HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
For those in the UK that have been checking the HP site and seeing the G2 as still being out of stock, you can try calling their sales team and placing an order over the telephone. I'm not sure how much stock there is but I've read that quite a few successful orders have been placed that way in the last 48 hours or so with delivery times ranging from already dispatched to a 10 day wait.

Upvote 0
If I may ask can someone share a link or screenshot of decent G2 settings for Assetto Corsa?
I’m using CM on a 2060 super. I know I’m gpu limited but a decent VR guide to AC would be most helpful.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

If I may ask can someone share a link or screenshot of decent G2 settings for Assetto Corsa?
I’m using CM on a 2060 super. I know I’m gpu limited but a decent VR guide to AC would be most helpful.
Thanks!
Are you on CSP discord, we have some base settings for AC and ACC there pinned.

Upvote 0
Hello, which software is responsible for this stupid virtual keyboard coming up on every klick within Contentmanager? Is it Windows mixed Reality or SteamVR?
How can i get rid of it?
1D745505-709F-4756-83D7-41AD8E5DFF22.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can't. It's a giant pain in the arse only made worse by the fact that not only can you not turn it off, but you CANNOT summon it when you ACTUALLY WANT IT.

So in general, as most things in life, poorly optimised and implemented, a complete waste of time on top of being annoying AF.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

How do you guys make it appear, is it virtual keyboard enabled in MS or keyboard from Virtual Desktop. Either one can be disabled.
May be it's from SteamVR home which I have disabled because I don't have it and never had.
May be Speech recognition in WMR, do you have that one enabled?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
You click a text box, which apparently is everywhere in Content Manager even when it's not, and it pops up. It's the WMR Home virtual keyboard. I use SteamVR desktop as soon as I put the headset on. It doesn't happen in there. It's the worst implementation of a keyboard EVER.

All it needs to do is be summoned at will and turned off without automatically popping up no matter what you click. If we could assign a keybind to summon it like you can the WMR menu, it would be fine and actually usable,

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

You click a text box, which apparently is everywhere in Content Manager even when it's not, and it pops up. It's the WMR Home virtual keyboard. I use SteamVR desktop as soon as I put the headset on. It doesn't happen in there. It's the worst implementation of a keyboard EVER.

All it needs to do is be summoned at will and turned off without automatically popping up no matter what you click. If we could assign a keybind to summon it like you can the WMR menu, it would be fine and actually usable,
So it's virtual desktop thing, no wonder I haven't seen it as never use it.

Upvote 0
Hello Thanks for your interest in my problem.
@Andrew_WOT:
Im always driving Assetto Corsa using Content Manager.
When I'm coming back from a drive i need to see CM again. Therefore I use WIN Key to get this
1613293586108.png

Klicking in Desktop i'm back in CM:
1613293885500.png

as Soon as i select a car the KB comes up:
1613294114114.png

I need to pres WIN+Y to be able to use CM an start a new drive. After the new drive is loading i need to press WIN+Y again to be able to close this Window with my mouse on the upper right X.

I must say i don't use the HP Reverb G2 Controllers, only Mouse & PC Keyboard.

Regarding Speechrecognition: yes i habe completely disabled Speechrecognition & Cortana. But even with Speechrecognition enable i have this virtual KB.

I think and hope i have SteamVR Home disable because i need the VR Controllers within SteamVR Home which as i said don't want to use.

@anton_Chez I agree with you this is a nightmare and a bad implementation I think programmer was drunk at work.

How do you use Assetto Content Mgr. without seeing this KB?
Do you use the VR Controller to select in Content MGR?
I don't want to search the VR Controllers to select Car & Track and Start the race, and then lay them back to the table to use the steering wheel.

Upvote 0
If you have an Xbox controller or PS4 controller handy, just use it to navigate SteamVR desktop as opposed to the WMR desktop. I know why you like to use the WMR one, you can assign key binds to access everything within it without the need for any controllers. I used to do that, too. But now that SteamVR works with the PS4 pad wirelessly, I've been using that. It is smoother, the resolution looks better, you have access to all your recently played titles, for me it's basically any sim I am driving lately, all accessible very quickly and easily. AND you get a MUCH better keyboard implementation.

I am still baffled how in VR there is NO ABILITY to summon a floating keyboard for Windows Mixed Reality. While in a game, like a sim searching for a server, I have to go back to the SteamVR desktop, access the keyboard and GUESS what I am typing as I cannot see the game and the keyboard at the same time. It's absolutely INSANE.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

There is an app Virtual Desktop on Steam. It is the best VD implementation around, did you try that one?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Upvote 0
I know this from Oculus Rift. But indeed i haven tried it with the Reverb G2. I will check that.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind if you use that VD it will close when you open a game. So if you need to access the desktop for whatever reason, and I know I do frequently, during a game then you will be stuck back with the previous two options. SteamVR desktop can be accessed whenever and so can the WMR desktop, ala the Oculus virtual desktop. Probably still the best version of virtual desktop for a device that I've used. The little remote was SO handy with the CV1 it's incredible to think I've gone this long without it.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea