Hoping this is not a sign of things to come

Like most other virtual racers I eagerly awaited the release of Assetto Corsa and purchased it the day it was released. I was stunned by how polished it was as an alpha/beta/early access game and enjoyed not only the superb visuals but the crisp believable handling of the cars as I threw them around the laser scanned tracks. As each week went by I looked forward to the next batch of fortnightly content and was happy to see each new car and track was crafted as well as the last. Not even the silly bickering on the Steam forums over whose game was better could dull my enthusiasm or the banal criticism’s by the console gamers because you couldn’t ‘pimp’ your car with gaudy body-kits like Forza Motorsport or that the game didn’t already have 1000 cars like Gran Turismo. Each new announcement via their web-site or Facebook page brought more excitement – a new manufacturer license, a laser scanned Nordschleife – the future looks bright…

Then it happened. The first quick and dirty conversion quite literally ripped from another game. News spread and this track suddenly became the hot topic, the ‘must have’ despite it being taken warts-and-all from a game released nearly 10 years ago. Rather than herald this new ‘mod’ it left me despairing for the racing sim community. While many virtual racers and racing simulation sites rightly shunned discussion of this ‘rip’ there were many more making asinine excuses for the author essentially taking this work without permission and grafting it into a new sim. Theft is theft no matter if you ‘get away with it’ or not or even that you give it away freely. It reminded me of rFactor and how when it was released it showed so much promise. For months we saw 3d meshes being shown by talented mod makers working their magic on new cars and tracks made from scratch.

It all seemed so exciting and then conversion tools reared their ugly heads. All of a sudden sites like rFactor Central were awash with poorly ripped work from Grand Prix Legends, Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 4 among others. Far from pushing the genre forward it felt like we were now going backwards. The same racers who argued over the radius of a hairpin in Simbin’s rendition of Macau were suddenly silent when rFactor became awash with low poly conversions of 10 year old games complete with poorly defined racing surfaces, low resolution textures and cardboard cut-out tree’s and track side objects which screamed ‘FAKE’ as you sped past them. Questionably legal content appeared and then disappeared from the net as lawyers and mod makers played cat and mouse.

Is this really where we want to go with Assetto Corsa? - A step backwards porting generations old content complete with all their imperfections into a next gen simulation? There was a ‘gold rush’ in rFactor when the conversion tools appeared to be ‘the first’ to bring a popular track to rFactor, be it Spa or Brands Hatch for example so why would someone spend time carefully building a track from scratch when others are just ripping it from another game and fudging it into this new sim. Have our expectations really been lowered so far that we’d accept the grave robbing zombification of old content like this?

1st on topic. Its illegal and everyone agrees even those who are saying its ok. Well its still illegal.
2nd slightly off topic (sorry Bram) this thing with iracing. its the same old 'it's expensive, it must be good thing' I struggle with it all the time in my line of work. Where I am employed they sell kitchens for 100,000 pounds. I could sell you that same kitchen for no more than 20,000 and still make good money on it. Tables I tried selling a Table for £2000. That's what it is worth in materials and my time. (It's a nice table) However no one will pay £2000 for a table. just up the road is a chap selling tables for £40,000 people are queing up to buy his tables. People will either want to spend £100-£200 on a table or £40,000. I hope you get my point. And if anyone wants a kitchen I'm very reasonable. (sorry Bram. I know No advertising ;))

So as you can see, your claim of 10 cars being close to $150 minimum is a little bit out (plus apply the bulk purchase discounts and you're well below). 10 x £11.95 = $119.50 less at least 20% bulk discount = $95.60.

PS. I am an iRacing subscriber. Last car released was the RUF (3 versions) for $11.95 (which I got 30% discount as I'm in the 100% club).

;)

Still close to $150. And you can bet the Nurburgring would not cost $14.95. Plus you forget the monthly fee to use the content you bought.

I was 100% too until I let my sub lapse. I am not paying them for mediocrity.

More on topic:
I dont get it, we are all smart enough to have gotten this far and know our way around PC sims and the requirements of PC gaming that we cant determine for ourselves if we want to keep a mod or not? We will all know whats worth having.

Hopefully through the steam workshop it will be easy to package mods and get your servers setup in a way that points people in the right direction if they want to race in a custom room.

And then I see people saying they don't want to spend more than $5 or at most $10 for a laser scanned Nords and 10 cars.
That's because some folks are total tight-wads and want everything for free, lol.

Look at the rumpus that was created when AC went in the Steam Sales and had a further 25% off the already discounted Early Access price. Some people went off the rails over that.

;)

This might have already been said, but do you realise when a modder creates a licensed product and gives it away for free it is also theft of the copyright holders branding, just that the modder can get away with it under most laws because they are not charging for the content?

I assume anyone who does not agree with people downloading Joux Plane has never and will never download any mod replicating a real life car, brand, track ,etc. without the expressed permission of the holder.

No, thought not.

This guy wins the thread.

Pretty much every mod under the sun is highly illegal by nature. If the intellectual property isn't yours, it's illegal to use it in your own creation, whether you're charging money for it or not. From complete car and track models, to a simple logo. If it's somebody else's work, it's illegal to use it. Period.

Joux Plane for AC is no more illegal than someone making an updated Ferrari skin for F1 2013. Or putting Ken Block's car into GTA IV. Or "banner updates" for NASCAR Racing 2003 Season that insert "Winston" logos in place of the generic "NASCAR Racing Series" billboards.

And there were a ton of those when NR2003 came out. Did anyone get their panties in a twist because some kid with a most-likely-illegal copy of photoshop spent 30 minutes in updating billboards around Daytona using illegal logos? Nope. Everyone was pretty stoked that the generic NRS logos were removed and went to work on making HIGHLY ILLEGAL add-on paint schemes featuring companies that had signed a written agreement NOT to advertise in video games.

So all those Dale Earnhardt Jr Budweiser cars for NR2003? Illegal. None of those companies signed an agreement to be in the game.

And yet absolutely nobody cared and business continued as usual.

It's the nature of the beast, as I said before, it's part of the reason WHY you get into PC gaming, and the sole reason that rF and now AC were designed with community content in mind.

Can't believe how many crybabies AC spawned. First, people cried that the game was released in early access format. Then, people cried that the cars were too easy to drive at 70% attack. Then, people cried that we were getting a laserscanned Nordschleife. NOW, people are upset that one of the best stages from RBR can be driven with the best set of PC sim physics. What the hell man... Back in 2005 people were JACKED when mods first started appearing and we didn't have to drive "Formula IS" around "Toban."

Alot of the whinging is from the group of people that cant fathom a sim other than their beloved being enjoyable.

What do you mean exactly? If you're referring to so-called fanboys, I am not a fanboy of any game, as they're just games in the end, but stealing content from any game is illegal - even from iRacing, which I won't even touch with a stick. They still have the copyright laws protecting them, no matter what.

Alot of the whinging is from the group of people that cant fathom a sim other than their beloved being enjoyable.

The guys who grew up with racing games have now moved on, started families, had kids... etc... Where the current breed of racers, all they know is DLC and poor marketing tactics that claim a car that traction rolls at low speeds is the best sim car ever.

I remember when EA put out free weekly DLC for NFS High Stakes, and there was one site that had the entire MCO car roster available for NFS III (or was it High Stakes also?) I believe. And again, nobody cared and business continued as normal and nobody got the pants sued off them and people just enjoyed whatever was put in the dowloadn section that day. Now, we can't even post setups to "illegal" tracks without the thread being deleted and another thread about the legality of a random track from RBR being converted for AC blowing up into a 12 page firestorm.

Not to mention the idiots who claim AC is broken because a car with gigantic turbo lag and garbage tyres from the 90's is slower than their Ford Focus ST. Or the idiots who truly believe the Nordschleife is a "hotlapping-only" track because when they tried it in PGR 3 five years ago they spun out and were called a n00b by some stoner on Xbox Live using a leaderboard car.

stealing content from any game is illegal - even from iRacing, which I won't even touch with a stick. They still have the copyright laws protecting them, no matter what.

And even the logos on custom paint schemes offered up for download here at RaceDepartment have copyright laws protecting them. Better take all those down before Vita4One sues RD for a bajillion dollars because someone made a Vita4One M3 E92 without getting written permission.

Yeah there we are!! Finally after 12 pages we are at the point that it RD's fault again!

Well done :thumbsup:

black+sheep.jpg

And even the logos on custom paint schemes offered up for download here at RaceDepartment have copyright laws protecting them. Better take all those down before Vita4One sues RD for a bajillion dollars because someone made a Vita4One M3 E92 without getting written permission.

It would be interesting to see a case being brought up, I would guess that the defense would claim fair use, of such things.

That is pretty easy - it's because it is not "illegal" but actually illegal. There are lots of places hosting the files - go there if you want, you are not forced to stay on a site that deletes illegal material!

A high downforce setup for the GT2 M3 is illegal to post here because it happens to suit a converted track quite well?

If I upload the same set, but claim it's for "Trento Bondone", is it okay?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back