How accurate is Assetto Corsa?

Even if any sim was 100% accurate and managed somehow to perfectly match all car, track, atmospheric and weather real-world parameters, why would any bedroom hobbyist assume that they should be able to match world records set by professional drivers who have come up through the ranks to reach the pinnacle of their sport, and whose whole worlds (and support networks) revolve around them perfecting their race craft and shaving hundredths of seconds off lap times? Surely this is an unrealistic, even arrogant expectation..?
Why do you underestimate people thinking they will never be as good as F1 world champions?

There are a lot of good drivers out there who will never have the opportunity to drive a race car and prove their talent, since they are not rich enough for that. In motorsport it doesn't matter how good you are, or how good you could be, you need MONEY to do that.

If Ayrton Senna was born in a poor family he would NEVER be Ayrton Senna.

I'm not even close to be a good driver, but i'm sure there must be somebody better than Senna out there who will never have the chance to prove it. And i'm Brazilian.

Last edited:
Why do you underestimate people thinking they will never be as good as F1 world champions?

There are a lot of good drivers out there who will never have the opportunity to drive a race car and prove their talent, since they are not rich enough for that. In motorsport it doesn't matter how good you are, or how good you could be, you need MONEY to do that.

If Ayrton Senna was born in a poor family he would NEVER be Ayrton Senna.

I'm not even close to be a good driver, but i'm sure there must be somebody better than Senna out there who will never have the chance to prove it. And i'm Brazilian.
You might well be right, and I was generalising. It's just that I've seen a lot of posts over the years on various sim racing forums with people claiming track/car/physics inaccuracies because they can't match real-world times set by professionals.

Sure i'm doing mistakes.

My best time is 1.47:753.

Which is your record?
Didn't do a single lap yet with this car at all. I thought about a video or replay file so we can see if your braking is off, wrong line etc.
We've got quite a few really fast guys here that helped me when I did my first race here at RD thinking "I'm not fast, but I'm quite good at driving!". Got my ass handed and came last :D
Today I'm mostly racing for the podium :)

Didn't do a single lap yet with this car at all. I thought about a video or replay file so we can see if your braking is off, wrong line etc.
We've got quite a few really fast guys here that helped me when I did my first race here at RD thinking "I'm not fast, but I'm quite good at driving!". Got my ass handed and came last :D
Today I'm mostly racing for the podium :)
I just did 1.46:470 with a setup i found on internet.

Altough i think it's a unrealistic setup because i'm losing grip at the rear at more than 250km/h.

I don't think real drivers risk their lifes that much.

What do you mean with "my first race here at RD"?

I just did 1.46:470 with a setup i found on internet.

Altough i think it's a unrealistic setup because i'm losing grip at the rear at more than 250km/h.

I don't think real drivers risk their lifes that much.

What do you mean with "my first race here at RD"?
In early 2017 and made the jump into online racing instead of just offline. After some public lobbies I had enough, got premium here and did some Clubraces in Raceroom and Assetto Corsa.
https://www.racedepartment.com/calendar/upcoming-races

About losing your rear: That's difficult to tell. Watching F1 season 2009 a lot of drivers spun!
Also look at this (didn't find anything better that quick):
The difference is that in real life you start to feel the slide at about 0.01° of drift, while with the average simracing setup, you start to feel a slide at about 2° of drift :( (beware, fantasy numbers!)

Last edited:
In early 2017 and made the jump into online racing instead of just offline. After some public lobbies I had enough, got premium here and did some Clubraces in Raceroom and Assetto Corsa.
https://www.racedepartment.com/calendar/upcoming-races

About losing your rear: That's difficult to tell. Watching F1 season 2009 a lot of drivers spun!
Also look at this (didn't find anything better that quick):
The difference is that in real life you start to feel the slide at about 0.01° of drift, while with the average simracing setup, you start to feel a slide at about 2° of drift :(
Wow...that's truth it's much easier to feel the grip sitting in the car.

Feeling a formula car spin and having time to catch it is considerably more difficult than when
a road car starts to spin, especially not heiped sometime by sensory overload going on. In a sim the degree of difficulty is again magnified because you cannot feel anything, you have to feel it through
the wheel or by visual clues on the screens.
One reason i stick to GT3 as they have limited aero.:)

Feeling a formula car spin and having time to catch it is considerably more difficult than when
a road car starts to spin, especially not heiped sometime by sensory overload going on. In a sim the degree of difficulty is again magnified because you cannot feel anything, you have to feel it through
the wheel or by visual clues on the screens.
One reason i stick to GT3 as they have limited aero.:)

Thats true, but it is a rare occurance when i get caught out by a start of a spin in GT3. And it
is usually always when a secondary spin occurs. When in formula cars i seem to need a mind set
that pridicts when i am about to loose the car so there is a minimum delay in catching it.
I would love to try ACC , I am waiting for the full realease and some of our members give a full report.

GT3s aren't great either (they still have quite a bit of downforce - or anyway enough to make Kunos tires become problematic). Just compare them to ACC...
Whats the main issue with Kunos`s GT3 cars is:
1. tires, way too good (specially Pirelli in Europe are complete ****, say many RL driver) and so unpredictable in different kind of weather
2. BOP, which is not even supported - thats something that GT3 drivers worry about the most
4. changing the measurement of the air restrictor on the engine, which AC does no support
3. some cars are far from what they act in RL, specially regarding aerodynamics
--
Ok, its still a game and only cost few 10s €, but regarding this thread as OP`s 1st post, he wanted to know how real it is. Answer is, not so real as many think, but its fun and it has great driving feeling (which I even miss in ACC EA - yet), which counts the most. For the real thing, you have to try the real life racing car, no sim or simulator will replace that, no matter what, ever.
Btw, you should try the new mod from UnitedRacingDesing DTM 2018, but wait for the new update ;) You will see how good can some mod be, personally, best ever for AC.

Last edited:
Whats the main issue with Kunos`s GT3 cars is:
1. tires, way too good (specially Pirelli in Europe are complete ****, say many RL driver) and so unpredictable in different kind of weather
2. BOP, which is not even supported - thats something that GT3 drivers worry about the most
3. some cars are far from what they act in RL (I won`t say which)
--
Ok, its still a game and only cost few 10s €, but you wanted to know how real it is. Answer it is not so real as many think, but its fun and it has great driving feeling (which I even miss in ACC EA), which counts the most. For the real thing, you have to try the real life racing car, no sim or simulator will replace that.
The tires actually aren't good enough in AC at low loads...they're only way too grippy at high loads. BOP doesn't have a particularly large impact on realism.

The biggest problems with the GT3s in AC are the aero and the tires. Both are wrong in a number of areas.

If it is the case, any simracer would be much slower in a real car.

How off are you from a world record?
Probably your best time is a pole lap isn't it?

Assuming you also would be much slower in a real car, altough you are faster than me, you still suck.

Tberg in my view is correct,:thumbsup: assuming you just got straight into an f1 car you would almost
certainly be 10 seconds off pace. But if you had a spare £10,000,000 and proceeded though
all the minor and major formula cars you then would be maybe 1 second to somewhere on
the pace but as you are an “paid” driver and not an “ability” driver that may also be a bridge
too far.

unfortunately skill is a free gift so buying it is not an option.:(

Also if you have the f1 world championship in mind i would like to remind you
that there are approximately 7,500,000,000 people on this planet and normally
only one seat available to win it.:(

Come to think of it if i were a betting man, my money would definitely be on Tberg

Also if you have the f1 world championship in mind i would like to remind you
that there are approximately 7,500,000,000 people on this planet and normally
only one seat available to win it.:(
And approximately how many of those people are the right age or even interested in motor racing in the first place? 65% of the world is between the ages of 15 and 65, so let's split that in half, round down (to exclude extreme outliers of physical fitness), and say the sample size of adequately aged people for F1 is 30% of the world population. Then, it's a reasonable assumption to say that if you'd like to be a racing driver, racing is your favorite sport. So, according to Fox Sports, only ~6% of the US population says that's the case. Let's inflate that to 10% to account for other countries where racing is more popular. Now we're already at 3% of the world's population. And then look at the people who can afford it... let's be (very) generous and say that if your net worth is $10 million, you can afford to race in F1 (you can't, but statistics will be too hard to find otherwise). Only 1% of the US population holds that distinction. We can assume that that number is similar for the rest of the world. We'll also assume that the person's family would be willing to fund an F1 ride, so we can inflate the number to 3% (very generous). Now we're sitting at about 7000 people who even have a hope, regardless of skill, to drive in F1. And even if you were gifted a seat, you'd only be against 19 other drivers on track.

Anyway, this is an irrelevant discussion.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back