How accurate is Assetto Corsa?

I would imagine that would not be quite the case for f1 with high tyre wall profile and small
13” magnesium wheels.
But would be a worst case scenario for a light weight car with low profile stiff side wall soft slicks
and aluminium wheels.

Peripheral vision is more important than you think. It is in same mix with balance and proprioception, and I think it is most important.

Peripheral vision might be important but you are not really using any of that if you drive with single monitor as your fov is not big enough to do anything with it anyways.

If it wasn't so important then guys with no FFB would.. well you'd never hear about anybody not using FFB.

You are going to different directions... Visual feedback in the sim is still 90% of all feedback. Ffb is not that massively important. And ffb itself has positives and negatives. If you are a slow driver then ffb might help you to countersteer because it more or less does it for you. But at the same time ffb makes it harder to get out of slide as you need to steer against the ffb.

I still fail to understand how in case of loosing a car in a curve acceleration can change before it is lost, and more over change massively, it is imposible.

That is because driving is about predicting the car. Not reacting to it. When you do something or feel something from the g-forces you know where you are now and should have some kind of idea what is coming. Changes in accelerations allow to feel that something is beginning to change. Visual feedback can be used to predict things just like sound can be used to predict things. But the acceleration changes before there is any visible cue to tell you your brake has locked up for example. Even tire squeel takes some time to build up because the tread of the tire does not overheat instantly as the heat builds when you lock a wheel.

The tire deforms, and everything flex, compress, extend and so on before the car is sliding, thats for sure, but it does not tell that that oversteer is about to happen, if you are experienced you can only make a good guess. Also AC does not give good impression on tires felx and chassis pitch roll. And tires respond too well.

Humans are pretty good at making those guesses as we rely on it almost 100% just to stand up or walk.

Peripheral vision might be important but you are not really using any of that if you drive with single monitor as your fov is not big enough to do anything with it anyways.

We use it, well unless the screen is very far away and only can be covered by central vision. Central vision is only 1-3 degrees. By the way for that reason I also don't use "realistic" FOV, I use FOV in between of realsitic depth, and realisitic peripheral vision. Peripheral vision is responsible in detecting motion.

Here is some bits:

You are going to different directions... Visual feedback in the sim is still 90% of all feedback. Ffb is not that massively important. And ffb itself has positives and negatives. If you are a slow driver then ffb might help you to countersteer because it more or less does it for you. But at the same time ffb makes it harder to get out of slide as you need to steer against the ffb.

True, but it tells about lateral load on front tires, so gives a cue about how front tires are working.

That is because driving is about predicting the car. Not reacting to it. When you do something or feel something from the g-forces you know where you are now and should have some kind of idea what is coming. Changes in accelerations allow to feel that something is beginning to change. Visual feedback can be used to predict things just like sound can be used to predict things. But the acceleration changes before there is any visible cue to tell you your brake has locked up for example. Even tire squeel takes some time to build up because the tread of the tire does not overheat instantly as the heat builds when you lock a wheel.

I think it is about predicting AND reacting, at least should be. Reacting is what makes it exciting, if you can predict stuff so well you are either alien or sim is too easy. I would agree with you that if you feel g-forces increasing you know that something is about to happen, but I don't think body can tell you precisely if it is accelerating at 9,8 m/s, or 11 m/s, but it can tell you if it is accelerating or decelerating. I'm talking purely about oversteer here. If you are good driver you'll be able to stop increasing angular acceleration as soon as you feel like the tires are near peak lateral force/slip angle, in sim you should feel it through heavier FFB and visual information and probably tire sound. In reality you probably should feel the change of acceleration, which would be it stopping increasing, so you are right. But I was talking about different change, the change when angular acceleration drops because car starts sliding out of the curve, well in case of oversteer - the rear of the car. In my mind it is that feel which is important for driving "on the edge" you want to tell the fall of rear wheels as soon as possible. And I say that the main job is done by peripheral vision. I try to say that in real life g-force drop would be too little in the very first moments of rear end sliding away. Certainly not enough to say that FFB in simracing should be aiding more to compensate because we lack seat feel, I believe it is wrong and I see this philosophy being very popular. The FFB should move wheel, but it should not immediately correct the slides itself, it shouldn't take away reaction from a simracer. Car balance feel given by FFB and through peripheral vision should come together enhancing each other, there shouldn't be dominant one.

Also I think that mechanically FFB shouldn't always give away oversteer, but it is just a thought, I suppose it would depend if car would be pivoting around it's center of gravity instead of pivoting around front axle, which would give neutral slide, in this case I think FFB should give away pivoting of the car. It is just a thing I thought this moment, that neutral slide should be all about feeling yaw angle and nothing else.

P.S. I Ienjoy the discussion, Thank you. I hope we both are learnign something by trying to prove our points.

Last edited:
Barrichello saying in some cases it's easier to drive in real life, because it's easier to feel what the car is going to do in real life than in the simulator.

7:12 - 7:20

"Pra mim aqui é mais facil do que com o simulador, porque você sente mais o que a traseira do carro vai fazer."

The first time doing some amateur racing on an uncontested coarse in real life (when I was much younger before seat belt laws here in Alberta) I was surprised everyone was wearing a seat belt. It didn't take me long to figure out it wasn't so much for safety but to keep you behind the wheel. First hit in a left hand corner I was now a passenger. But the worst part was hitting your head on the roof. And no, a helmet wouldn't help, it was my neck that was killer soar, which wouldn't get better for weeks.
So in a way I love the sterilized sim racing environment but I'm so blind in many other ways. But since I haven't got the time or money, sim racing it is!

If i'm 5 seconds slower than a real life F1 lap world record. Am i really 5 seconds slower?
If i'm 5 seconds slower than a real life F1 lap world record. Am i really 5 seconds slower?

Sims have a long way to go yet in general. AC, I would guess, is one of the top most realistic sims to date but little details like wheel pull on crown of road, low tire pressure and individual wheel lock up braking into corners is all missing.
If you watch a head cam of a real driver behind the wheel of a real car he is arm wrestling that wheel all the time. Even down the straights.
Down the straights in AC I can easily reach down for a sip of beer.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 109 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 82 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 114 13.4%