HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
When I started out with the G2 a few weeks back it was quite the learning curve, having only had a Rift S for a few days before returning it.
This video, while lengthy, helped me out and I recommend it to any newer VR users like me.

Upvote 0
I've played with my G2 some more, but I remain disappointed.

I'm using it with a 2080ti and a 9900k, and despite playing with many settings, I just can't get smooth enough or high enough frame rates to make this device anything more than a frustrating curiosity. It's just horrible in all games. There must be something I'm missing, but I'm at a loss to figure it out. :(

And then there's the WMR software - one of Microsoft's classic B-team disasters of bugginess, mediocrity and outright stupidity. Mysterious volume changes (how? Why?), getting unceremoniously yanked out of a game and into that awful cliff-house (how? Why?), mysteriously-vanishing desktop icons when VR is launched, mysterious interference with my Sprint pedals (I lose them post-VR and have to reboot to get them back), and so on. Ugh!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Wow, but not a word if it's wider and more shallow than OEM.
We'll see the Sebastian's preview, thanks for heads up.

EDIT: Big let down
IS THE FACIAL INTERFACE WIDER THAN THE STOCK FACE MASK?

As the dimensions are based on the original face mask, it is very similar in width.

EDIT 2: Seems like Sebastian just confirmed that. Same exact design as OEM just pleather pad. :unsure:
Why VRCover, why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I've played with my G2 some more, but I remain disappointed.

I'm using it with a 2080ti and a 9900k, and despite playing with many settings, I just can't get smooth enough or high enough frame rates to make this device anything more than a frustrating curiosity. It's just horrible in all games. There must be something I'm missing, but I'm at a loss to figure it out. :(

And then there's the WMR software - one of Microsoft's classic B-team disasters of bugginess, mediocrity and outright stupidity. Mysterious volume changes (how? Why?), getting unceremoniously yanked out of a game and into that awful cliff-house (how? Why?), mysteriously-vanishing desktop icons when VR is launched, mysterious interference with my Sprint pedals (I lose them post-VR and have to reboot to get them back), and so on. Ugh!
Agreed. Not a big fan of the WMR software. I guess it does it job, and does launch automatically which I like.

For me so far, after AMD finally fixed their driver, I have had a very smooth experience, but have only played a few games that are somewhat older, and doubt that demanding. Beat Saber and Bullet Train through revive, and The Ranger Lost Tribe from Steam. I have not tried sim racing yet. With my CV1 a few years back I couldn't stomach it, so trying to get my VR legs under me. Also, a shoulder injury, and I can only do about 6 laps before it gives out. I have an AMD 3800X with 5700XT. I am guessing something like Half-Life Alex will bring the headset to its knees.

BTW...Fanatical has a VR Bundle sale if anyone needs a few games to add to their collection.

Build your own Ultimate VR Bundle | Fanatical

In USD:
1614367840624.png

Star Trek Bridge Crew
Swords of Gargantua
Creed: Rise to Glory
Pixel Ripped
Abode 1/2
Angry Birds Isle of Pigs
Ultrawings
Pinball FX2
Eagle Flight
Dick Wild 1&2
Acorn Attack of the Squirrles
Electronaughts
A-Tech Cybernetic
Space Junkies
The Assembly (Have played and really enjoyed. Story driven)
Transference - Favorite VR game.
Blaston
Ping Pong
Werewolves Within
Chess Ultra

I noticed the games changed since last night. The major games like Star Trek and Creed have remained stead so far. I have not purchased, but may be good for some.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, how do you stop WMR from starting up automatically? I'd prefer to start it on my own since I only use it rarely, when I'm feeling optimistic enough to try the G2 again. I'm not a windows expert, but it doesn't show up in the list of startup items.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I think latest Windows update did something that makes it start on PC wakeup. Annoying.
I have just disabled Reverb in Device Manager.
1614374725250.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Actually, how do you stop WMR from starting up automatically? I'd prefer to start it on my own since I only use it rarely, when I'm feeling optimistic enough to try the G2 again. I'm not a windows expert, but it doesn't show up in the list of startup items.
I have the G2 power cable plugged into a wireless plug and sync it to my Echo Dot. I just use voice to tell Alexa to turn off my reverb or turn it on. I am guessing there is a registry setting or addition, but not sure where it would be. If I find anything I will pass it along.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the G2 power cable plugged into a wireless plug and sync it to my Echo Dot. I just use voice to tell Alexa to turn off my reverb or turn it on. I am guessing there is a registry setting or addition, but not sure where it would be. If I find anything I will pass it along.

Interesting idea.
I've been thinking of another idea but not sure if it would work. I have several toggles on my button box I simply never use. Thinking to just rewire one of them, to be completely independent, and then have a length of wire running to the G2 power adapter line that is after the power box. Shouldn't be too hard to make a short interrupt to that line, but so far remains as an idea right now.

(I plan to make a remote power button for my PC as well. Just kidnap one of the buttons on my button box not often used. I seem to have more than I need.)

Upvote 0
If I do pick up a G2 at some point, I'll most likely get an additional C5 power brick cable and splice a torpedo switch into it. My thinking is that this would leave all of the original parts unmodified should it ever need to go back to HP for RMA.

C5.jpg
Torpedo.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I do pick up a G2 at some point, I'll most likely get an additional C5 power brick cable and splice a torpedo switch into it. My thinking is that this would leave all of the original parts unmodified should it ever need to go back to HP for RMA.

I was looking at something almost the same, just this morning. But I'm looking for something more discreet . I really want to try to integrate it right into my button box. I'm sure somewhere around I have some old and non-working devices with the same adapter ends (I have a big box of 'junk' and old devices/adapters hanging around). So hoping to find/make a sort of in-line section that will not require any damage to the original cords.

Edit> spoke too fast. Just went through the entire box of junk and not one cord (out
of probably 20-30) seems to fit. Damn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So weird hearing all this drama with WMR and G2, etc. Few things:

1. I've never had the WMR or G1/2 start up automatically UNLESS I've picked the headset up and it's recognised that it's either on my face, or my hand has simulated something being in there. It doesn't start at boot up, it only has ever come on when I've been benchmarking and stability testing GPU overclocks and the GPU driver crashes because of instability. It's never been a thing for me.

2. Anyone complaining of low performance and it 'not running smoothly no matter what I do', needs to understand the concept of a GPU budget. In terms of what you have available to allocate to certain things. If you're trying to run 90hz, you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT run that G2 and the default SteamVR 100% SS value. It's DOUBLE what the G1 runs at, which is the native res of the headset and the true 100% res. You either need to reduce that number to 50% and work from there, or turn some graphics settings down. On a 2080Ti, there is NO excuse to not find a good balance for the majority of sims out there, ACC included. Alternatively, try the 60hz mode. It's WAY better than the motion smoothing option and will allow a higher in game settings / SS value to be run. With VR, it's ALWAYS about some sort of compromise, even with my 6800XT, albeit a much smaller compromise. I run 60hz always because I've got no issues with it and it allows me to push the SS to levels that really make the sims shine.

The HP headsets are great for sim racing. The WMR software is not fantastic, but it's also very easily bypassed if you access SteamVR immediately and use its virtual desktop and other functionalities instead. I basically put the headset on, it goes into cliff house, I click SteamVR shortcut on it that I've put there easily accessible and away I go, never dealing with WMR at all. There are some good features it has also, but I do prefer the SteamVR ecosystem using a PS4 pad to navigate. The image is better, the access to shortcuts is better, the mouse moves more fluidly and overall it's a nicer experience.

The reason I access the cliff house first is to allow the G1 to register tracking. For some reason whenever I skip that step I always end up with incomplete DOF of tracking.

Upvote 0
I have a Rift S at the moment and thinking of getting a G2 soon, I have a RTX 2080Ti with a AMD Ryzen 3700X.

Does any one run one on the above specs or close too them.

Will a G2 look good with the above ?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Anton, please "don't blame the victim."

Sure, I've dropped the rendering resolution, I've dropped to 60 Hz, I've set it to "performance", I've lowered the in-game quality, and I've done everything else one hears of.

With all that, instead of unplayably-jerky motion but decent visual quality (for what it is), I still get (fewer) mega-jerks but tons of micro-stutter and poor visual quality.

Yay? :rolleyes:

My take is that the G2 is a product that was hailed mostly by those who started with earlier and more primitive head-sets. For them, I'm sure it's a distinct upgrade, at least if you have the compute power for it. But as someone who just came into VR, I feel the insane hype was vastly over-blown. Rather, it's a rushed let-down that needs another few generations of both compute power and headset upgrades before being fully viable, at least at specs that had been considered imperative for user comfort such as 90+ Hz, or at specs that are boasted about such as the higher resolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a Rift S at the moment and thinking of getting a G2 soon, I have a RTX 2080Ti with a AMD Ryzen 3700X.

Does any one run one on the above specs or close too them.

Will a G2 look good with the above ?

Thanks in advance
I have a 3800x and 5700xt. It seems to run fine. Your 2080TI should be much better as well. I have only played 4 games so far. 3 played smooth, but did have slowdown during some action with Robo Recall (Oculus game using Revive). I am trying to get my VR legs under me as I have had issues with motion sickness with the CV1 in racing games (and others, but just not as bad), so trying to slowly work my way up ;). The visuals, sound, and comfort are amazing. The controllers feel nice, and unfortunately I have tested their durability which in my case was good. WMR software failed to show boundaries (restart of software fixed), and I hit my chair with it, sending the controller out of my hand into the wall. It ejected the batteries, pupped up along the seam, and scratched the controller. But pressed it all back together and it is working fine. They are comfortable, but the rings are larger than the Oculus CV1 I had, but that has not been an issue for me yet. The tracking of the headset is very good, and the tracking on the controllers are much better than I expected as many reviews were not impressed. If your hands are in the view of the cameras they seem to track very well. If your hands are at your side and you enter the camera view it also does well. However, if your motion taking place at your side it has a hard time. Example, in Robo Recall grabbing my guns that are at my sides sometimes would not register. If I looked slightly down when grabbing them I had not issue. I assume this is one of the inside out tracking issues.

Going back to performance issues, I have not done much adjusting, but assume you can reduce your visuals to get the frames you want. Similar to adding more monitors or one with more pixels. I never had to adjust any of these settings on my CV1, so going to have to figure some of the graphics/performance adjustments out. I went with this over the Oculus Quest 2 for a few reasons. I knew I would be playing most of my games through the PC, and the Oculus Quest 2 link and wireless to pc has lag, and Oculus link compresses the image and therefore doesn't look as good. The second reason is comfort, and the most important...Oculus is owned by Facebook, and they are not getting another dime from me. Yes the G2 cost more, but I can sleep at night with a clear conscience.

Sorry for such a long rant, and wrote a lot more than anyone probably cared about ;).

Upvote 0
If you're trying to run 90hz, you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT run that G2 and the default SteamVR 100% SS value.

I’m out with the wife for the evening so I can’t share photo proof until later, but I’m running the G2 at 90hz, 100% Steam general, 100% per application within Assetto Corsa on a 2060 Super!

My pc is running at 75c, a bit warm yes. Shadows and PP are disabled, MSAA x4, AF x16.
It is very possible to run this headset at 100% it looks incredible. Will upload my full settings if anyone is interested.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I’m out with the wife for the evening so I can’t share photo proof until later, but I’m running the G2 at 90hz, 100% Steam general, 100% per application within Assetto Corsa on a 2060 Super!

My pc is running at 75c, a bit warm yes. Shadows and PP are disabled, MSAA x4, AF x16.
It is very possible to run this headset at 100% it looks incredible. Will upload my full settings if anyone is interested.
AC with gutted visuals is possible. I think Anton was talking ACC.

Upvote 0
AC with gutted visuals is possible. I think Anton was talking ACC.

I see. Even with your settings I can’t get ACC looking decent enough, although your settings are the smoothest running I’ve found.
I have AC and rFactor 2 running and looking great with low settings and high SS, it’s definitely a trade off can’t have it all I guess.

Upvote 0
Don't blame the product for the way it runs. It does nothing but display an image at the frame rate designated. Everything else comes down to the PC. So there's something not right there.

I don't believe that 2060 story either. That's 3200x3200 approximately PER EYE, at 90hz, on what is not even a 1080Ti. I had a 1080Ti. There's no way that I could run what is effectively 200% in the G1 at 90hz on any sim EXCEPT for maybe AC, offline, with no mods.

Anyway I'm over here loving my G1 so I'll go do some laps in it and leave everyone else to bash the G2.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea