I'm shocked about AI

Wasnt this Thread about the bad K.I.? lol
YES its bad, it sucks in my opinion and when a Dev says that you just shouldnt use a option (Multiclass race against ki) then it says it all. On the other hand he is absolute right about average joe. Average Joe only play this game cause today "Simulation-Hype" where he wants to be part of it and of course the best. Average joe doesnt really care about the actuall theme he is in, he care about hype and the assosiatet "coolness factor". Average joe download a setup from a "alien" goes 4sec faster with it and thinks he is now also an "alien" - while infact he has no clue about setup or how to proper race or cars in general. When counterstrike was the pinnacle of gaming he was there (most likely used wallhacks and aimbots), when wow was hyped he was there (most likely payed a chinafarmer), in cod he is for sure (cheats for sure). He dont care about the actual theme he is in, he cares only about "jumpduck and headshot a noob" and how cool he is when doing so - gets a boner when he only thinks about it. And of course these freaks also played netcar...cause it would make them "elite" just playing not a "GT or forza". The hole gamingindustry called "Free2Play" only lives and exist cause of average joe - they milk them with system (legal psychological warfare for profit). Thats our society of generation "I" and it dont start or stop in this tiny community called "simracing"......lol must stop...but the ki in ac is still "not good". Only good thing is that it MUST get better till consolelaunch.

I noticed over the weekend in working with Ai set to 100% they don't drive like "overly cautious drivers in rush hour traffic". If anything they pass and give 2 flips about you....now that's crazy. Turned it down to about 93% and they started acting like cautious idiots again.

If you read their latest devblog on Ai there's been some improvements in the latest update matter of fact. But still listed as Work in Progress.

With this in mind the only improvement I could see to the Ai at 100% is that they didn't "kerb" so much. I was racing on Nurburgring (Nord) and the cars were "kerbing" when they shouldn't and bouncing off them. Had they not done this, it would have been close to impossible to pass or catch I'm wondering.

So my opinion has changed with Ai...yes they act like idiots at a lower rating, but turn them up and they get a bit smarter ;) (especially past 95%)

They don't get smarter they get faster going into corners, thats what happens when you turn up the AI, if you turn down the AI to 60, I did it on a friends computer by changing the program config files, I guess you could make it 120 if you wanted, and they would practically come to a stop at each corner. And drive like drunk monkeys on the straights. So all the AI setting does is slow them down on corners.

From the quick play with it that I had, AC seems like it was done by separate programming teams locked in their own rooms, one for graphics, one for tracks, one for cars, one for physics and their code was thrown together at the last minute to make the game IMHO. They need some serious work on the AI, I mean they just run up your @rse or push you off the track, I thought I was playing an early version of Project Gotham Racing.

Note: I am going round to my friends place later and will try out my theory of making the AI 120 to see what happens, I will report back if it works or not.

Last edited:
Alright I set the AI to 120 like I said and it was hilarious, I tried Nurburgring Sprint course which has a lot of turns, with a BMW M3 and like I predicted they race up to the corners and can't take them, so they run off the track. Then roar back on and slam into you if you are in their way, they never learn doing it on every corner, I had 6 opponents and 3 pulled out during the 3 lap race, I could win the race by just driving a bit slower than them and taking the corners properly, even though they would catch up on the straights they would run right off the track on the corners.

So they are programmed to just follow the racing line and slow down for corners only by the amount set by the AI setting. AC needs to put in intelligent AI for goodness sake.

I don't usually race online as I find some drivers come on and deliberately sabotage the race, also I refuse to pay for league racing as more often than not I can't do the races at the times owing to working shifts. So I only have AI to race against. Sometimes it can be quite good but one main issue I have is when I'm flat out on a straight one of the cars behind me by some 2 seconds or so manages to catch me up and then gets a great burst of speed passing me at high speed, surely this is not right as its an identical car to mine and I'm already at top speed. Then when we hit the corners and if we collide I spin off and crash nothing happens to the other car, just carries on. Find this very frustrating.
AC for me is just brilliant, only wish the AI could be sorted.

Just had a great race this morning at Nurburgring sprint this morning against the AI (again), not the best in the world, but good enough to have a great race, definitely on par with PCars and R3E AI.
No reason to be chocked for sure.
No rubberbanding, if I had a good exit speed we all had the same speed in the straight, when having a not optimum exit of the curve, AI was slightly faster, as expected.
AI in AC is perfectly adapted for the average Joe, like me, and if it gets even better, that will be good news. Perfect AI does not exist and neither does the perfect racing game player. So lighten up everyone and enjoy your favorite game genre ( what ever that is.)
Aliens can always drive online with the other aliens or take a slower car if AI is not fast enough for them.
@ HypoToad, when you will be done trying to trick the AI in AC in doing stuff that they are not design to do, you might want to spend time enjoying you preferred racing game, the one with AI you like.
If none of the existing racing game allow you to enjoy yourself, then maybe it is time to find an other hobby more inline with what you find amusing.

For people complain about AI hitting the player too hard "which AI in other sims don't do", I've been testing AIs in other sims including PCars, Race07, GTR2, and GSC, and they do hit me hard. Two days ago when I practiced to prepare for the US GSC club race the AI hit me so hard that I ended up upside down. But all these games, including AC, with nicely tuned settings, could give great races with AI.

IMO AC might need an aggression slider for AI like other games to avoid such issues.

@ HypoToad, when you will be done trying to trick the AI in AC in doing stuff that they are not design to do, you might want to spend time enjoying you preferred racing game, the one with AI you like.
If none of the existing racing game allow you to enjoy yourself, then maybe it is time to find an other hobby more inline with what you find amusing.

I am just explaining how the AI in AC works and what the AI slider actually does, since a lot of people are complaining about the AI, that's all, if you don't agree that's fine, if some like the AI playing follow the leader, and ramming them off the track on the first turn, that's fine also. My explanation is just why they do it.

For people complain about AI hitting the player too hard "which AI in other sims don't do", I've been testing AIs in other sims including PCars, Race07, GTR2, and GSC, and they do hit me hard. Two days ago when I practiced to prepare for the US GSC club race the AI hit me so hard that I ended up upside down. But all these games, including AC, with nicely tuned settings, could give great races with AI.

IMO AC might need an aggression slider for AI like other games to avoid such issues.

What they really need is an avoidance slider, because lets face it the rules of racing are that you avoid colliding with other drivers at all times. It appears that they just follow the racing line blindly and are not programmed to avoid other cars at all.

What they really need is an avoidance slider, because lets face it the rules of racing are that you avoid colliding with other drivers at all times. It appears that they just follow the racing line blindly and are not programmed to avoid other cars at all.
They do avoid you. They are not blindly following the racing line. If you really struggle, it's either the car/track combo hasn't been optimized, or you should fiddle with the difficult settings a bit, or you should try to avoid 3 wide yourself.

Most likely it's the car/track combo.

This does happen on tracks that have bad AI routes recorded (in other words mod tracks that weren't updated for 1.2) but yeah that's an issue in any game, users can mod in content that just doesn't work. Not that I blame modders; the tools have a lot of unexplained settings, and calculate some stuff automatically depending on how the track was modeled (which naturally only works if you modeled the track that way, 99% of conversions don't)
It appears that they just follow the racing line blindly and are not programmed to avoid other cars at all.
It also makes them less confident of their brakes. What do you want the slider to do, limit their top speed?
I reiterate what I said earlier all the AI slider appears to do is slow down the AI in corners,

It's called "catchup" depending on how far behind they are, they get a speed boost, also just because they drive the same car doesn't mean they have the same specs.
That's just completely wrong. You are getting taken away by a subjective example. First, we don't know which corner was it, and we don't know what car he had and what car the AI opponent had. And we don't know if the AI got a better momentum for the straight than the human racer. Then we also have something called slip stream.
There isn't super grip nor hidden boosts for AI. They use the same car and tyre physics as the human driver. You can see them sometimes slide off in bends, or you can even push them off road.
However what AI has is better steering control than our human reactions and prediction of the car in that moment.

What AI needs is to handle better situations like when going off road and join with care. Avoid collisions, even if it hurts their lap time. I think this one is important. AI cars should have a better notion of self preservation for their car.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back