rFactor 2: Historical McLaren F1 Cars Released!

Chris

Premium
MP48.jpg
Just days after their announcement at the 2018 Sim Racing expo in Germany, right on cue, Studio 397 have released three historical McLaren Formula One cars for rFactor 2... free of charge.

Replicated with stunning attention to detail, the three vehicles brought to the increasingly popular simulator are:
  1. McLaren M23 - The one that carried Fittipaldi and Hunt to WDC's in 1974 and 1976 respectively.
  2. McLaren MP4/8 - The one that helped Ayrton Senna complete the greatest opening lap ever.
  3. McLaren MP4/13 - The one that won the 1998 Drivers and Constructors titles with relative ease.

But don't let me talk you into it, here's a little of what Studio 397 had to say about the cars:

m23b.jpg

McLaren M23

"When McLaren introduces the M23 to the world in 1973 with first test drives, they knew already that they had created something special. Feedback from the first laps had been amazing, an easy to steer car with a great balance, thanks to nearly all the weight being close to the center, where also the tank was located.

The introduction to the Formula 1 World Championship was marked as a complete success before even going into the cars first race, since McLaren managed to put their brand new M23 right on Pole Position."

MP48.jpg

McLaren MP4/8
"While the car featured innovative technology and an advanced chassis, the team was being led [sic] down by engine in the end, which didn't offer as much performance as their competition was able to produce. Nevertheless this car put up a fight for the championship, especially since it featured automatic programmable gearbox, traction control and a host of other options, leaving the driver with more resources to concentrate solely on fighting for the top spots."

MP413.jpg

McLaren MP4/13
"Designed by Adrian Newey, the new MP4/13 was a perfect fit to the new rule-set and the grooved tyres. Efficient aerodynamics teamed up with the most powerful engine (780bhp) on the grid, the car immediately dominated the series and turned the first race into a pure McLaren showcase. Every single competitor got lapped at least once during the Australian Grand Prix, just a sign of what was to come for the rest of the season."

So there you have it. Three iconic F1 cars, for free and they're available for download right now. So what are you waiting for?!

Tried the new content? Let us know what you think in the comments below, and be sure to stay up to date with all the latest simracing news here at RaceDepartment (especially once our Editor-in-Chief gets back from the Expo!)

Last edited:
So far I have only driven the M23. Its a lot of fun around Longford. I've been running with the BT44B, and the March as AI. Its a real challenge. The car feels great, and really dances around under hard braking for the sharp corners. Hope someone makes some skins for these.

Shovas

Premium
Kudos to S397 for releasing some free content. Hopefully this earns them some goodwill from those who think they went too hard down the paid dlc path.

Last edited:
Nice :thumbsup: ......please do the Eves and Sparks they are officially eyesore now :ninja: lol

P.S. Oh yeah how about taking 30 seconds to fill out the Package information for Mod Manager
www_YourModSite_com .... really
I never understood why you could not use S397 as prefix on everything you do rather then spreading official content to 4 winds

I don't recall getting a download, I need to select in workshop?

No need to select anything, in settings/Automatic updates select: "Only update this game when I launch it"

Best for mine as you get to see what is being updated
Auto " Always keep this game up to date " won't show you what you get as you get it only the size which is not very useful

Last edited:
I thought the MP4/8 had a semi-automatic transmission (with paddle shifters) and only the Williams that year was fully automatic? The rF2 car behaves as a fully automatic. Presumably, the active suspension is not modelled? If so, do they include the break-down in every second race? ;)

Also why would the digital dash show an odd version of the rpms instead of the speed when there is a giant graphical tachometer right above in the display?

I also doubt the MP4/13 had that little mechanical grip at the rear. Drives nicely with aero downforce, but slides like on ice at slow, sharp corners. Those were pretty big tires that should not slide like that when little to no throttle is being applied.

Sounds are a bit grating. Some aspects of the sounds (on all three cars) are nicely done and throaty, while the high rpms in particular start to sound hollow, digital and video gamish.

Graphics are the usual rF2 mixed bag.

I thought the MP4/8 had a semi-automatic transmission (with paddle shifters) and only the Williams that year was fully automatic? The rF2 car behaves as a fully automatic. Presumably, the active suspension is not modelled? If so, do they include the break-down in every second race? ;)

Also why would the digital dash show an odd version of the rpms instead of the speed when there is a giant graphical tachometer right above in the display?

I also doubt the MP4/13 had that little mechanical grip at the rear. Drives nicely with aero downforce, but slides like on ice at slow, sharp corners. Those were pretty big tires that should not slide like that when little to no throttle is being applied.

Sounds are a bit grating. Some aspects of the sounds (on all three cars) are nicely done and throaty, while the high rpms in particular start to sound hollow, digital and video gamish.

Graphics are the usual rF2 mixed bag.
Active suspension would need a new setup garage and many other features to the game engine probably, because you will have to set it up for every track, it's not as obvious as some people might think.

The 98 cars were indeed tricky in slow corners, so i don't see what's the issue there.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 85 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 9.6%
  • €3001-5000