HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
I have 3 monitors and a G2. When WMR opens it moves all open apps onto the monitor that has the WMR window on it and prevents my mouse cursor from accessing the other two monitors. Does anyone else experience this? And know how to fix? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have 3 monitors and a G2. When WMR opens it moves all open apps onto the monitor that has the WMR window on it and prevents my mouse cursor from accessing the other two monitors. Does anyone else experience this? And know how to fix? Thanks.

How are running the 3 monitors and VR?
What adapters or connections are you running?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Disable virtual monitors preallocation. And for input issue, set this guy to Manual in WMR Portal or just press Win-Y
1607884910721.png

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

16mm VR Cover for Vive Pro is here. For me personally it's a better fit as I don't have to squish super fat Odyssey Plus cover against face but for some people it would be too thin I guess, my eyes are very close to lenses and guess it is as close as one can get without touching them with eyeballs. FOV and clarity is amazing. Doesn't seem that I even need to cut a slit for cable, but I need to test more to make sure it does not impact eye to lens distance.
View attachment 425853
View attachment 425857
A quick update to face covers rolling.
Just received 18mm version, and looks it might be ideal for most folks.
The backing on this pad has plastic insert, similar to Odyssey Plus, and might require cutting a slit for cable. The one from VRCover above does not.
I think I still prefer 16mm VRCover for siting experience as it sits looser on face but probably too loose for something more active. 18mm version is tighter, more snug fit. VRCover is also better quality, but Kiwi is very good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I ask my daughter, who is very creative, to make a new cover for the G2. First some measurements so my eyeballs are as close as possible almost touching the lenses. As a backup I always have above mentioned solution (which I won't tell her yet :) )

Upvote 0
This is not right, I am using 50% global SteamVR and with 18 AI mid grid can do 60fps on 1080Ti, can have few hiccups at the start of the race but that's it. Latest settings. Make sure to have reprojection disabled.

I assume there's more to your settings than the values loaded in ACC when you apply the V60-G2 file in game?

I've disabled steam overlay and don't load msi afterburner, added the reged file from the video, disabled xbix game bar and windows game mode, finally I've disabled hardware gpu scheduling all to no effect.

Basically it doesn't look great (something breaks the immersion graphically) and starting mid pack I'm, just about, holding 60fps once the pack spreads a little. In comparison, after similar optimisation, RRE looks and runs great, same for iRacing and AMS2, in fact I think I can run 90fps in them if I can be bothered to change the setting in WMR.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Yes, engine.ini, did you copy it?
You can also enable AO to add some punch, it's explicitly disabled there.
Sorry, not sure what else to say, the way you describe your fps makes it sound like 1080Ti outperforms 3080.

Upvote 0
Yes, engine.ini, did you copy it?
You can also enable AO to add some punch, it's explicitly disabled there.
Sorry, not sure what else to say, the way you describe your fps makes it sound like 1080Ti outperforms 3080.

I did copy it.

At the moment it feels like the 2070 super I had ran the original reverb pro almost as well as the 3080 runs the G2. Not sure where I'm going wrong or what else might be the issue but I'm a bit disappointed. I've ordered a used Index with a basestation from CEX to see how it goes compared to the G2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have had exactly the same experience with trying to use the G2 and a 3080 with Rfactor 2

In VR my 3080 performs not much better than my old 2070 did , i changed a lot of graphic settings and SteamVR beta SS settings and with the 3080 it seems to only make small differences in performance , not what i was expecting.
Rfactor 2 is not the most optimized for VR so is average for VR performance anyway but the tracks also make a big difference.

I am really hoping the Nvidia driver bug which affects any game using SteamVR is why i am not getting the performance i expect out of my 3080 in VR and driving sims and will be fixed very soon.

My best outcome so far is to enable motion re-projection in SteamVR to always on , there is some ghosting but while driving i never notice it but it has allowed me to get a smooth image without stuttering and allowed me to turn graphic settings up and SteamVR beta SS higher , it looks really good.

Upvote 0
No i am definitely not getting a stutter free 90FPS , motion re-projection is the only way i have been able to get it smooth.
Magny cours was the worst for me , it didn't seem to matter much as to what settings i had , i could not get a stutter free lap , the car doesn't seem to affect performance but i used the USF2000 and the FVR V8 Supercar.

Also i don't understand what steamVR beta is doing with my SS setting as i have seen after boot up 100% = 3800 x 3700 and also 100% = 3100 x 3000

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No i am definitely not getting a stutter free 90FPS , motion re-projection is the only way i have been able to get it smooth.
Magny cours was the worst for me , it didn't seem to matter much as to what settings i had , i could not get a stutter free lap , the car doesn't seem to affect performance but i used the USF2000 and the FVR V8 Supercar.

Also i don't understand what steamVR beta is doing with my SS setting as i have seen after boot up 100% = 3800 x 3700 and also 100% = 3100 x 3000

I have been running rf2 at 90 for a while with my 1080ti and my index. When I got the g2 I tried rf2. I dont use rf2 all that often but one of my leagues uses it so its often a few hours a week.

I did notice that I couldnt keep up the default SS with my 1080ti. A week ago I got a 3080 which is what I am using no to try. I downloaded Magny and apart from it looking very cartoon being an older RF2 track it ran OK.

I would suggest (you probably have alreadly so sorry if telling you how to suck eggs here) you go in to the video settings from the launcher and turn off all post processing and have anti aliasing at level 2.

In game turn everything off or to low just to see a base level and run fpsVR if you have it.

I am running super sampling of ~50% or around 2800x2800 in steam vr. I get 90 at magny in a field of 15 (just what it was set to) ASR f1 91 cars. I can see that at my settings I am at a frame time of 10ms for both cpu and gpu so right on the edge for making 90. The gpu is only around 50% though, the game seems cpu bound a bit and I saw when I turned shadows from medium to off the frametimes went down to 7.x ms.

Given the headroom I have I think your gpu is up to the task. I am running one of the fast single core cpu's at the moment (5800x) so perhaps it's the cpu at issue right now? Either way, start everything off or low and build up.

Upvote 0
My cpu load in FPSVR is about 30% with individual cores going to 60% , never get anywhere near 100% on CPU with a i5-10600KF so i don't think it is CPU related.
Even setting SteamVR beta SS to native resolution for the headset (50%) and all settings on low for Rfactor2 with no cars just by myself and i couldn't get it to be stutter free at 90FPS at Magny Cours , my average GPU load with these settings never goes above 50% with frame times around 5 - 6ms and yet i can see regular dropped frames which gives me stutters , this should not be happening and i believe it's due to the Nvidia driver bug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Something must be really wrong with Ampere drivers in VR then. Most folks claim double performance over 1080Ti.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 453 69.8%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 279 43.0%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 298 45.9%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 133 20.5%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 174 26.8%
Back