Again. @PGelsinger"

Plus some old denuvo games might not be playable anymore since the big core, little core swapping is considered a hardware change...

But let's see, still promising!

From the article:

Prices start at $589 for the flagship Core i9-12900K (16 Cores, 8 Performance Core, 8 Efficiency Cores, 24 Threads)

From the link on Amazon. Hopefully a typo!
1635947095616.png

Last edited:
Wow DDR5 memory is actually "available" now, and MB's will be released tomorrow.
Edit: Scratch that DDR5 memory is mostly sold out :(

I may be buying a new MB, Memory and CPU.

Not sure if my Monster twin fan CPU cooler will work for this larger die size, but I've been waiting and waiting to upgrade my i7-2600K development system and it will inherit the i9-9900K in my gaming computer. Video rendering times on my desktop will drop quite a bit.

They say the single core spec of the i9-12900K is 40% faster than my 9-9900K. My 1200W PS shouldn't have any issue with the new CPU.

Not sure I'll notice any improvements on my gaming computer until I get a 40 series video card for it, but my old Desktop is actually pushing this purchase.

This spec surprised me.
The i9 only has a 4% higher turbo clock and yet pulls 20% faster single core score?

Since they have the same 125W and the ALL cores speed is 5.0GHz vs 4.7, I'll guess I'll anti up for the i9 again even though even more cores will be sleeping.

1635949871456.png

Last edited:
This spec surprised me.
The i9 only has a 4% higher turbo clock and yet pulls 20% faster single core score?

Since they have the same 125W and the ALL cores speed is 5.0GHz vs 4.7, I'll guess I'll anti up for the i9 again even though even more cores will be sleeping.

1635949871456.png
Source for this please?
I highly doubt it, especially for cinebench which usually doesn't really benefit from more cache etc.
Something seems to be going on with dynamic boos clocks imo

As always I'll wait to see the actual reviews on the CPU's and MB's and then order. Then again, no telling if there will be a run on the HW driving costs up. I seriously hate the way the market is right now.

The new CPU has different brackets, so most cooling systems will not bolt up anymore.

Noctua is offering free mounting bracket upgrades for a number of their coolers. You just need a proof of purchase and give them a couple weeks. Very nice :)

Very nice indeed, that shows good aftersale attention to their customers, as ever. For MB purchase just pay attention to this if you have Noctua CPU coolers:

Very nice indeed, that shows good aftersale attention to their customers, as ever. For MB purchase just pay attention to this if you have Noctua CPU coolers:

Thanks for the link!
Intel and Asus... Stating how super efficient the new CPUs are, then slamming such big heatspreaders on the mobo that one of the leading air cooler manufacturers won't fit anymore.

Seriously.. Take some of the millions from the GPU scalping to stop such crap from happening..
I'm sure nothing would overheat with a slightly slimmer and more clever heatspreader :cautious:

Thanks for the link!
Intel and Asus... Stating how super efficient the new CPUs are, then slamming such big heatspreaders on the mobo that one of the leading air cooler manufacturers won't fit anymore.

Seriously.. Take some of the millions from the GPU scalping to stop such crap from happening..
I'm sure nothing would overheat with a slightly slimmer and more clever heatspreader :cautious:
You are welcome Rasmus. There's something else about possible coolers issues on LGA 1700, have a look at this if you would like to go further.

This is the first time I saw how Windows 11 will be big deal for Alderlake, once it settles out.
Apparently the scheduling part of the OS is very important.

Very nice to see that it actually uses less power in most games than existing i9's despite having the capacity to really pull wattage if you can keep all the cores completely busy.

So he basically said that the Alderlake's performance will likely improve with time as OS tweaks are made to support it better.

Last edited:
This is the first time I saw how Windows 11 will be big deal for Alderlake, once it settles out.
Apparently the scheduling part of the OS is very important.

Very nice to see that it actually uses less power in most games than existing i9's despite having the capacity to really pull wattage if you can keep all the cores completely busy.

So he basically said that the Alderlake's performance will likely improve with time as OS tweaks are made to support it better.

What I'd like to see:
3+4 thread cinebench R15 on win 10 with e cores disabled :D
Jays2cents found one issue with Handbrake only using the e cores.. Would be interesting if disabling e cores in the bios would bring back the true performance.
And this might also solve the "core swap = hardware swap" DRM issue...

Would also be interesting if you could use process lasso or similar to keep 4 P cores free for the race sim and force everything else on the other cores

There appear to be a lot of metrics that show Alderlake will be capable of doing some amazing things once the OS is optimized to work with it.

It's hit or miss performance where it soundly beats everything else or actually performs worse seems like something that will work itself out over time to more uniformly good performance.

That said, I'm starting to think that I should plan this upgrade around a Windows 11 upgrade once Windows 11 is better sorted. This is unless they patch Windows 10 to work much better with it.

The motherboards are interesting. I noticed a number of them actually support 6GHz WiFi and much higher network bandwidth than I will likely ever get in my home with Cat 5 cable run throughout. They support NVMe for PCI 4.0/3.0. I was just looking at this new M.2 SSD "Get read speeds up to 7,000 MB/s¹ with 980 PRO". Geeze!!! That's fast!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GLX7TNT

Between what should feel like nearly instant read times from those PCIE 4.0 M.2 NVMe cards, and fast DDR5 memory, this looks like a lot of new technology that could cumulatively feel a lot faster.

I preordered my ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero and a Intel Core i9 12900KF Alder Lake last week should arrive tomorrow.
However NO ETA on any DDR5 yet, which I ordered Corsair 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 Vengeance 5200Mhz C38 so the motherboard and CPU are useless arrh!

Should kick butt with my ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 ROG Strix Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X

Last edited:
Nice stuff.
I've been looking at the Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master.

I had put off buying NVMe drives last time and just moved the SSD drives I had to my current i9-9900K, but this time I may take the NVMe plunge.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.3%