HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
The left speaker on my headset stopped working this week, I've been told it'll be mid february for a replacement! Since worked out it's actually the headset audio connection thats the issue so now have to find out how long a wait it is to get a new headset.
this is a legacy issue from the first headset.
I had the same issue with a G1 which was why I sold it as soon as the replacement headset came.
Was honest with the new owner. Was hoping this wouldn't be an issue with the G2.

Upvote 0
Got my 3080 today, so have done a few tests, as per the last few posts... firstly, i'll ignore steamvr home, not sure what it is doing, but it went straight to 85% gpu usage and 70+ degrees! wtf?
on a 3080??

Did a few tests on Assetto Corsa, my previous card was a 1080, and on my G2 it sat on about 95% gpu usage with steam vr set to 50% and 2x antialiasing (etc).
With the new 3080, with steam vr set to 100% and 4x antialiasing it was at about 85% loaded.. so pretty good..
remember going from 50% render to 100% render is 2x as many pixels to render.

So its more than 2x the performance of a 1080 so far.... perhaps getting close to 2x a 1080ti.

Upvote 0
I am looking at investing in a Reverb. Having never owned a VR set, I have a question about contact with hair/scalp. I do not like wearing headphones (I use in-ear stage monitors) so I am wondering how much actual contact there is with the headstrap and the hair and scalp.

Friction alopecia is a common issue caused by frequent headphone use, and can be exacerbated by a motion simulator, and I'm just not willing to tempt fate! :)

Upvote 0
Today I did a race in rfactor2 with 16AI .
In qualification and practice I was able to run it 90fps in high-medium setting and SS/100% .
In the race start specially in the first lap I was able to run it 50-60fps but after the first lap it was again 85-90fps.
2080ti
I7-8700 3Hz
Tomorrow I should receive my new motherboard Z490 which replaces the Z370.
and the I9-9900K watercooled .
I hope things gets better with the new motherboard and CPU as I feel that my slow I7-8700 is bottlenecks my 2080ti a lot.
It seems that the 3080 isn’t outplaying the 2080ti in VR. My friend who got the 3080 isnt doing better than my 2080ti.

Upvote 0
In qualification and practice I was able to run it 90fps in high-medium setting and SS/100% .
In the race start specially in the first lap I was able to run it 50-60fps but after the first lap it was again 85-90fps.
2080ti
I7-8700 3Hz
I hope things gets better with the new motherboard and CPU as I feel that my slow I7-8700 is bottlenecks my 2080ti a lot.
It seems that the 3080 isn’t outplaying the 2080ti in VR. My friend who got the 3080 isnt doing better than my 2080ti.
I was planning to get a G2 as soon as they were available here in Germany, and was extremely disappointed when they put back the release date from the end of November to the end of December. I thought with my i7@4.6GHz, a 3080 OC and 32GB RAM, running a G2 would be a cinch.
But after reading 29 pages of " how do I get this to run sensibly? " and tips on how to tweak this and alter that, and maybe the Nvidia drivers are duff? etc, etc., I'm having second thoughts.
I am a fan of plug 'n play, or as my wife says, a lazy fcker :), and I'm not sure I want to spend over €600, to then find out that I have to mess around for hours and hours, just to get it to run properly.
I think I'll stick to my Rift S for the moment, at least until WMR and Nvidia have sorted the bugs out.
I mean, if it doesn't run on my present hardware, what do I have to buy to get it to run properly? This hobby is a bottomless pit to throw money into...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just thought I'd mention I also tried my 3080/G2 combo on skyrim VR, same results, this 3080 has some serious grunt. on my old 1080 at 50% SS on G2, gpu was at 90-95% and a lot of the time dropping frames. On 3080/G2 at 100% SS on G2, gpu was at 80% and not really trying. Note both at 90fps. I'm on the latest nvidia driver and not seeing any of the frame lag spikes mentioned.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

Upvote 0
2080ti
I7-8700 3Hz

A 9900k won't work with a Z490 board. Hopefully mean 10900k.

Upvote 0
I was planning to get a G2 as soon as they were available here in Germany, and was extremely disappointed when they put back the release date from the end of November to the end of December. I thought with my i7@4.6GHz, a 3080 OC and 32GB RAM, running a G2 would be a cinch.
But after reading 29 pages of " how do I get this to run sensibly? " and tips on how to tweak this and alter that, and maybe the Nvidia drivers are duff? etc, etc., I'm having second thoughts.
I am a fan of plug 'n play, or as my wife says, a lazy fcker :), and I'm not sure I want to spend over €600, to then find out that I have to mess around for hours and hours, just to get it to run properly.
I think I'll stick to my Rift S for the moment, at least until WMR and Nvidia have sorted the bugs out.
I mean, if it doesn't run on my present hardware, what do I have to buy to get it to run properly? This hobby is a bottomless pit to throw money into...

It might be that I'm expecting too much from the hardware, ACC is tough to run but I expected bigger gains compared to the 2070s/reverb pro combo.

Upvote 0
Just a quick update after more testing, in heavier scenes in skyrim vr, say down by a river, the 3080 did struggle a little at 100% SS.... Dropping to 80 fps... but then again it is rendering 19,715,328‬ pixels! ... so thats 1,774,379,520 pixels per second... dont know how HP expected people to use the G2 at 100% without getting a 3080......

anyway, 45 fps forced is fine for me in skyrim, dont notice the difference.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

We demand ACC report. :roflmao:
Finally got in a queue for EVGA FTW3 380 Hybrid. Now the agonizing wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Haha, nooo, dont have acc, AC is more than enough for me. Not sure if I mentioned, but I have the EVGA FTW3 3080... didnt even know the hybrid existed.... my card runs hot as a bastard (are you allowed to say bastard on this forum?).... 45-52 deg on idle! backplate is most of the time too hot to touch even at idle. long idle dropped to 29 deg overnight though.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Haha, nooo, dont have acc, AC is more than enough for me. Not sure if I mentioned, but I have the EVGA FTW3 3080... didnt even know the hybrid existed.... my card runs hot as a bastard (are you allowed to say bastard on this forum?).... 45-52 deg on idle! backplate is most of the time too hot to touch even at idle. long idle dropped to 29 deg overnight though.
It could be related to NVidia driver bug. https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/460.89/460.89-win10-win8-win7-release-notes.pdf
 [G-SYNC][NVIDIA Ampere GPU architecture]: GPU power consumption may increase in idle mode on systems using certain higher refresh-rate G-SYNC monitors. [200667566]

Upvote 0
Thanks,
I will have a look, but I don't run g-sync so may be just the way the FTW3 is.

I quickly checked FTW3 reviews and some had the idle at 48 deg..... I can of course enable the fans at lower temps.

Btw, skyrim vr at forced 45 fps and 100% steam vr uses only 50-60% gpu.... woooo.. I can turn on even more eye candy than I have now.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 467 70.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.6%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 306 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 180 27.1%
Back