ICYMI: Laserscanned Nordschleife Coming to rF2...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Nords Laserscan .jpg

At the 2018 Sim Racing Expo Studio 397 had plenty of big news to share, not least of which was the announcement of a laserscanned Nordschleife coming to rFactor 2...

Now I know this is pretty late in being written up, I blame too much beer and too good company for that, but I think it is probably big enough and exciting enough to deserve an article all of its own - even if it is several days after the actual event.

Clearly very pleased with their latest licence agreement, Marcel Offermans and Christopher Elliot of Studio 397 used the recent Sim Racing Expo in Germany as an opportunity to announce to the world the recent acquisition of a licence to recreate the spectacular Nordschleife in rFactor 2.

Nordschleife is often one of the most favoured and requested race tracks in sim racing circles, with many of the current breed of sim games already featuring the epic circuit, however what makes the move to bring the circuit to rF2 a little bit more special is that Offermans and co have secured brand new laser scanned data, giving the studio the opportunity to recreate the circuit as it is in 2018, including several updates to the track that are not present in other recreations of the venue elsewhere in sim racing.

This is good, and marks a significant step for Studio 397 as they continue to look to bring yet more interesting official content to the simulation.

rF2 Nords Laserscan 1.jpg

As well as the big hitting news of Nordschleife coming to rF2, the Dutch developers have also announced and subsequently released three new historic McLaren Formula One cars, of which you can read about HERE, plus they have previewed some rather impressive shader improvements that are coming to the title very soon - Studio 397 making yet more progress with an increasingly improving graphical power of the simulation.

You can check out some of the shader preview images below:

rf2 new shaders 2.jpg
rf2 new shaders 3.jpg
rf2 new shaders 4.jpg
rf2 new shaders 1.jpg

Sim Racing Expo 2018 was a big weekend for Studio 397, and it looks like things can only keep on improving from here...

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Happy with the rF2 announcements last weekend? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:

Peter Koslowski

TIKAL SPORT
Yes, that's good news with the new scan it will be awesome!!!
I love this game, but still they need a new UI and the possibility to adjust the graphics for natural colours (reshade can do, but why?).

Last edited by a moderator:
They should buy the point cloud from one of the 542655 companies that performed the laser surveying before. The same work being made over and over again..
afaik there was one company that had this data and was old. I think they are being smart redoing some scans if they sell it for other companies then. Or maybe it's just cheaper for them to make their own, who knows what kind of tech they developed for this

And I will hope there will be the GP / GT track too :)
DC

They said they'll do all possible layouts, which could include:

With/Without Mercedes Arena(Nürbrguring Historic and VLN/24H use the one without, but the later use at least the "fast" version of the NGK chicane)
With/Without Dunlop Kehre/Ford-Kurve/Schumacher-S(DTM uses the "Kurzanbindung/Sprint")
Müllenbach-Schleife(maybe useable as a karting layout)

They've also said that they possibly create a non-laserscanned version of the old Südschleife(South Loop), which could enable them to make a historic combination of both North and South loop.

Now I don't think I've seen that a lot, I've raced the Südschleife like once on rF1 with the HistoriX mod.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.5%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 41 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%
  • €3001-5000