HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
There's one other thing that bothers me a bit and that is the sound. When I have it set to the built-in headphones (which sound pretty good btw) the sound often switches back and forth between my headphones and my desk speakers. Not sure why it does that, maybe another usb problem

You aren't alone in experiencing this according to what I've seen posted on Reddit recently. It seems that the HMD and main speakers are competing with each other, especially if the speakers are using usb. I haven't seen a concrete fix, but a workaround seems to be disabling your desk speakers before jumping into VR and then re enabling them once finished.

Upvote 0
Vague PC issues, always fun!
Consider installing USBDeview.
Among other niceties, such as uninstalling disconnected and moved device instances,
one can sort devices by Last Plug/Unplug Date, which may help identify intermittent issues.
If/when such devices are identified, go into Windows' Device Manager and Check Events (under Properties) for "interesting" events.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Wow, that even made it into gaming news.

Geez, read this.
"AMD is aware of reports that a small number of users are experiencing intermittent USB connectivity issues reported on 500 Series chipsets," an official AMD response reads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Consider installing USBDeview.
Among other niceties, such as uninstalling disconnected and moved device instances,
one can sort devices by Last Plug/Unplug Date, which may help identify intermittent issues.
If/when such devices are identified, go into Windows' Device Manager and Check Events (under Properties) for "interesting" events.
Thanks for the tip. For now I'll just switch off my main speakers and then the sound through the headset is fine. Hopefully there will be some kind of update for my motherboard that will solve the issues for good.

Upvote 0
Finally AMD released a video card driver that fixed the issue with the G2. I can finally use this thing with my 5700xt/x570 chipset. Still have to use the USB add-in card, but I am okay with that. Some crashing with an error at times, but at least have video and no more BSOD. Here are my updated thoughts.

1. The display quality is outstanding.
2. I love the way the speakers work being just over the ear without touching them, and the sound is very good.
3. The comfort is fantastic. Not sure if it is the way for everyone, but fits my head to the point where I forgot it is on. With my Oculus CV1 I was always reminded I was wearing something on my head.
4. Only played 2 games, but had no tracking issues with the controllers or head unit.
5. I didn't experience any nausea. With my CV1, I typically had at least some form of upset stomach no matter what game. I only played Beat Saber and The Ranger: Lost Tribe though. Will give sim racing a go at some point. However, my CV1 + Sim racing = very bad things. Hoping the G2 isn't as bad.

So far I am pleased. Display is gorgeous, and this is a definite upgrade to the CV1 that I passed down to my son a couple of years ago.

Upvote 0
Will give sim racing a go at some point. However, my CV1 + Sim racing = very bad things
Again, I can't stress enough how important it is to lock the Horizon, even on relatively flat road surfaces. I have really good VR legs by now, no problems in prolonged WW2 or space dogfights doing loop after loop and 1080 barrel roll every half minute, but driving with a moving/bumping horizon is horrible and instantly induces sickness. +
Luckily by now, every sim has a setting where you can enable something of that kind - even though it took ages for R3E for example, where you had to fiddle around in the ini files a lot initially.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Finally AMD released a video card driver that fixed the issue with the G2. I can finally use this thing with my 5700xt/x570 chipset. Still have to use the USB add-in card, but I am okay with that. Some crashing with an error at times, but at least have video and no more BSOD. Here are my updated thoughts.

I've just downloaded the new drivers now, but I was curious. As a G1 user I've been fine ever since I upgraded the firmware in the headset to be able to be used with AMD hardware. I have an add in USB card as well and I use that to connect the G1 to the PC. But if you still have to use that, what did they fix exactly? Was it that you couldn't use the G2 AT ALL, even using the add in card for the USB connection?

I take it that the issue was specifically the 5700XT? Since I am running X570 also, but I am using a 6800XT now and prior to that arriving, a 1080Ti. Both with no issues apart from needing the firmware update and of course the add in USB card.

Upvote 0
Again, I can't stress enough how important it is to lock the Horizon, even on relatively flat road surfaces. I have really good VR legs by now, no problems in prolonged WW2 or space dogfights doing loop after loop and 1080 barrel roll every half minute, but driving with a moving/bumping horizon is horrible and instantly induces sickness. +
Luckily by now, every sim has a setting where you can enable something of that kind - even though it took ages for R3E for example, where you had to fiddle around in the ini files a lot initially.

Does this setting exist in ACC? I just took a quick look, and missed it if it does. I'm on the fence on VR at the moment. I have a G2, went wow when I first put it on as it was my first VR experience, but haven't used it much in anger as I just get hot, sweaty and nauseous. Would be good to learn the tricks like this one.

Upvote 0
Does this setting exist in ACC? I just took a quick look, and missed it if it does. I'm on the fence on VR at the moment. I have a G2, went wow when I first put it on as it was my first VR experience, but haven't used it much in anger as I just get hot, sweaty and nauseous. Would be good to learn the tricks like this one.
Yes it does, it's a checkbox which says "lock camera to horizon". It's not in the graphics menu as far as I remember, but in a different options menu.

That said, nothing you can really do against the "hot and sweaty". As for me, I only use VR in the cold season, since my free time is pretty much occupied with downhill mountainbiking and paragliding in the hot season anyway. This way there is always a season I am looking forward to :) talking with my gaming friends, the expression "VR season" has got quite common lately

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

AC has lock to horizon checkbox or you can use RHM.
ACC has slider under View settings. Head movement, IIRC.

Upvote 0
I see there is a Movement slider too Andrew, do you know what this affects / should it be changed for VR?
Ok, apparently it's a slider after all. The slider should be all the way to "locked horizon" or "no world movement" (don't remember how it is exactly called in ACC) at your first trys. Then you can work yourself up to a certain degree where it still feels comfortable. I use about 10% movement (which would be 90% locked horizon) in my sims / RHM (this is a 3rd party tool), which I think is both quite realistic and doesn't induce nausea in my case. I know folks who pump it up to 50 or higher to get the rollercoaster feeling, but that is not realistic at all, since in real life the brain is filtering out most horizon changes, the quick changes anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've just downloaded the new drivers now, but I was curious. As a G1 user I've been fine ever since I upgraded the firmware in the headset to be able to be used with AMD hardware. I have an add in USB card as well and I use that to connect the G1 to the PC. But if you still have to use that, what did they fix exactly? Was it that you couldn't use the G2 AT ALL, even using the add in card for the USB connection?

I take it that the issue was specifically the 5700XT? Since I am running X570 also, but I am using a 6800XT now and prior to that arriving, a 1080Ti. Both with no issues apart from needing the firmware update and of course the add in USB card.
Issue was a Windows Blue Screen/Memory dump as soon as the headset was detected.

In the release notes from AMD it shows the following:
  • A system crash or hang may occur on the HP Reverb G2™ when connected to Radeon RX 6900 series graphics products.
Although the above mentions the RX 6900 if fixed the 5700XT as well. There was a lot of joy from the AMD community forums as there were a lot of people with the issue. I still have to use the USB add-in card, but AMD had admitted to the issue now, and is looking into it.

Upvote 0
That said, nothing you can really do against the "hot and sweaty".

I'm finding a Wind generator very effective at reducing the heat effect. Im using SRS and really happy with the extra immersion factor they offer - especially in VR + open cars. That they also cool you down is a bonus.

When I turn off the fans I really notice the headset heat over time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes