Initial thoughts

It is good, very very good.
The FFB is informative, driving feel is natural.
I like the UI layout it is easy to navigate with a very clean user friendly presentation.
The setup pages are informative and easy to use.

In full disclosure I am running a mid-low end PC (G4560/1050ti) and in practice alone on track, in sunny conditions with settings down the middle I'm getting 90-100fps.
Frame rates are buttery smooth with no drops in performance noticed.
Running an LG ultra wide 2560x1080 @75mhz.

My one and only notice is the game is whitewashed out, I had to turn down contrast and fiddle with black stabilizer on my monitor.

my initial impressions are its a good starting block but still we've got the awful temporal anti aliasing that the unreal engine brings which means pointlessly blurry graphics in the distance, and im hoping its just where this is such an early public build but my 980ti is only achieving 60 - 70 fps during a race with 10 cars in light rain.

Bearing in mind im running f1 or even forza at over double that and the graphics of them two definitely rivals those of ACC.

Physics wise, feels like AC which is a great thing just a shame im currently having to use gamepad due to not wanting to wake the whole neighbourhood and my son with my g29 banging about as you cant map buttons which means full TC and ABS

CSr5qSS.jpg

4mBEEtp.jpg

Sorry, but the small graphical changes are not worth a 250 FPS hit. It doesn't look much differnt, to justify such a massive performance hit.

Im hoping it is just an optimization issue that this early version carries, if not im going to be disappointed because the graphics are good but they arent revolutionary so no way should it be performing so badly

First impressions from me. Visually very impressive, both car and track detail. However handling and AI wise they have a very long way to go. Fortunate its early access so hopefully it will improve with time.
It's like racing on ice, didn't dare even try wet as it's not good dry. You can so easily get into uncontrollable slides with the faintest of mistakes. I am not a very good sim racer yet, I too have a long way to go but dynamically RF2 absolutely kills this. I hope this doesn't remain the case as i was hoping for RF2 dynamics with Project car level graphics and so far they only have part 2 of that.

Glad its not just me thats got performance issues, it surely is an optimization issue, there are games out there that will use a lot more graphical power than this and look better but run with more fps.

Ive just checked in msi afterburner and for the time it was running the game it was using 100% of the gpu memory 6gb nvidia 980ti

Also what makes me say this is i can upscale to 200 and not lose any fps but its still only doing 47fps as i join the grid at the start of a race even with the scaling set to 100

Come on guys, it's 0.0.1 early access. It's not polished, it's not optimized, it lacks features and it will certainly have bugs. Give it time.
My initial thoughts: Graphics good, effects good, driving is great and good FFB. I like the rating system so far and had a good time trying to get my score better. My laptime improved quiet a bit as I went on. I didn't have an FPS meter on, but it was very stable on max settings on track by myself, and I had no noticeably drops with 20 cars in twilight. I'll put the FPS counter on next time. 1070ti, Ryzen 7 2700 at 1080p.
The only real issue I am having is that my keyboard isn't being recognised to map controls to. I find the menus a bit confusing too, but I'll get use to it.

Last edited:
FFB was a pretty big letdown for me. very minor upgrade from AC. Doesn't come anywhere near RF2, AMS, R3E or Pcars 2.

Visually I wasn't wow'd. My FOV seems a bit wonky so I need to tweak that.

Sounds were very impressive. really liked that.

Still need tt really try and push the car to comment on the handling.

Glad its not just me thats got performance issues, it surely is an optimization issue, there are games out there that will use a lot more graphical power than this and look better but run with more fps.

Ive just checked in msi afterburner and for the time it was running the game it was using 100% of the gpu memory 6gb nvidia 980ti

Also what makes me say this is i can upscale to 200 and not lose any fps but its still only doing 47fps as i join the grid at the start of a race even with the scaling set to 100

I'm afraid lower FPS is what to expect from a newer title. Yes there are probably some things that can be optimized, but then again they are using a state-of-the-art finished engine, so the engine itself would not bring much more performance to the table. And the full GPU VRAM usage is normal I think, modern engines preload things in VRAM even if they are not used at current time.

I attempted crossfire on a single screen, and ... well, it went black other than the overlay :S. Fortunately single-screen performance is ok, I just can't see out of the car properly...

I don't rate the FFB highly atm, needs a fair bit of work I think. Either my wheel clips really badly and is really heavy, or I get no feel in the middle at all ( in all, pretty much like rF2, actually, except worse - rF2 just feels like underinflated tyres for me usually ) - AC/iR style LUT support might cure all that. As it is I'm scared stupid of having a wobbly moment because either I can't react in time because of weight, or I can't feel it. There's a nice feeling car somewhere under all that, you can feel it when the FFB gets it right.

Quite enjoyed messing in the rain, looking forward to where that goes.

Did someone honestly say the FFB is worse than PCars2? really? maybe if you're using a joypad...

Its going to be great! Took abit of setting up and going back to a small ultra wide monitor after vr was odd at first. Started feeling the love after about 30 odd laps in different conditions. Just hope vr runs ok. Good work Kunos

I love the ffb. Really big step up from AC.

Graphics are good but the pop in isn’t great. This seems to be a thing on the unreal engine so we’ll see how it goes.

Sound so the real star. Best sound I’ve heard yet.

Well it looks and feels really good for a beta, I thought it would have more problems.

Runs great on gtx 970 and i5 4690, but again I am playing on 720p projector.

I also noticed that antialising not looking so, great but graphics looks pretty impressive, but maybe a little to colourful/not so realistic? Also rain on the windshield could be improved, sometimes it looks like just a blurry effect on the screen.

Handling of the car feels pretty good, that is the part I was most afraid about considering the UE4. It seems correct when driving fast but during all the slides it felt less natural maybe, there was some weird movement when driving through sand. Also I think the car is easier to control, which maybe a good thing, less twitchy and you can almost feel the softness of the tires, but also it felt like if the physics work slower than in AC, maybe it is just lower fps.

After a quick 20-30 minutes practice session; graphics look good, FFB was non-existent at first but the gain was on zero! turned it up to 100 better but too strong for me, 75 was too low so now turning up by 5 and retrying. Managed a clean lap, several actually, can feel curbs etc through steering and when tyres are losing grip. Lap time about 2:10-2:11.
No judders, skipping or other artifacts (which I could see....)

1440p screen, settings on default, nvidia 1070 and Intel i7 (3770k), watercooled but not overclocked, 16GB ram.

I like it, now to get better!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea