How accurate is Assetto Corsa?

That's crazy. 5.4 for open wheel car is something!

I know there is leak of all Mercedes engine modes from this year spa.

But still from race car engineering their cfd studies were high 3.8-3.9 range.

even f1technical estimate is high 3.

https://www.f1technical.net/features/21667?sid=5bf9d342014c4fb44104e8cbd3a5d39b

@garyjpaterson mind sharing link?
If you can read it...

EpjImPx.png

Thats a Barcelona speed trace btw so I would imagine pretty high DF setup.

Wow that's crazy find Gary!

Also wow at those downforce levels, that destroys even the mighty RB6 that Newey calls the highest downforce car in history of F1 in his book.

Mark Webber pole lap around Barcelona 2010, he takes turn 9 flat out...doing peak 255-260 km/h.

Comparing it to Lewis 2017 lap he lifts during turn 9 drops to 245 km/h.

There is no telemetry for 2018 pole lap but its clear from audio Lewis lifts for turn 9.

Wow that's crazy find Gary!

Also wow at those downforce levels, that destroys even the mighty RB6 that Newey calls the highest downforce car in history of F1 in his book.

Mark Webber pole lap around Barcelona 2010, he takes turn 9 flat out...doing peak 255-260 km/h.

Comparing it to Lewis 2017 lap he lifts during turn 9 drops to 245 km/h.

There is no telemetry for 2018 pole lap but its clear from audio Lewis lifts for turn 9.
Also I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but that article is CL not CL*A, so their CL of 3.7 could very well be 5.4CL*A with a 1.5 square metre reference area.

Yep, silly me not seeing it.
So 2017 Mercedes had ~1.0 CD and CL 3.6.

Kunos SF70H has 0.7 CD and CL 3. From wings app. If we assume 1.5m reference area.
Talking about CD and CL is pointless when the cars are designed to the same regs (just makes it more confusing).

ScZ for Mercedes is 5.4, Kunos SF70H is 4.1 with a comparable setup (high DF). ScX is (edit - typo) 1.55 and 1.7 respectively (before the wing aero stall starts happening on the SF70H - which doesn't make a ton of sense as air is more likely to stay attached at high speeds).

Last edited:
Talking about CD and CL is pointless when the cars are designed to the same regs (just makes it more confusing).

ScZ for Mercedes is 5.4, Kunos SF70H is 4.1 with a comparable setup (high DF). ScX is 1.35 and 1.7 respectively (before the wing aero stall starts happening on the SF70H - which doesn't make a ton of sense as air is more likely to stay attached at high speeds). If you compare them at similar ScX's (1.35 ish), the ScZ of the SF70H is 3.7....

Which makes you wonder how did Aris (or whoever did physics) get SF70H far off from real thing?

There is some info out for the 2014 Caterham too (from internal docs, not a public video like the one above). And the Caterham, well... its probably slower than a GP2 car of the time. But even still, it had more aero than the SF15 (so 2014 bankrupt backmarker car vs 2015 front runner with insane budget).

Sorry to high jack this conversation :)

But as you all seem so knowledgeable on this topic...:thumbsup:

I “always” wondered how they dealt with the dirty air from the front wheels when
turning into the bend and having the annoyance of possible reduced downforce
were you need it most.

Looking at some of the info you have provided ; is it from the positive section above
the chassis sucking the air away from the wheels towards this positive section.

If it is not this , then how do they compensate for the front wheels turning:geek::)

You mean Forum Engineering, blue/white Nissan GTR?

No I meant the magazine Racecar Engineering; it's a technical magazine surrounding the automotive industry (mostly racing, naturally). One of their editors is a huge SuperGT fan, and even does the english SuperGT commentary for Nismo TV. The magazine has a lot of SuperGT stuff in it

No I meant the magazine Racecar Engineering; it's a technical magazine surrounding the automotive industry (mostly racing, naturally). One of their editors is a huge SuperGT fan, and even does the english SuperGT commentary for Nismo TV. The magazine has a lot of SuperGT stuff in it
You mean Sam Collins? He is the main commentator for NismoTV. I know him, I talked to him, but he said he doesn`t know anything in specific, that Japanese are hiding all the data. Thats what he says, go figure whats true.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back